Author Topic: Is this common?  (Read 1624 times)

Bella

Is this common?
« on: December 12, 2011, 07:00:27 AM »
Hi folks,

I received an email from this forum a couple of months ago informing me that someone had tried unsuccessfully to log on using my name (Bella).  This freaked me out a little, and I cancelled my registration at the time (which I've now just re-registered).

Is this a common occurrence?  Or was I being singled out for some reason?

By the way, thanks for a great forum, with great protections in place.  I appreciated the "heads up" about this kind of activity, although it still worries me a little.  Sorry if I sound naive, but I don't understand why someone would do that, or what they hope to get out of that? 

olmphoto2

Re: Is this common?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 07:30:33 AM »
I do see that there are two other variations of your name on our board.  Perhaps someone (not even necessarily already signed up on our board) couldn't remember if they had already registered or under what name they registered. Bella is a beautiful name, as you know literally from the same word in Latin and Italian! :) I'm lucky that I've never encountered anyone else registering or signing in, probably because I have an unusual moniker for here and a few other boards.  If I was notified that someone tried to sign in with my name, I might be worried.  I personally wouldn't worry in your circumstances.  If you wished, you could ask the moderators to change you to Bella with an addition of extra numbers or letters.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 07:32:15 AM by olmphoto2 »
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

Bella

Re: Is this common?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 12:52:37 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for your thoughtful response.  I hadn't even thought of that circumstance -- I could see how that could happen, and I feel more reassured now.  I guess my suspicious nature has been revealed, as my first thoughts were not good ones!

If it happens again, I'll probably change my moniker then.

Thanks again!