Author Topic: ALA & ALC Question  (Read 1089 times)

amberjolie1

ALA & ALC Question
« on: January 11, 2011, 09:14:42 PM »
Hello,

Awhile ago I bought ALA and ALC, to see if perhaps they could help, particularly with fatigue.  I saw a posting on them here, so that's how I found out about them.

However, on one of the bottles (not sure which), it said not to use if you have hypothyroidism (or maybe any thyroid condition, not sure).  So I never even started them, because I wasn't sure what would happen and my endocrinologist that looks after my thyroid didn't know, either, so he was no help.  And the pharmacists couldn't offer any explanations either.

Anyone know why you can't take one of these if you have hypothyroidism?

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
Re: ALA & ALC Question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 01:27:15 AM »
I have not researched that. It would be nice to know which one carries that warning. In Canada, you can not get ALC but you can get Pre-ALC. When I spoke to the clerk in the shop she said that the Government had all of the ALC pulled from the shelf a few years ago but allowed the pre-ALC to replace it.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

amberjolie1

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 06:59:36 AM »
Hmmm....I must've had the Pre-ALC then, I guess.  I'll try to find the bottles to see which one it was, if I still have them.

ohiolady

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 08:21:28 AM »
Amber,

I take R lipoic acid at 200 mg, along with Vitamin B1.  It is my understanding that the R lipoic acid can deplete the B1 levels.  I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis but my thyroid still functions without meds.  I've done okay so far.  Hopefully, some others will come along to answer this question for you.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 59

amberjolie1

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 01:56:58 PM »
Hee, hee.  I realized I accidentally bought CLA instead of ALC, but it's the ALA that carries the warning:  It says consult a health care practitioner prior to use if you have diabetes or if you are taking....(some meds here), thyroid-regulating medications and Levothyroxine.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 06:36:30 PM »
I have diabetes and take both of them. I credit them with reversing diabetic retinopathy from stage 2 to stage 0! They also helped reverse my diabetic neuropathy.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

amberjolie1

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 08:52:52 PM »
Maybe I'll try talking to a pharmacist again to see if they can figure out why you can't take it with levothyroxine.  Maybe it's like vitamins; you just can't take it within a couple of hours of the levothyroxine or it affects the absorption.