Author Topic: Probiotics do they work?  (Read 1894 times)

cremer

Probiotics do they work?
« on: January 03, 2011, 05:09:45 AM »
Are probiotics such as Actimal any good or are they just a waste of money? Do any of you use them?

I suffer bad digestive problems and go from constipation to diarreah all the time. Have loads of GAS, and always leave an oil sleek in the toilet.
Sometimes the diarreah is for weeks and is of the explosive type. Also some blood on wiping and mucus.

Docs just say IBS so I thought I would try some friendly bacteria and see if it works.

Your thoughts

Mick
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:36:06 AM by cremer »
Male 47 yrs old
PSjS (Positive SSa & SSb ANA 1:2560, Possible Fibromyalgia and CFS, Triple heart bypass Feb 2011, IBS, brain fog, joint pain, mouth and nose ulcers, paronychia, headaches, and fatigue, Very low WBC count.
Medications : Aspirin, Plaquenil, Bisoprolol, Simvastatin, Vit D, Iron.

hockeyluvr

Re: Probiotics do they work?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 05:38:07 AM »
Activia definately helps me. 
I eat one vanilla in the morning and one in the afternoon.
Without it, I can go 7 days without a poop.
With it, I average 3-4.
Sjogrens, Poly Neuropathy, degenerative disk disease, Osteoperosis  - On Plaquinel

gurs

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 07:04:02 AM »
they def work...digestive enzymes too!!!!

Have you been checked for celiac disease?

gursie
50 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, severe sinus & dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Daily steroids, plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements.

babycakes

• diagnosed primary sjogrens with possible overlap
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 07:29:55 AM »
hi there

i have the same problems and i take an actimal every morning, seems to lessen the gass and make bowels more regular.  I seem to remember someone on here saying there isnt much good bacteria in the drink supplements and it is better to take the capsules but i cant find the post, i guess its personal choice.  I havent tried digestive enzymes but i know people who have and swear by them

annie x

cremer

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 08:44:56 AM »
I have been checked for Celiac and it came back negative. But I put myself on a gluten free diet and felt alot better almost straight away.

I stayed on it for a few months and the diarreah did get better and I did have less GAS but after a while it seemed to revert back to how I was.

So like all things I reverted back to normal eating.

I'm taking the orange yougurt type actimal so we will see.

Thanks all.
Male 47 yrs old
PSjS (Positive SSa & SSb ANA 1:2560, Possible Fibromyalgia and CFS, Triple heart bypass Feb 2011, IBS, brain fog, joint pain, mouth and nose ulcers, paronychia, headaches, and fatigue, Very low WBC count.
Medications : Aspirin, Plaquenil, Bisoprolol, Simvastatin, Vit D, Iron.

Daisy1234

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 09:03:01 AM »
I take Danone liquid yogurt "shots" once a day because they have more live bacteria than what I'd get in the regular yogurt cups.  This has helped me tremendously, I also have IBS and severe constipation.  I think you should try it for yourself and see if it helps you.  Just be aware that it took me about 3 weeks to notice any significant difference and I can't miss even one day's dose.

Daisy

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 09:25:14 AM »
Hi  :)

A friend with IBS said that she ate an Activia yoghurt every day and felt it was helpful. When I developed IBS myself I remembered what she'd said and started taking them too. I notice a real difference if I don't have one for a few days so I think they help - yes.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

CAT1962

• JER. 33:3
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 12:29:11 PM »
Probiotics have worked for me. I especially use them during the use of antibiotics.
Primary SjS, hair loss, achy joints/muscles, dry skin/eyes/nose/mouth/EHEM, Low Vit D, low potass., high CRP, Asthma (Albuterol), CFS, Fibro, RA, thyroid nodules,PN..MED: singulair, cal-mag-zinc, Ibuprohen, NO steroids, NO Plaquenil.

Hypermobius

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 02:40:38 PM »
You said they checked for celiac's but did they also check for Crohn's? Your symptoms seems to be similar to that condition. One thing you may consider is to track which foods trigger your symptoms. I too went on a gluten-free diet after being diagnosed for SJS...tried to eat raw veggies and fruits which just made me feel worse. So went to get checked for other things and found out I was positive for Crohn's as well (negative for Celiac's). I too tried yogurt but found that due to my Crohn's any sugary foods reek havoc on my digestive track and I feel bad.  Long story short I systematically found which foods do not induce problems and have stuck to those foods...which include gluten containing foods.

As for probiotics, I have tried them but I'm not too sure if they are doing much....I just continue to take them just in case.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:42:38 PM by Hypermobius »

DryEyes

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 03:20:58 PM »
I found Activia helps me and boy do I know it when I stray away from having it.    Might have to try the "shots" type yogurt.  Some days (like today)  I feel over stuffed with just one yogurt cup.  Very uncomfortable.  Not sure if any of you guys find this.   The other thing I need to do is stay away from sugar.  Seems to set me off.   Now if I can just get my craving to catch up the same thinking the brain has  I will be happier. 

gsmraxe

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Are probiotics such as Actimal any good or are they just a waste of money? Do any of you use them?

I suffer bad digestive problems and go from constipation to diarreah all the time. Have loads of GAS, and always leave an oil sleek in the toilet.
Sometimes the diarreah is for weeks and is of the explosive type. Also some blood on wiping and mucus.

Docs just say IBS so I thought I would try some friendly bacteria and see if it works.

Your thoughts

Mick

I used to take acidophilous which helped my stomach immensely.  For the ladies, it's supposed to help for yeast infections too.

kwolfsheimer

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 04:13:50 PM »
I use Activia and and sometime take probiotics. I have severe IBS and they really don't do much for mine. The only time that I've noticed a real difference is if I take antibiotics and then it's a must to take a good probiotic.

The only thing that has been helpful to me is Lotronex. It was a God-send, but I had severe diarrhea prevalent IBS-- however, now I seem to be cycling. I just started Etrafon for stomach spasms, vomiting, and recurrent diarrhea.  But hopefully, yours won't get that bad. 

I have found too that diet can be a trigger.  Alcohol is a no-no for me, and if I drink, I will pay the next day, as I can't get off the toilet.  Also, if I eat out, I can barely make it home, especially if there is a bunch of MSG in the food.

I have tried all kinds of diets though. You'll know though when you are having good and bad days. Maybe keeping a food journal will help identify trigger foods.

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 04:14:26 PM »
  I have used probotics before, not impressed with them!  most are sugar loaded,
                 which sets my mouth ulcers off!  Must admit tho' they do taste nice!
                       I'd go with gsmraxe on acidophilous>>                                Dolly

DryEyes

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 04:31:40 PM »

hmm  Dolly Dimples ...
I would have to agree with you on some level in regards to the sugar in Yogurt.  I really didn't give that much thought.   Maybe have to stream line the thinking there.  By sugar I was referring more to sweets  such as carmels,  sweet desserts.  We don't have them often but when we do  I usually regret it.  ( Plus this time of year with all the baked goods   :o   lots of sugar is everywhere ya go)

Blue Kat

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 05:51:38 PM »
My sister has IBS and swears by probiotics.