Author Topic: nausea why???  (Read 10093 times)

carimeaway

Re: nausea why???
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 04:48:43 PM »
Man oh man, and here I thought I just had a bug or something. I've been dealing w/ some stomache issues this past week as well and thought of digging out my Zofran but didn't. Add another thing to my list for my dr. Blah.

I've tried Tigan (sp?) and Zofran for nausea and much prefer Zofran. Maybe you could ask abt it, perhaps the phen is losing its effectiveness? :( How frustrating for you, I'm so sorry.

Have you ever tried Sea Bands? I wore them for each of my pregnancies for nausea and they helped quite a bit.

I hope u can find some relief soon.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 05:24:04 PM »
Nausea hit me really hard back in the early 2000's. I wasn't able to get much sleep because of my health issues and my nausea would wake me up between 4 and 6AM every day of my life for about 5 years. It was really terrible.

I learned to go to the kitchen and get a glass of 7 up with ice and eat either soda crackers or store bought gingersnaps. That is the only thing that settled my stomach. I never vomited and would have recurrence of the nausea whenever it felt like coming, but the mornings were definitely the worse. I would guess that it was the sjogrens. I got over the really bad mornings for quite a while but they have come back to visit me again the past 4 months or so.

Probably from a flare that I am having---I know this because I am having the lip cracks again also along with other stuff. I can't tell anyone what to do cause it is all very individual. I have found that in the evening if I eat ice cream I feel so much better. Really weird that is for sure. I take my 40mgm of omeprazole around 9 PM and that might be helping some too.

I still say it is all a crap shoot. We just sort of figure out what helps by trial and error as we go along. Good luck to all. Irish ;D

dbab

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 06:16:51 AM »
Well the nausea monster hit me yesterday too all into the night.  I think it stemmed from the fatigue, I'm sure you all know what it's like when the fatigue is so bad that it just causes nausea.  I actually had to go sleep in my car yesterday during my lunch break and then I felt a bit better afterward but then it just came back again about an hour later and the fatigue and exhaustion as well.  I'm in a flare also so that may explain it all.  I couldn't wait to get home.  I just went straight to bed.

Pisces24

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 08:14:31 AM »
Oh gosh at times I feel like the Nausea Queen.  I can sympathize with you!
If I get stressed, nervious or feel icky - I feel nauseated. It hits my stomach first. That is bad because I have never ever been a big eater (I eat like a bird according to friends & family) so when I get that way I don't feel like eating either. My dad used to call it a nervious stomach.

I had a colonoscopy awhile back and couldn't even keep the "prep" down so they had to give me a anti-nausea pill there.

Cricket

• My Cancer Journey
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 12:25:33 PM »
Oh how I feel for  you.  I get it every day also, but mine is from my Fibro, my muscles get to tight in the shoulders and then run up my   neck and make me nausea.  I take a zanaflex 4 mg. and it helps alot.  Hope this helps you,
Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 01:04:21 PM »
I thought I would just mention a few other things about the nausea. Mind you, I have no clue what the culprit is, but it is very possible that nausea comes from several different causes.

I have wondered if it is stress that causes nausea. When we have an infection or a flare I know that nausea can be worse.

Also, I have often wondered if it is related to our central nervous system involvement from Sjogrens. We have the dizziness, etc all the other stuff and there is a center in our brain that is involved in the nausea issues. That is probably why the drugs that are used for nausea affect the nervous system in one way or another. The Zofran works much better for most people than the other older medications.

I have tried to figure out if there is a pattern with my nausea and I just can't find it. All I know is that I am really weird and when I feel sick to my stomach my body always tells me to eat something in order to feel better. There have been very few times that I have been unable to eat. I do go through the appetite aversions where I can't eat many foods. Meat is one food that I find totally unappetizing.

Do any others of you find that you have appetite aversions. Maybe we need to start another thread. Irish ;D

karleesgranny

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 01:32:35 PM »
Irish.... you hit the nail right on the head for me thr only thing different is when I get nauseated I don't want to eat anything but in my mind it says eat u will feel better but then the smell of the food and that ends the hunger....I have lost like 20 lbs in the past couple of months....not that I am complaining (I need to lose a few pounds) I know this is not normal....of course I have not been normal for a very.long time....LOL

ktfabian

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 02:08:47 PM »
I have what I call "rolling" nausea.It rolls through when I don't expect it. I also have the appetite aversions -which has really helped with the weight loss I've experienced, because there isn't a whole lot I can eat without getting wicked diahrea right after. It happened yesterday - I was out shopping and decided to stop at Panera Bread to get a sandwich that I know my stomach can handle.  It came with soup and tasted great, til I was about 1/2 way through, then it didn't taste so great any more. Within an hour, I was very nauseas and I was finding the nearest ladies room so my system could empty itself out. I know it's not that I've eaten something bad, and the food I did eat hasn't had time to give me diahrea. But it happens almost every time I eat something that's not very bland and sweet (usually sweet works much better than any other food). I carry Zofran with me everywhere because I never know when the nausea's gonna strike.

My doctor just started me on Dexilant for my stomach.  Maybe it will help?

Tracy

tired of it

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 02:17:04 PM »
the thought of eating a hamburger makes me sick,

genko_b

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 03:25:13 PM »
Hi Tracy:

My stomach acts just like yours. I've had the nausea pretty constantly for a number of years. I breathe through it - that seems to help more than meds for me. If I'm vomiting a lot I take something, though.

It is actually unusual for me to have a stretch of time without nausea. And when I eat, chances are it immediately will trigger diarrhea. Happens every morning with breakfast.

Like Irish, when it is real bad I have a "go to" drink and food - ginger ale and saltines. Or weak black tea with some sugar in it.

The GI doctor just did a set of tests on me and concluded that it is likely the autonomic neuropathy that is causing the digestive problems. Unfortunately I'm already taking enough meds and there is nothing more to add, except possibly something if the bouts of gastroparesis get more frequent, or if it seems like I need to switch to Dexilant from the Protonix.

I'm trying to hold off on adding more meds or changing them up unless I just can't manage at all. We are all beginning to run out of options.

Genko

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 02:36:11 PM »
I had never heard that term "rolling nausea" but that is a very apt description for the nausea that is gone one minute and back the next. Very hard to know what is causing it.

I used to think that it was from infections and the stress of being sick. Now, I just think it comes with the territory. I know that the thought of eating real food makes me quiver. I eat cold cereal 2 times a day sometimes. That is what settles the best and then the ice cream plus the 7-up, crackers, etc.

I am sure we all have our foods that settle the best. When I get really sick and short of protein I will make Jello and water it down some, pour it in a cup and sip it and dunk crackers in it. It can hit the spot. Irish ;D

JannaLee

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 03:49:27 PM »
Cold cereal works for me too.  I often eat it twice a day.