Author Topic: Red, shiny hot toes on left foot!!!  (Read 17302 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Red, shiny hot toes on left foot!!!
« on: January 07, 2011, 08:57:10 PM »
Dear Sjogren's Angels:

All of the toes on my left foot are bright red, very shiny and warm to the touch.  My right foot looks normal but it freezing cold to the touch.  Which is actually normal for me, with my neuropathy.

Does anyone have a clue about my left foot?

It doesn't hurt, in fact it is numb, from the neuropathy.

It isn't swollen.

I am NOT diabetic.

I don't have peripheral vascular disease, or Reynaud's.   

And the toes are warm!   I didn't know, because I can't really feel them, but my husband checked and said "they're very warm!"

So I check, and sure enough.  Bright red, shiny and warm to the touch.

Just one foot.   It started with one or two toes, and now they're all bright red.  I guess maybe for 8 or 9 months?  Some time.

Honest, I really think I want a break from weirdness.   You know?

Should I call the doctor?

I can't find a single reference to this that isn't diabetes, which I don't have, or gout, which I don't have.

This doesn't hurt at all.  Maybe tingles a bit more than the other foot, but that could just be me paying more attention?

But it cannot just be this way without a reason.  Can it?

Hoping for someone to at least HAVE THIS WEIRD THING!

Elaine

Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuro.-CAD-Osteoarthritis-Auto.Neuro-SFN-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-A Lipoic-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric-Aleve-D3-Omega3

Diane54

Re: Red, shiny hot toes on left foot!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 10:00:33 PM »
Gout?
Sjogren's diagnosed Dec 20, 2010, Hypothyroid, Diabetes 2, Autoimmune Hepatitis, Mitral Valve  Prolapse, Gerds, Antiphospholipid Syndrome,  Synthroid, Paxil, Prilosec, Evoxac, Plaquenil, Tramadol, Simvistatin, Restasis, Baby Asprin, vitamin D, Januvia, Amlodipine

Carolina

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 07:33:32 AM »
Hi Diane,

I think for it to be gout it would have to hurt, right?   And come and go?

My toes are just red, well bright pink, and warm to the touch when the other foot is very cold.

I also checked and I don't think they are really much shinier than the  toes on the right foot.

well maybe a tiny but.

Sigh.

Maybe this just a variation of normal?

I have no clue.

Thanks for the idea, tho'.

Kisses

Elaine
Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuro.-CAD-Osteoarthritis-Auto.Neuro-SFN-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-A Lipoic-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric-Aleve-D3-Omega3

lizzi

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 08:01:10 AM »

i was dx with small fibre neuropathy just before christmas as i have 3 toes on my right foot and my left big toe is bright red,swollen and painfull,my feet are freezing cold all the time ,even in summer and the red swollen toes are freezing but to touch they are burning hot,in fact they feel like they are on fire,the slightest touch or knock sends me screaming with pain,i am not diabetic ,but with these symptoms and with the neuro having a good look at my feet she came to the conclusion that it was sfn,are you under a neuro ? you really need to get it checked out

take care liz xx

Pisces24

• Hashimotos, Reynards, SJS 03/09; Lymphoma 4/12
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 09:23:33 AM »
I get a rash on my feet at times. I have not really asked the dr what it was as "thankfully" it doesn't really bother me. But I have an appt in March so I'll bring it up. He did notice it last visit but it was "going away stage" then and since it took weeks to get an appt w/dermatology, a skin biopsy was out. He meniton porasis (sp?).

When it happens (my feet or foot) is red on the bottom and it only extends so far aruond my foot.  On the bottom it is red and on the "foot" part it looks like a rash.  It does affect my toes and I have noticed that it is warm to the touch.  It seems to come on suddenly and go away after 3-4 days.
Oddly it feels sometimes like a minor "dry scrape" feeling? Kinda like a mild sunburn that you don't notice that much until you scrape the area against something.  That is the only way I can describe it.

I also have NEVER had a foot issues before so I figure it is the Sjogrens giving me another "present". Sigh ::)
You are not alone with this problem.

olmphoto2

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 09:28:29 AM »
Althought I'm not suggesting that this is the cause...many of us do have or eventually develop Raynaud's...and it is sometimes referred to as the 'red, white and blue disease'.
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

Crymeariver

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 01:40:54 AM »
it kinda sounds like what I get and the rheumy diagnosed chilblains/perniosis. 

mink

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 02:47:52 AM »
Dearest carolina,
   I also get that but for me it hits different parts of my body and usually doesn't last for more than a few days at a time ...like right now my upper part of my left wrist is bright red, warm to the touch, painful to the point that I can't move my middle finger and a little swollen. same thing with the inside of my right foot. But you're saying yours is lasting for months?
Does gout only hit the feet...cause I get this even on my shoulders! 
Hope you feel better and let us know what happens :)

JannaLee

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 09:52:04 AM »
I think you have Reynauds.  That is how mine looks.

Janna

Carolina

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 11:03:01 AM »
Well, Cry, that's what it looks like to me, chilblains.

BUT they never change or go away.   They've been like this for about 6 months or more, I can't remember really.

Mink, the thing is that mine aren't painful.   These toes are pretty much fused by arthritis, and numb from neuropathy.  But they aren't painful, no more than the foot that looks more or less normal.   And they never change.  Only just get much darker when my foot is warm (like from the shower).

Olmphoto2, doesn't Reynaud's come and go?   And wouldn't it be on both feet, at least a little bit.   These toes don't itch or burn or hurt (well they are a bit numb but I think I'd notice additional sensations).

I'm clueless.   And tired of seeing the doctor since I lived with doctors most of 2010.   I'm sort of thinking of asking my cardiologist whom I have to see in February.  But that isn't really fair, since it's totally outside her purview.

I had a doctor in the family look at it, and he threw up his hands and said, "just one of those things".   He doesn't think my toes look like the picture of chilblains that I think looks the most like my toes.

I'll include that link.

http://health.learninginfo.org/images/chilblains.jpg

They also are NOT on the bottoms of my feet.

They never change except to get darker.

Not itching or cracking or peeling.

Just red.

sigh

THANKS for your attention and care, guyz.  You are all truly Sjogren's angels.

Kisses

I'll keep you posted if anything changes or a get I diagnosis!

Elaine

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 03:04:35 AM by Carolina »

Crymeariver

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 09:51:09 PM »
My pinky toes looked like that too.  Chilblains has to do with temp changes and once you have it, it is hard to get rid of.  When your feet get cold the blood rushes out and warming them up too quickly floods the tissues and causes blood blistery things.  If that is what it is you would need to keep your feet one temp.  Last year I developed it during the winter parade and it didn't go away until spring.  After I had it, any little temp difference like just getting out of bed or the shower and touching the cooler floor would continually aggravate it (I can feel it!).  This year I wore boots, shoe, slippers 24/7 and skipped the parade and did not get it at all.  That first cold shock needs to big I guess.  I've never had shingles but from descriptions I've heard of the burning pain and itching - chilblains feels just like shingles.  If not worse LOL  In the winter I notice the palms of my hands are slightly more flushed, a little like rosacea, but which goes away in the spring too. 

With your nueropathy you probably don't even realize if you are experiencing temp changes or not.  I would bring it up with your rheumy and talk about foot care like for diabetics.  Until then keep your feet a constant temp as much as possible. Maybe the cardiologist would be interested because it is a vascular system issue and would typically prescribe vasodilators in her practice.  Couldn't hurt to ask.

Good Luck!

irish

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 01:11:54 AM »
Is it possible that those toes have some small vessel vasculitis that is causing some poor circulation. When there is poor circulation in the toes they will turn red and shiny. If you see your cardio ask him. With cardio disease there is a high incident of poor circulation to feet and legs. If he doesn't know he can tell you who to see, I would bet. Good luck. Irish