Author Topic: Sjogrens and Lymph nodes  (Read 2563 times)

dry2010

Sjogrens and Lymph nodes
« on: January 07, 2011, 01:49:10 PM »
Why does sjogrens affect our lymph nodes?

Dry 2010
Diagnosed SJS March 2010, Gerd, Plaquenil & Evoxac also Nexium for Gerd , Crestor for high cholesterol. Multi vit, vit D, flax and fish oil, vitc, fiber. Fighting to get answers for enlarged lymphnodes in neck last 9mo...

dbab

Re: Sjogrens and Lymph nodes
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
Lymph nodes contain the white cells and other fighters that are meant to kill off invaders (germs, illness, bacterias, viruses).  Since Sjogren's is an autoimmune disease, your immune system is always on (trying to attack the good cells thinking its attacking the bad) so your lymph nodes are going to be active, they will swell and your immune system will be on overdrive.

dbab

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 02:08:17 PM »
If you meant why are Sjogren's patients at higher risk for Lymphoma?  I'm not sure ... I think I tried to look that up once and couldnt' find out if it was conclusive as to if they knew there was a reason why it was higher in Sjogren's than other AI diseases

dry2010

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 02:41:20 PM »
I never get sick that is what i do not understand. My husband travels and is in alot of meetings and he get 3-4 colds a year but not me seems strange that I don't get them.

Dry 2010
Diagnosed SJS March 2010, Gerd, Plaquenil & Evoxac also Nexium for Gerd , Crestor for high cholesterol. Multi vit, vit D, flax and fish oil, vitc, fiber. Fighting to get answers for enlarged lymphnodes in neck last 9mo...

CAT1962

• JER. 33:3
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 02:47:27 PM »
According to what I have read, yes. Just as dbab posted. I get recurrent infections. My PCP laughs at me, "Wow...it's been a whole month since I've seen you!"
Primary SjS, hair loss, achy joints/muscles, dry skin/eyes/nose/mouth/EHEM, Low Vit D, low potass., high CRP, Asthma (Albuterol), CFS, Fibro, RA, thyroid nodules,PN..MED: singulair, cal-mag-zinc, Ibuprohen, NO steroids, NO Plaquenil.

cremer

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »
I have Primary Sjogrens and my Lymph Nodes under my armpits swell all the time. I also have low white blood cell count, and I do catch loads of colds and viruses.

So I'm not sure why you don't catch colds. I would have thought you would.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 04:03:46 PM by cremer »
Male 47 yrs old
PSjS (Positive SSa & SSb ANA 1:2560, Possible Fibromyalgia and CFS, Triple heart bypass Feb 2011, IBS, brain fog, joint pain, mouth and nose ulcers, paronychia, headaches, and fatigue, Very low WBC count.
Medications : Aspirin, Plaquenil, Bisoprolol, Simvastatin, Vit D, Iron.

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 05:03:14 PM »
Dry,

It seems like people with AI disease either get sick all the time or never get sick.

I'm like you.  Even though I work in a school (germy children!), things that are "going around" tend to miss me.  My doctor told me that since my immune system is hyper alert all the time (since it's working to fight off my poor thyroid, lacrimal glands, etc.), it also kills off things that would make me sick.

My lymph nodes, however, are often swollen.  I've noticed it throughout my life, and now that I know I have AI disease, it finally makes sense.

--C.
SJS, Hashimoto's, Raynaud's
Plaquenil, Evoxac, Restasis, Levoxyl, fish oil supplements, Vitamin D, NSAIDs, prednisone when flaring
Tested positive for SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

Visit me at http://sjogrensstyle.com for ideas about living well despite autoimmune disease.

Sooki

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 06:29:19 PM »
Long ago, when I was nine, my parotid glands (below my earlobes) swelled up the size of walnuts and stayed that way for about 6 months.  When I would look down, my eyes would water profusely.   I remember laughing about the tear stains on my arithmetic homework.  Never figured out what that was all about.  They still tend to swell, but not visibly.  I'm one of the ones who never gets sick.  Horrible runny flu in the house and at most I'll have an afternoon on the couch feeling tired.  I figure my overactive immune system should be good for something.
64 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy,
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid,
D3, Ca/Mg, fish oil, ALA, DHEA, biotin, B-12, always GF, DF, S(oy)F, currently Paleo Autoimmune diet

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 07:40:22 PM »
Hi  :)

Sjogren's does not always attack our lymph nodes. Of course - it is possible - but not inevitable.

Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

cremer

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 04:01:45 AM »
Can I ask the people who never catch colds etc, is your white blood cell count high.

Surely if we all have Sjogrens and our immune system is always on and trying to attack the good cells thinking its attacking the bad ones then it must depend on how many white blood cells we have, the more we have the less colds we catch and the fewer we have the more colds we catch.

Does this sound logical?
Male 47 yrs old
PSjS (Positive SSa & SSb ANA 1:2560, Possible Fibromyalgia and CFS, Triple heart bypass Feb 2011, IBS, brain fog, joint pain, mouth and nose ulcers, paronychia, headaches, and fatigue, Very low WBC count.
Medications : Aspirin, Plaquenil, Bisoprolol, Simvastatin, Vit D, Iron.

Calli66

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 08:45:29 AM »
I don't catch colds---my white cell count is always on the low side. I don't understand this stuff.

C

Katybarstool

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 09:44:58 AM »
Thankfully, I rarely catch colds anymore - and my white cell count is generally low.

Kathyx

DryEyes

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 06:06:15 PM »
Hmmm ...   right now I have a Lymph node that is swelling.  It is located right below my ear and just behind the jaw bone.  Came up  suddenly Thursday morning and noticed a small tender spot right where I described.  It grew over night.  I went to the Dr Friday morning.  I have white spots on my right tonsil.   Diagnosed with strep throat.  Antibiotics were prescribed which I started right away.   Today  the darn thing has cause swelling that is going up behind my ear and down toward my neck.  Tis quite sore and man am I tired.  I sure hope the antiboitics works soon.  My earlobe is almost not distinguishably from the cheek,  not impressed at all.

BonusMom

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 08:43:27 PM »
I can't tell you the last time I had a cold and my WBCs tend to run on the low side, especially if I don't take enough folic acid.

I am on immunosuppressants.