Author Topic: Knees, hips, ribs ouch  (Read 3713 times)

eyeamdry

Knees, hips, ribs ouch
« on: January 15, 2011, 09:40:09 PM »

I am going to Fla in Feb for the last two weeks.  I have had terrible pain in my knees.  I am near replacement on the one that hasn't had it yet and the other had a half replacement 7 years ago.  That one is loose and will have to be totally replaced.  I can't hardly walk and in addition 4 weeks ago, I had surgery on my big toe and that is doing ok thankfully.  I was set for a cortisone shot on 1-27 so hoping it will help the one knee for my trip to Fla and I'll be able to at least walk around with crutches or walker. Ugh.  I am going to my sister's house and she weighs 110 and can race-walk and beat Lance Arrmstrong on his bike.

I did call my orthodoc late Fri and said I need something done.  I am still going to Fla no matter what he does or doesn't do.  I'm guessing he'll try a cortisone hot.  I've had those all over in every joint.  Sometimes they help and sometimes they don't, so I'm 50/50 on this.  I'm thinking a knee replacement will be in order when I get back in the early spring.  This one knee started to hurt one morning about 8 months ago when I woke up very sick and everything hurt.  I slowly felt better over a few weeks, but the knee never got better.  Only worse.

I am shuffling around the house like a 90 y/o.  I'm old but not that old.  I still can't get a shoe on the surgical foot.  This knee has begun to bother my hip and lower back and even my ribs.  I will keep this up to date.  The orthodoc is 1 hr away and we have a lot of snow and more coming.  Thankfully, we have a 4x4 truck.  Hubby will have to bring a chain fall, throw it over the tree limb and hoist me in.  Thankfully, my GP gives me pain pills and the other doc always wants to know WHO GIVES YOU THE PAIN PILLS?  My family doc of 30 years.  Goodnight all.  The bed is all warmed up and I'd better get in next to the
CPAP man.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Re: Knees, hips, ribs ouch
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 02:49:22 PM »
Lucy,

Sorry that your knees, hips and ribs are hurting.   :(  Hopefully, the doc can give you something to help ease the pain so you'll be able to enjoy Florida when you go there. 

I'm guessing, but I bet you don't plan on competing with your sister in the race-walk or bike riding, huh?

Hope your body feels better soon. 

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

eyeamdry

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 03:22:46 PM »
Thanks Bucky, I think I'll be happy to sit anything out and watch.  I will be able to go to her water exercise class though, I hope.  The sun and weather should be a nice change of pace from the frozen Michigan.  It was 7 degrees last night.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 05:57:16 PM »
Hi Lucy  :)

When you go to FLA how about hiring a wheelchair or an electric scooter thing. It would be better than hobbling in agony!!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Meld256

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 09:00:55 PM »
Lucy,

I'm also sorry you're having so much knee, hip, and rib pain. Hopefully, the doc will be able to find you some relief so you can go to FL and enjoy!  ;)  I know frozen Michigan is sooo cold right now. We are here, too.  It was 9 degrees when my husband went to work.
Sending you good wishes and luck. Enjoy your time in the sun...

Melinda

Sha

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 09:28:01 PM »
Lucy~ I feel ya on this girl...I have a bum knee from breaking up a bar fight in 2007. The surgery made it worse and now my other joints are following! :o I often wonder which came first, my joint issues or the injury from the fight?

I sure hope ya get some relief from the pain and can enjoy your time with your family!! ;D

Sha sending ya hugs (((((((LUCY))))))) :-*

eyeamdry

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 09:42:04 PM »
Thanks, gals.  Sha, about which came first with you-you'll probably never know.  I already have a half-knee replacement from 7 years ago that is loose and needs to have a full replacement.  I thought that knee was bad because I'd broken the ankle in the other leg some years before that and had to favor the right leg as I was in a cast for 4 1/2 months and working.  I thought it's natural this might break down that knee.

Well, I was dx with SJS a few years later and who is to say that SJS doesn't have a lot to do with this stuff on my joints?  It doesn't matter either way, but I need them both fixed. 

My trip to Fla is the last two weeks in Fla.  My birthday is in there and that's always a nice time to go.  We stay with my sister in her new 4 br/2 bath house!
My husband has a sister who lives 15 minutes away from her.  So we have a couple of different places to go and visit, plus can figure out some day trips where I don't have to walk much.  I am not above renting a wheelchair or scooter if we can rent one someplace. Lucy

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 09:46:30 PM »
South, Mid, or Northern Florida?
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 11:22:19 PM »
Lucy I hope you have a wonderful time in Florida. Use what you can to get around as easy as possible.

susanep  :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

eyeamdry

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 05:00:15 PM »
Joe, we are going to the west coast about an hour north of Tampa.  Nearest "big" town is Ocala and that is about 50 miles to the east. 

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 09:11:17 PM »
I was asking because we used to spend time in central during February.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 09:18:05 PM »
Lucy, I am so sad to hear that you are in such pain. I am hoping and praying that you will perk up when you get down where there is some sun and heat. We have had such weird weather this winter and I think that it messes with the arthritis pain and the sinuses.

Please rest up and if you have to stabilize your whole leg with an ace wrap or a thigh high support hose,etc. so be it. At least you will be able to maintain more stability of the knee joint. Please have a good time down there and eats lots of fun food and just sit in the shade in the warm weather and enjoy it. Irish ;D

dbab

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 06:06:59 AM »
Lucy, Like Irish said, the change of weather may actually help with your pain and lift your spirits.  I hope you are able to enjoy the time in Fla Lucy.  Take it easy before you go so you can conserve any energy to take with you :D

eyeamdry

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 04:01:34 PM »
I got a cortisone shot in my knee yesterday and am sooooo much better.  Now if I can just hang in there with this helping for a couple of months, I'll be happy and look at the real problem when we get back.

dbab

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 07:52:29 PM »
Hoping the cortisone shot lasts for you Lucy so you can have a wonderful time on your time away!

dbab