Author Topic: Tongue sore and lymph node in neck swollen  (Read 18441 times)

dainbramage

Tongue sore and lymph node in neck swollen
« on: January 12, 2011, 08:20:23 AM »
My right side of the tongue is painful. I can't find a sore on my tongue.  My right side lymph node on the back of my neck is swollen and painful.  My rheumy ordered a CAT scan with contrast, will that show infection? This has been going on for a while?
44 with SJS, IBSc, migraines, brain fog and fibro. Dry skin, burning tongue, dry mouth, swollen glands, dry female area, numb toes, tingling fingers. On plaquenil, pilocarpine, cymbalta, zyrtec, provigil, vit D, mag, Amitiza for IBS, treximet for migraines.
I Live For Chocolate

anita

Re: Tongue sore and lymph node in neck swollen
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 08:57:35 AM »
I don't think a CT can show infection...unless huge.  But I could be wrong (we'll see when others posts--LOL)

Around T-Giving, I had every lymph node swollen on one side of the back of my head (yes, there are nodes on the scalp) & side/back of neck.  My jaw was sore also (same side).  They couldn't find the exact source, but guessed that it was the parotid gland.  A Z-pack did the trick.  However it took several weeks for the nodes to completely go down.

Nodes on the scalp/head are extremely painful since they are trapped between the scalp and skull so have nowhere to expand without pressure on the many nerves.  It can (and did for me) create a condition call occipital neuralgia due to the inflammation of those nerves. 

Hopefully you will get this resolved before the infection affects other nodes (like on the scalp).

Keep us posted
50 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (PID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Nitro, Cardizem, Imdur, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Oxycontin, Zofran

Meld256

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 02:57:11 AM »
Hi dainbramage,

My rhuemy ordered a CT with contrast last Sept. because my left jaw was swollen and very sore. (It had been a little sore for a couple of mths. but gotten so that it hurt just to try to turn my head)

At first, he ordered an ultrasound and it was thought I had a cyst. The CT showed that there was no cyst but it was infection in my partoid gland.  After some antibiotics it seemed to clear.
I think the CT will get you some answers. It actually helped my diagnosis, because until then he was telling me "you ONLY have fibromyalgia and some type of arthritis". uh-huh...

Let us know the outcome, ok? Hugs,
Melinda
57, female, Sjogren's dx 09/2010, Fibromyalgia and CFS dx 04/2009, meds: Savella, trazodone, Relafen, Plaquenil, Restasis, FreshKote eye drops, Bepreve drops, Optive Refresh, Biotene OTC products, retired/SS 12/2010

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html

dainbramage

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 05:57:35 AM »
Th CT showed swollen lymph node but nothing else.  My gland in front of my left ear is swollen and painful.  I am waiting to hear from my rheumy. However, I was astounded my rheumy wanted me to see my GP for this problem. I thought glands should be her problem. I am going to ask her next time I see her. I was kind of put off by this.
44 with SJS, IBSc, migraines, brain fog and fibro. Dry skin, burning tongue, dry mouth, swollen glands, dry female area, numb toes, tingling fingers. On plaquenil, pilocarpine, cymbalta, zyrtec, provigil, vit D, mag, Amitiza for IBS, treximet for migraines.
I Live For Chocolate

Meld256

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 06:19:02 AM »
I'm a bit confused, too, as to why the rheumy wants you to see your GP.  Would at least think that since she ordered the CT, she would be the one to give you more information about the results. I would be upset by them seeming to "pass me off", too!
57, female, Sjogren's dx 09/2010, Fibromyalgia and CFS dx 04/2009, meds: Savella, trazodone, Relafen, Plaquenil, Restasis, FreshKote eye drops, Bepreve drops, Optive Refresh, Biotene OTC products, retired/SS 12/2010

anita

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 06:51:51 AM »
Now I wish they had done a CT.  I was shuttled from the GP, to ER, to surgeon all within 4 days as these lymph nodes kept getting bigger.  The GP wanted the ER to do a CT, but he said it wouldn't show anything unless it was a "dense" mass.  What an idiot!!

Anyway, I started with the GP because it seemed likely it was an infection, which is something a GP should be able to handle.  I ended up being told (by the third doc--surgeon) to contact my rheumy at Johns Hopkins because no one else could figure it out.  He was the one to end up treating me...long distance over the phone no less.

I would think the GP should be able to do infections...simple things like infections should be their territory.  .  Rheumy's are for AI diseases and direct complications of AI disease.  However, if the rheumy started the process, he should finish it...no if, and or buts about it.

Hope you get some answers and treatment soon.
50 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (PID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Nitro, Cardizem, Imdur, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Oxycontin, Zofran

Babs659

• "LIVE YOUR LIFE"
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 08:21:41 AM »
I had a CT scan of the neck and head which showed "chronic parotid sialadenitis", and was described as "the parotid glands are of increased density bilaterally and diffusely compatible with chronic sialadenitis.  There is some minimal scattered adenopathy."

I don't think it would show infection, per se, but enlargement which could be due to many factors, including infection.
52 year old female with Sjs, Hashimoto's, hypertension, osteopenia, rosacea, Raynaud's, GERD, ANA homogenous 1:1280.  Plaquenil, Synthroid, Evoxac, Aciphex, Quinipril, Vit D.

dainbramage

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 04:00:22 PM »
My rheumy nurse just called and said I need to see an ENT for my lymph nodes and gland. I thought SjS was an autoimmunity.  I don't understand this at all. They act like they never have heard of this.  I am confused but I know my ENT is good, he did my lip biopsy and he called me at home to tell me I have sjogrens. So I guess I'll set up and appointment.
My tongue and mouth is killing me, maybe I'll lose weight.
I Live For Chocolate

dainbramage

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 05:40:34 PM »
Finally, my dr. rheumy called me. I've got to go pick up antibiotics, steroids and loratab from pharmacy. Thank God, maybe I'll get some relief.
I Live For Chocolate

Meld256

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 11:21:59 PM »
I certainly hope you get some relief from the scripts.  Having a sore tongue is so painful...

Since the ENT has been involved with your diagnosis, I suppose that makes sense that you go to them again. Hope you start feeling better soon and get more info. from the ENT.

Take care,
Melinda