Author Topic: Should I even be taking plaquenil??  (Read 1805 times)

HighFashun

Should I even be taking plaquenil??
« on: January 18, 2011, 09:01:24 PM »
I'm so confused. I've been on plaquenil 200 mgs for 2 weeks now but I'm not quite sure I see the point in it. Besides very mild symptoms, I don't have much wrong! My bloodwork does indicate otherwise (ANA positive 1:40 spreckled, SSA 3.8, Complement C4C 9, and Vitamin D 16). I'm only 21 and do the pros of this medication really outweigh the negatives at this point in my life? Don't have much pain besides occasional aches in my knuckles, but the other day I felt so achy and thought I had the flu because all of my roommates are sick but the next day I was better so I don't know. Also my hair texture is changing so maybe that's why I was given it? Is this a preventive thing? I should be asking a doctor, but my last rheumatologist left it up to me whether to take it or not. Any opinions??

Amanda

Crymeariver

Re: Should I even be taking plaquenil??
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 10:09:58 PM »
Since you asked for personal opinions:

I was not diagnosed early.  I was in crisis - no tears, no saliva, could barely get out of bed, joint pain, vascular problems, systemic inflammation... It took three long years to bring my numbers into line and feel  better and lead a normal life.  Knowing what I know now and given the opportunity, if I were in your situation I would try whatever I possibly could to combat the disease NOW.  Prevent what ever damage to joints/glands/organs that you can because once tear and saliva function etc is gone, it's gone (or decreased) forever.  It may not help alter the course of the disease - i don't think there are a lot of hard stats on early intervention -  but later in life I would want to know I did every thing possible if I'd had that chance.

Just my 2 cents.  Good luck with your decision.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 04:02:50 AM »
It works for most people and you should at least try it. If you have trouble with it, then we should talk about alternatives. Since I can not take it, I use alternatives that you can see in my signature. There are some things that I do that are not covered in my signature like the polar fur scarf over my head and under my chin when I go to bed.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

gurs

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 04:42:36 AM »
I would stay on it for sure.....as a preventative..you may not feel any difference, but it will prevent further damage. I went on it at a very young age for years, then
decided to try and stop..all heck broke loose...My hair actually was much better when I was on it too. It will take some time for your body to adjust.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

gsmraxe

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:37:06 AM »
I'm so confused. I've been on plaquenil 200 mgs for 2 weeks now but I'm not quite sure I see the point in it. Besides very mild symptoms, I don't have much wrong! My bloodwork does indicate otherwise (ANA positive 1:40 spreckled, SSA 3.8, Complement C4C 9, and Vitamin D 16). I'm only 21 and do the pros of this medication really outweigh the negatives at this point in my life? Don't have much pain besides occasional aches in my knuckles, but the other day I felt so achy and thought I had the flu because all of my roommates are sick but the next day I was better so I don't know. Also my hair texture is changing so maybe that's why I was given it? Is this a preventive thing? I should be asking a doctor, but my last rheumatologist left it up to me whether to take it or not. Any opinions??

Amanda

Your labs sound like mine did a few years back, though I'm a few years older.   :D 
The achy flu like day,  I get those too...means I'm doing to much and need to take a day off.  Goes away in 1-2 days.
Achy joints, I have that if I sit still too long...
I don't take meds, I don't feel that I'm in bad enough shape to warrant taking scrips...
You could always look into alternative medicine for awhile.

HighFashun

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 12:19:25 PM »
Thank you everyone for your input. I think I'm going to keep taking it and see what happens. I was just having some doubts about it.