Author Topic: Nerve testing and fibromyalgia?  (Read 2043 times)

desi_20

Nerve testing and fibromyalgia?
« on: August 10, 2013, 06:22:16 AM »
I recently saw a neurologist for muscle weakness that I've been experiencing with Sjogren's. She told me that I could also have Fibromyalgia. How is Fibromyalgia diagnosed and treated, does anyone know?

I also have to stop taking plaquenil for 3 weeks (boy am I feeling it) in order to do nerve testing. I've never had any sort of nerve tests so I was curious to know what they do in the tests?

desi_20

Re: Nerve testing and fibromyalgia?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 08:01:11 AM »
litliwlowa- I'm not sure exactly how it affects the results but my neurologist said she wouldn't be able to get an accurate reading with me taking it.

Tharrell

• There has to be humor in this somewhere!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 08:05:43 AM »
My emg were normal as well and no one mentioned stopping any of my meds. Hmm, I was taking pamelor at the time that also treats peripheral neuropathy, wonder if that caused normal emg?
MCTD, sjogren's,dRTA,CVID, sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan’s syndrome,familial dysautonomia,POTS, MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia migraines,raynauds,B6,Florinef, propanolol,sodium bicarb, plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,trulance,enbrel,cevimeline,
arava,omeprazole, mexiletin

Irishlass

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 08:09:45 AM »
Hi Desi 20

My rheumy said Fibro is diagnosed if, on physical examination, you have 11 or more (out of a possible 19) tender/painful areas on the body.

He said a large proportion of people with Fibro have an underlying sleeping disorder. This means they don't fall into a deep sleep (the part where your muscles unclench). This causes muscle pain.

He said the tiredness etc is caused because you don't get "restorative sleep".

The treatment, according to him, is:

a) exercise
b) drugs (he suggested antidepressants like Cymbalta)

He said the exercise would make me feel worse for 1 month but 6 months afterwards, I would start to see an improvement.

That's all I know....have only had the diagnosis for 4 months or so now.

I exercise everyday, I call it my daily torture!!

Cymbalta didn't work for me & I had nasty side effects but the Rheumy said it does work for aprox 30% of people.

Hope that's somewhat helpful!

Irishlass

quietdynamics

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 08:31:52 AM »
Hello desi_20

Fibro at this time is most an objective/hands on diagnosis with the Dr. using the 'tender points" and  gathering information from the patient about duration and quadrants of pain experience.

I was Dx'd with Fibro and it seems to be common with some SJS  folks.
Cymbalta has helped manage the pain. Which does intensify during a flare...so once the plaquinel builds up in your sysmtem hopefully you will feel some relief again.
*Good, solid nightime sleep is crucial to managing our pain. (Always seems to intensify at night...when you are exhausted...sigh)  I was Rx' a sleep med.

Keeping a pain diary will help you learn triggers.
I have noticed weather pressure, etc. triggers.

Here is some information it is a little bit old, they are now finding that the neurons in our brain fire more rapidly sending  pain signals, so in an inflammtion state we are in a higher state. This has now been document with imaging:
http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Fibromyalgia/#c

"Fibromyalgia is a complex syndrome that is often difficult to diagnose, particularly for physicians who do not usually deal with this disease. Pathogenesis is still not fully clear, but modern functional neuroimaging techniques are giving us important data about the CNS involvement. "

Here is newer info based on over 1,000 patients . Check the info about treatment, meds, exercise, therapy, etc.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3503476/

Hope this helps...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 08:37:51 AM by quietdynamics »
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

SjoAmy

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 01:16:55 PM »
I never knew Plaquenil skewed EMG results!

Oh Gawd!  Does this mean I need ANOTHER EMG since I am off of Plaquenil, for 3 months now?!?

SjoAmy

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 01:32:37 PM »
http://www.neurology.upmc.edu/neuromuscular/patient_info/testing.html

For anyone interested in knowing what meds to stop as EARLY AS 5 DAYS BEFORE THE TEST.

Tharrell

• There has to be humor in this somewhere!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 06:04:25 AM »
I did stop the meds before autonomic testing and boy was I miserable for five days.

Consequently, testing lady said I didn't need to stop the meds at all, that they knew how to work it.

Rheumy said better to stop in any case so there is less chance of wrong reading.
MCTD, sjogren's,dRTA,CVID, sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan’s syndrome,familial dysautonomia,POTS, MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia migraines,raynauds,B6,Florinef, propanolol,sodium bicarb, plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,trulance,enbrel,cevimeline,
arava,omeprazole, mexiletin