Author Topic: Sinus and ear infection, how when were so dry?  (Read 2286 times)

mews

Sinus and ear infection, how when were so dry?
« on: January 14, 2011, 08:26:24 AM »
I am having the worst ear pain the last 2 days all around my ear, in and down my neck, including my teeth, swollen lymph nodes same side, on front and back of neck, and I believe a sinus infection, even though nothing is moving just pain and dryness, and I can't breath from my nose at all. I also keep getting a  bloody nose on one side. It is so hard to wear my glasses!

My question is it possible to get a sinus infection when your so very dry? I use the AYR constantly and the ENT told me to put a little Vaseline just on the inside of my nose, it helps for about a half hr then very dry again.. wondering if doing this is actually making my nose worse???

I really don't want to go to the Dr again, I know you all know how I feel!!!! The Dr's I want to see are very far away and I do have an antibiotic I can take but really don't want to.

Second question should I start that antibiotic??? I will be flying to NY in about 6 days, very nervous about the plane and the ear pain.. any thoughts???

Feel well all Mary

anita

Re: Sinus and ear infection, how when were so dry?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 11:19:43 AM »
You definitely want to get this under control before getting on a plane.

I would think logic may help explain the reason for sinus infections when we are so dry:  The less moisture, the less ability for proper drainage...then this gunk sits and breeds instead of moving along.

This would apply to sinuses, ears, throat...etc

Give the doc a call about starting the antibiotic.
50 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (PID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Nitro, Cardizem, Imdur, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Oxycontin, Zofran

gsmraxe

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 11:36:34 AM »
I am having the worst ear pain the last 2 days all around my ear, in and down my neck, including my teeth, swollen lymph nodes same side, on front and back of neck, and I believe a sinus infection, even though nothing is moving just pain and dryness, and I can't breath from my nose at all. I also keep getting a  bloody nose on one side. It is so hard to wear my glasses!

My question is it possible to get a sinus infection when your so very dry? I use the AYR constantly and the ENT told me to put a little Vaseline just on the inside of my nose, it helps for about a half hr then very dry again.. wondering if doing this is actually making my nose worse???

Hi Mary,

Yes, I frequently get infections, even though I don't produce  much mucous anymore.  My last surgery they did a culture of my nose while I was out, and I found out I have staph.  (private rooms rock!!!)  After some reading, I figured out I have chronic sinusitis from the bacteria, which is common with SJS patients and causes the infections. 

Try the neti pot, the neilmed bottle, there's others out there.  There's AYR gel (sp??) and Ocean and it's generics.  I use the Neilmed bottle, and also carry around the sinus spray.  The gels probably work better than vaseline as they're not as greasy.

Hope this helps!!!  Good luck Mary!

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 11:59:08 AM »
Well, looking for logic with SJS?

I think the dryness creates areas for infection to get into the tissues.

Think of cracked lips, and abraded corneas.

Our body fluids have protective qualities.

Your saliva for example has enzymes that protect your teeth from cavities.

When you don't have enough, you are more likely to get cavities.

Which reminds me to get an appointment with my Otolaryngologist to check on my deviated septum.

I have had a headache (probably sinus) for almost two years now.

But I think it was worse in El Paso,which was sooooo dry.

Anyway, a lot of this disease is beyond understanding.

How can I be both hot and cold AT THE SAME TIME?

sigh.

Kisses

Elaine
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 03:45:47 PM by Carolina »
Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuropathy-CAD-Osteoarthritis-POTS-Auto.Neuro-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-Alpha Lipoic-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric,more..

mews

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 12:16:36 PM »
Thanks gsmraxe,
  I didn't know AYR made a gel I will get some and I have a neti pot, and I will start using that also. I never though of using it at all..

Thanks for the good ideas !!!

Anita, there is no such thing as logic with me any more, my brain fog has become so ridiculous that simple tasks have become very hard!

Feel well all
Mary

tired of it

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 12:30:26 PM »
My ENT is out of town and his fill in called yesterday, I tried to explain to her that this time its so thick that I can barely cough it up, but of course I get the same old tired line, we;ll call in a antibiotic since you tested positive for MRSA last time, and keep using your netti pot,, the drug store called a bit ago, we dont have doxycycline in stock can you wait till Monday,, I guess I have too unless you intend on making them yourself, I agree private rooms rock, but a hospital is one of the last places  I want to be in, places just reek of germs and death

shortstuff

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 01:20:46 PM »
I just got over a sinus infection.  It lasted almost 3 weeks and I had horrible gunk in the back of my throat and thought I was going to die choking on it at night.  My nose was so dry and cracked (hard to believe it was drier than usual) and it got infected with cold sores.  I would just get yourself an antibiotic.  A z-pack finally helped me kick it.  Now I'm just back to my normal level of discomfort.  Haha, but it is better.  It sounds like you have it bad if your teeth are starting to hurt, I wouldn't wait to try and get better on your own.

I was talking to my doc about using vaseline in my nose and she said to be very careful.  She said there really isn't much you can safely put up there.  With vaseline you can get some kind of oil pneumonia if you end up inhaling big enough particles.  I was wondering about that since it's made of petroleum.  I got something called Rhinaris from my allergist, it's a saline gel, but it crusts up overnight and can be annoying.  I have to try this AYR stuff.

I also have staph in my nose.  Last fall it migrated to my chin - I thought I had a few zits that wouldn't go away but nope, it's staph.  Still not sure if it's gone.

irish

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 02:11:46 PM »
I have had 10 sinus infections this year alone. I have the sjogrens plus the severely low t-cells so high risk for infection.

I will tell you that when you get sick take the antibiotics because you will just get a worse infection. I will also tell you that I have lost the hearing completely in my right ear and I believe it is from flying with an ear infection even though I was on medication.

The dry mucus we have is not normal mucus so the bacteria are not killed off by the normal bacterial flora of the nose and sinuses like they used to be. Also, when we are dry our mucus membranes crack and bacteria are able to enter and cause infection.

It is good to irrigate your nasal passages with saline/salt mixture. A Neti pot or the squeeze bottle that they also make works really well and is an absolute necessity. I am surprised that your ENT didn't advise you to do the irrigations.

Be aware that when we have the sjogrens and get ear infections we have very unusual symptoms that are hard for us to describe and understand. Also, the symptoms are hard for the ENT to understand. I have had 4 tubes in my right ear in the past several years and probably will get another one next week.

Knowing what I know now I (myself) would not fly at all with an ear infection even if on the tail end of the antibiotics. The cabin pressure pushes the bacteria in strange places so that they sit and simmer and more infection comes later. I flew in May of 96 and had a plugged sinus and right ear in June and just figured it was from flying. In July I had the worse infection in chest and many times to the doctor. It took me another 3 times to get diagnosed with ear infection and pneumonia and then I had to fight like crazy to get to an ENT cause I knew something was wrong.

I was right---bad, bad ear infection with tube and more antibiotic. The hearing loss started soon after and went quite fast. In 2 years I was pretty much totally deaf. Not worth taking any chances after I learned what had transpired in my case. Good luck. If you can see a doctor close to you it might be good to go as you may need to have your eardrum lanced and a tube put in. That would make the flight a lot safer. Good luck. irish ;D

DryEyes

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 02:28:16 PM »
Mews

Sounds like I just went through the same thing as you are going through.  The Dr thought it was strep throat.  Not sure but he gave me antibiotics and it helped.  The swelling has gone down, just not quite gone.   I would take the antibiotics if it were me.   Also I read somewhere that if you use external earplugs (noise reducing ones) while assending and descending  it helps with the pain.   We went on vacation in September and I caught a cold.  My ears seem to have slammed shut.   Upon the return to home my ear hurt something awful and I couldn't hear with my right ear once we landed.  It did clear up over a few days.   Next time I am going to try the earplug method.   
As for the dry nose I use a product called "Secaris"   lubricating nasal gel.  I find it works wonders and lasts.  Seems to form a semi protective lay on the passage which help to keep the moisture where it belongs.     Hope this help in some way.  :)

mews

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 06:53:36 PM »
Holy Moly, I am getting very worried about the flying next week, I have had lots of pain in my ears while flying, I found sucking on sugarless suckers helps a lots, but I am going to try the ear plugs also!

I also started the antibiotics today, I am not taking any chances... I have to go to NY and see 4 different Dr's in 2 days, the dentist rotting teeth, the Urologist IC, Mamo Lump in L breast, Gastro major issues?? So no matter what I have to go..

Feel Well All
Mary

irish

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 11:00:27 PM »
I used ear plugs when I flew and it didn't seem to help much. The one kind that were more spendy and more sophisticated seemed to help a little. I then read a study that they did on all ear plugs for flying and it said that none of them did much at all. Probably it was just in my head.

Several years after I had the infections and lost my hearing I had to fly again. My ENT told me to use Afrin nasal spray just before I boarded the plane. He said that would help dry up the tubes, etc. I don't think it helped any. I just plane have problems when I fly. Just terrible pain in my ears on descent---I hold my head and try not to cry and scream. I would bet that the high degree of inflammation from autoimmune disease is what causes the bad pain. Irish ;D

DryEyes

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 12:27:58 AM »
good to know about the ear plugs.  Only just read the artical a few months ago.  I also think it depends on how fast they descend.   We started out at 50,000 feet over Seattle when he began the decsent.  Landed in Vancouver shortly there after.  Dropped about 44,000 in about 10 or so minutes.  NOT Impressed with my ears at all.   Funny thing is I had no problem when we began our journey.      I sure hope you feel better and soon Mews.    And I wish you well 

irish

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 01:08:01 AM »
Dryeyes, I didn't have trouble with the ascent of the plane either. I have often wondered why the ears don't hurt as you ascend. I would think it would be the same thing as descent only the opposite. It seems that the ear drums should hurt both times.

All I know is that I can't hardly stand to descent. One time we had to circle OHare for 1 1/2 hours during a 6PM landing. I thought I would die all that time. I don't remember how high we were but we had descended from around 38,000 feet. Maybe somebody can explain that to me. I get the coming down, but not the going up!!!!! Irish ;D

mews

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 07:53:17 AM »
Irish, and the sucking of candy doesn't help? I found it helped me the last time I flew, but I wasn't like this!!!! Now I'm nervous.

Feel Well All
Mary

jaygee

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 05:12:56 PM »
Ascending and descending causes me problems too.  Ears just pop going up, but hurt like heck coming down  :(

I reckon that, when you go up, it is a smooth ascent to your travelling altitude - a gradual but quite quick event.

But .... when you come down, you do it in stages, and your ears don't fully have chance to register at a level, before you change altitude again, and you might mess around at various levels for a while, due to other aircraft in the area, etc, whilst waiting to land.

Going up is quick, coming down is in stages.

Anyhow that's my theory  ;D
Sicca Syndrome, IBS, Reynaud's, GERD
Plaquenil, Meloxicam, Omeprazole