Author Topic: Hands swollen, tingling, itching badly during the night.  (Read 11007 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Hands swollen, tingling, itching badly during the night.
« on: January 18, 2011, 08:22:15 AM »
Dear Sjogren's Angels.

Last night I woke up with my hands burning, tingling, itching like mad.

Both hands.

I have severe osteoarthritis is both hands, so even scratching them lightly hurts.

i just didn't know what to do, and after an hour I got up and ran hot water on them.

That seemed to help a bit.

This morning i can see that they are mildly swollen, the right more than the left.

is there NO END to the weird things that can happen.

my head has been itching mildly for months now, and I try not to scratch and create raw spots, cause I'm getting my hair colored tomorrow and raw spots are terrible for that process.

My lips tingle and itch too, and around my lips

It almost seems like an allergic reaction, but WHAT would make my hands only itch beyond belief?

I'm starting to keep a calendar of my symptoms,  just to be able to remember when stuff appears.

I don't expect a magic answer.  I Googled the symptoms this morning, and got nowhere.   Well suggestions to have blood work done for RA and AI conditions.  But I'm totally sero normal.

Soooooo

Just venting, hubby does not want to hear about this.  But he did confirm the swollen hands part, which helps me feel less paranoid and hypochondriacal.

Keep posting

Kisses

Elaine
Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuro.-CAD-Osteoarthritis-Auto.Neuro-SFN-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-A Lipoic-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric-Aleve-D3-Omega3

dbab

Re: Hands swollen, tingling, itching badly during the night.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:50:41 AM »
Hi Elaine,

Have you used any new products on your hands like a lotion or maybe used a cleaning product that you may have had an allergic reaction to?  I noticed that before on my hands with new lotions so I've had to just stick to one that worked.  With cleaning products, well it's always gloves for me now.

Just throwing ideas out there, I'm sure others may have some different ones.

Hope you get to the bottom of this mystery.  I'm sorry your husband won't hear of it.  I can totally understand. :(

((HUGS))

Eileen

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:08:52 PM »
Hi Elaine,

I had similar issues with my scalp, hands and feet. My scalp was sore and burned. The back of my hands itched, burned and were swollen. Even the top of my feet itched like crazy, but no rash. The only thing I could think of that touched these areas was shampoo & conditioner. When I rinsed my hair in the shower it hit the top of my feet. I changed shampoo and it stopped.

I haven't been able to pinpoint what ingredient bothered me but some shampoos do and others don't.
It seems like the good expensive shampoos are the ones that I'm allergic to.

Eileen
Sjogren's, Fibromyalgia, Facet Joint Syndrome, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis and Asthma
Plaquenil, Hydrocodone, Albuterol, Vit D & C

tired of it

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 01:48:25 PM »
Elaine,
  I have scratched my head raw, its not a nervous thing, its the darn neuropathy doing it, my hands are like yours,, they just hurt, I get some relief from hot waater but you cant sit in the sink running water over them all day, yes my lips tingle and feel dry all the time, I have no idea whats doing it, no one else seems to know either,
  I tried using one of those things in the shower that you can put body wash on,, (skrungie?),, I might as well get my legs and arms sand blasted,, it just felt like my legs and arms literally were getting the skin ripped off, I dont think your alergic to any shampoo unless you jsut changed it,, but that doesnt account for the lips tingling, or the swelling, truthfully,, its one of those things we sereo negative souls suffer through, until we get that AHA moment,, were just going to get the looks, We need to be validated that we are sick with something that can be found before were even taken serious, even from our familys

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »
I am going to suggest that you stretch your shoulders open and massage your pec's. If you sleep on your side, you may want to change to your back. At our age, sleeping on our tummy is out (neck problems).
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Catilee2

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 05:45:22 PM »
Hi,
   Like Tired of It, my neurologist attributed these symptoms to the PN. It bothers me more in winter than other times. On occasion it does bother me after too warm a shower and if I have been sweating for any reason.
 And yes, the OA in the hands makes it even tougher to deal with. Last week I tripped and fell backwards. As I fell, I hit the outside of my right hand /wrist and added new discomfort to the hand. Someone said in one of their posts, we have a disorder that just keeps giving and giving.  It was no fun shoveling( 5-6") out today before the sleet started here in VT.  At least it won't be too heavy tomorrow when my husband and I have to shovel again. I hope you feel better.

Catilee 2

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 09:18:39 PM »
Dearest Angels:

Thanks for all the ideas and the TLC.

It is probably from my severe cervical degenerative disc disease.   I have spondylosis, and my neck is so bad most doctors wonder why I haven't had surgery..

My neuro thinks all my neuropathy is from my neck and possibly my lumbar spine deterioration.

Several things I read today indicated that all of these feet and hand problems can be related to my neck alone!

Here's a link at the Mayo:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cervical-spondylosis/DS00697/DSECTION=symptoms

and Here's the Medline from NIH.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000436.htm

I have a mechanism for stretching my neck, which hangs in a door way.  It takes the pressure off for an hour or so at a time and should help a bit.

I have cervical collar, but I think I got rid of it with the last move.

I will try heat, and stretching, and taking Tylenol regularly, along with the Aleve and other things.

I'm just tired of it.

But I will bear up and be a grown up!!!

It got worse, so it could actually get a bit better.

Anyway, the outcomes of surgery are very discouraging, to say the least.

I'll keep you posted!

Kisses

Elaine
Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuro.-CAD-Osteoarthritis-Auto.Neuro-SFN-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-A Lipoic-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric-Aleve-D3-Omega3

dainbramage

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 12:40:28 PM »
I wake up with my hands, legs and feet are swollen. My right ear starts itching and that lets me know my body is getting ready to start itching, my head starts itching like I have dandruff. My lips were swollen this week. I have not changed any deodorants, cleaning supplies, or makeup. I take a Zyrtec and hope it takes.
44 with SJS, IBSc, migraines, brain fog and fibro. Dry skin, burning tongue, dry mouth, swollen glands, dry female area, numb toes, tingling fingers. On plaquenil, pilocarpine, cymbalta, zyrtec, provigil, vit D, mag, Amitiza for IBS, treximet for migraines.
I Live For Chocolate

tired of it

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 02:46:05 PM »
Elaine, you dont need to suffer like this, none of us do,, call your Doctor and tell them your tired of this nonsense, they treat animals better then us at times,