Author Topic: Sore/painful shoulders/hips/knees  (Read 10494 times)

Bucky

• Sjogrens Staff
Sore/painful shoulders/hips/knees
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:47:17 AM »
I'm curious to find out how many of us Sjoggie's have pain in our shoulders/hips/knees.

For myself, I find sleeping at night very difficult from tossing and turning over and over trying to find a comfortable position.  If I sleep on my side, my shoulders and/or hip hurts.  If I sleep on my stomach (which I used to love to do), my shoulders and arms hurt.  I'm not fond of sleeping on my back, but have to many nights because every other position hurts.

It seems the best sleep I get is in a recliner - although, I don't want to sleep there forever!   ::)

I've never had any x-rays or anything done on my shoulders/hips/knees . . . I think on my yearly appointment with the Rheumy I'll see what he says.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: Sore/painful shoulders/hips/knees
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 10:17:19 AM »
Hi  :)

I get pain in all three but sometimes it is worse than others. I have osteo-arthritis which I do not believe is caused by sjogren's - I just happen to have it as well. It has one pain level, which I know can get worse because one knee got so bad I needed a partial joint replacement. That pain stays at the same level though. It never goes away.  In addition to it is the SjS - but it will have good days and bad days. It's like a nurse told me I had to expect some 'wear and tear' pain at my age. I was complaining about my thumbs giving me a lot of bother - which they did for about 5 months. That pain has eased right off now - so it must have been caused by SjS not OA. Wear and tear doesn't get better - it can only get worse.

So if my knees and hips are having a bad day - I'll blame the SjS unless they don't ease off a bit after a while.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

CAT1962

• JER. 33:3
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 12:37:24 PM »
I don't sleep well, of course, and when I lie of one side my hips hurt, and sometimes they go numb in a matter of minutes. When I get up, my ankles are weak, and my hips ache. My shoulders ache, too, but lying on my tummy makes me back hurt terribly!
Primary SjS, hair loss, achy joints/muscles, dry skin/eyes/nose/mouth/EHEM, Low Vit D, low potass., high CRP, Asthma (Albuterol), CFS, Fibro, RA, thyroid nodules,PN..MED: singulair, cal-mag-zinc, Ibuprohen, NO steroids, NO Plaquenil.

Shani

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 12:55:25 PM »
I have pain in all three.

First it started with my knees, they're al swollen, red etc.(Started with tendons first but now joints)

Then my shoulders, the joint itself, the tendons, shoulderblades and the muscles near the neck.
And then my elbows would hurt a lot, mostly the tendons.

But now it has spread out to the joint that are red too and quite swollen+tender to touch around it.
My pelvis-hips have been hurting a long time but now it has really spread out to the hip joints itself.
It was very stiff my Rheumy said when I saw him on tuesday.
The pain radiates to your tigh pretty much aswell.
And it hurts to lay on your sides or sit too long.

Other than that: Ribs, hands, fingers, ankles, feet, toes, lowerback, jaws etc

dbab

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 01:48:42 PM »
Most of my pains come from areas that you didn't mention although I would say knees is one of them especially when I'm climbing stairs.  Most of my pain is in my fingers, wrists, and ankles... oh boy my ankles!

As far as sleeping.  Things have gotten much better since we went out and bought a 3 inch thick memory foam mattress topper.  Before that, it was pure horror for me at night.  I pretty much did what I could to make myself comfortable with making 5 pillows cradling my body so I wouldn't touch the mattress.  I also have to worry about positioning my neck correctly with my neuralgia so that was always fun. 

jpd54

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 02:18:20 PM »
I have pain in all three along with my neck.  One of my main concerns was my lack of sleep because it hurt so bad.  I would toss and turn all night trying to get comfortable. My hips hurt so bad at night that my rheumy sent me to rehab for treatments.  That worked for a while but came back.  She then put me on Ambien and it knocks me out.   

jpd
SJS, Fibro, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, GERD, Rosacea, TMJ

Celebrex, Gabapentin, Lasix, Potassium,Hydroxychloroquine, Lexapro, Metoclopram, Nexium, Oracea, Savella, Simvastatin, Vitamin D, Voltaren

harlin

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 06:10:51 PM »
Bucky, all three
You can add ankles to the list and wrists and hands. I have a terrible time sleeping as my right shoulder is the worse and my left hip is the worse. So I can't sleep on either side. It is either on my back or stomach. If my stomach my hands and elbows hurt. If everyone really knew what we go thru they wouldn't believe it would they.

I have been going to the chiropractor for my spine and it has really helped with that, I figure if he can keep my core from hurting so much I can deal with the joints. Well, maybe somedays. I do swear by him for my hips tho he has almost stopped the pain in them. Of course it hurts when he adjusts you but I guess you trade one pain for another.

hugs to all harlin
Female 56
RA, Sjogrens, Fibromyalgia, Reynolds, Osteoarthritis
IBS, Gerd, Restless leg syndrome
Plaquinel, Methotrexate, Horizant, Folic Acid, Savella, Nexium, Vitamin D, Flexiril, Actenel, Rastasis, Gentel,

Loon-Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 11:51:13 PM »
I have all three, I switched to a very soft bed. My Rhumie said to put a pillow between my legs at night. At first it bothered me, but now it seems to help.

~Laura~

cremer

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 03:40:28 AM »
I have pain in my right knee, lower back and right hip.

The plaquenil stops most of the knee pain but the other pain is sometimes so bad I've had to start walking with a stick.
Male 47 yrs old
PSjS (Positive SSa & SSb ANA 1:2560, Possible Fibromyalgia and CFS, Triple heart bypass Feb 2011, IBS, brain fog, joint pain, mouth and nose ulcers, paronychia, headaches, and fatigue, Very low WBC count.
Medications : Aspirin, Plaquenil, Bisoprolol, Simvastatin, Vit D, Iron.

Sandisue

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 03:59:20 AM »
Hi Bucky,

It started out in my knees and hips, since I was Dx 6 weeks or so ago and been on Plaquinel and Predisone they don't hurt as much. But my shoulders and neck is killing me. I also have numbness in fingers and hand, especially when I lay down. It's really weird. I've been using the heating pad here a lot lately. I have an appt. with Rhemy. last week in Jan. and I can't wait, to ask him about this. It's terrible.

Sandisue

MiJoy

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 08:30:48 AM »
My shoulders & neck hurt the most, but also have lower back pain especially when standing, and hip & knee pain especially at night. When my shoulders are at their worst then my arms, elbows, & wrists hurt.

A pillow between my knees when lying on my side helps the hips & legs, but then my shoulders hurt & I have to turn over on my back, which I hate sleeping on my back.

Rheumy is sending me to PT for shoulders & lower back.

Anybody get good results from PT for your joint pain?
52 yr Female SJS, Fibromyalgia, Sleep Apnea, Nutcracker Esophagus, Chronic Migraines, Burning Mouth Syndrome. Plaquenil, Evoxac, Cymbalta, Restasis, Genteal Eyedrops, Refresh night gel, fish oil, Vitamin D, DHEA, Turmeric

Bucky

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 08:39:40 AM »
harlin -

I'm just the opposite of you . . it's my left shoulder and my right hip.  It does make it difficult to find a comfortable position when both sides hurt at the same time.   :(

My hip and shoulder has been hurting for some time (my shoulder for years) - however, I think my hip has been hurting more since I started working again and have to stand all day on a hardwood floor.   ::)  I'm going to mention (again) to the owners that we really need to have some sort of anti-fatigue mat there for us to stand on (I'm sure they will think it wouldn't look good with the business decor  ::) ).  We'll let them stand there for a shift and see if they change their minds!

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Meld256

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 02:44:22 PM »
Bucky, what a good poll question!

My main joint problems lately are my lower back and my knees, with my left knee being the killer pain spot. Hurts constantly, and swells even on 1000 mgs. of Relafen a day.

Shoulders are sore, too. I guess I'm really not alone in my quest to find a good sleeping position. I wake in more pain than I went to bed with. I wake with my back pain wondering "how do I attempt to get up today, without it bringing tears to my eyes?"

My shoulders are sore and arms feel like 20-lb. weights on them most days. Anyone else have that, too? I also have wrist and ankle pain; it's just as severe as the back and knees.
At my last PCP appt. I asked him about Plaquenil, and he said he didn't know but he would research if he thinks it will help. I am going to ask again!
Blessings to all,
Melinda
57, female, Sjogren's dx 09/2010, Fibromyalgia and CFS dx 04/2009, meds: Savella, trazodone, Relafen, Plaquenil, Restasis, FreshKote eye drops, Bepreve drops, Optive Refresh, Biotene OTC products, retired/SS 12/2010

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html