Author Topic: Mini-Challenge 2011 begins January 1st  (Read 10984 times)

Shani

Re: Mini-Challenge 2011 begins January 1st
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 01:04:58 PM »
Loved the article Linda.
Very interesting. :)

littleme

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 05:57:38 AM »
Sha..you should be so proud of yourself.  What an accomplishment and what a wonderful story!  It only takes one person to make a huge difference in a child.  Sometimes the ones that give us the most challenges are the ones that develop the most.  Love this!  I hope you had a nice visit.

I am up for the challenge.  My me time this week is going to start again doing yoga or walking (no running...not sure I will ever get back to that).  I had to give up my workout routine this summer and now that my meds seem to be helping, this is my new me time goal.  I miss this.

Female. No diagnosis, plaquenil, prednisone (for flares), restasis, multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin d

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 06:20:08 AM »
Day 2 of our Mini-Challenge- "Me-time".

Good morning everyone . . . happy Sunday to you.

Everyone is off to a good start on their "me-time".   :D

Sha - teachers are such a caring group of people.  Good teachers leave a lasting impression on their students.  I'm glad you enjoy teaching  . . . it sounds like your students adore you. 

Linda - thanks for the link to that other article.  Did you do your nails?

CAT1962 - I hope you got some relief from your jaw pain.   It's got to be miserable to have that much pain.

Kathyx - how rude of a little electronic box to tell us we need to lose weight!!   ;)  Once you get the hang of doing the different tests it will get easier for you.  I've tried it a couple of times on my nieces Wii - it was fun.

DryEyes - what are you going to knit? 

Shani - your butterfly decoration sounds pretty.

Yesterday I spent my 10 minutes (well, actually, longer than that  ;)) looking through some envelopes of pictures.  I love looking through pictures.  Some day I need to put them in an album.

I've got to run - I have to work today, so I better keep moving along.

Hope everyone has a good day . . . make sure and take some time for yourselves . . . we're worth it!!   ;D

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Sha

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 08:28:08 AM »
Bucky~ glad ya got your 10 minutes yesterday!  ;D yeh, my lil guy called me yesterday all disappointed cuz his mom was making him stay and play with cousins who popped in unexpectantly when he was almost ready to come over...calmed him down and told him I would make sure mom let him come.another day. She's a really neat lady and we are friends! Im sure she had him call cuz I speak his language very well and can get him to.understand a situation the first time I explain it!;)

Today I plan on watching a movie after kids are in bed!

Sha

Katybarstool

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 10:58:35 AM »
Reporting in: I've been very greedy with the 'me' time today. I watched (and sang to) Songs of Praise for around half an hour AND went on the Wii fit for a short time. I've decided to try to sort my balance out, so played the game where you head footballs, and the one where you are a panda trying to catch fish. I'm not very good at either, so my aim for next time is to actually stay on the iceberg, rather than falling into the sea. Catching fish will have to be the next stage for me ;D

Kathyx

Blue Kat

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 01:14:42 PM »
Now THIS is a challenge I can get into!   :D

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »
Well.....didn't get my nails done yesterday, but I did do some scrapbooking.

Nails got put off til today.......now they are nicely shaped and buffed (I don't do enamel because I always make a mess of it). I had an extra 15 minutes or so of meditation time today, too!
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 06:51:37 AM »
Day 3 of our Mini-Challenge- "Me-time".

Good morning everyone . . .Happy Monday to you all!   ;D  (yes, I heard the moans and groans too . . . .  ;))

School starts today again after being off for two weeks for the Christmas holiday.  It seems for me when school is in session my schedule can get crazy.  Go, go, go . . . at times, it is exhausting and I check the calendar for the next time off.   :D  When things are so busy it is hard to find any time for myself . . . but . . . I WILL find some!!  (My son is the one in school, not me, but you know how it is . . . "trying" to get a teenager up and moving in the morning, making sure he has lunch money and everything he needs for school, driving him down our long driveway to catch the bus, after school activities, etc., etc.)

Yesterday, I spent my "me-time" taking a nap!   :D  I worked yesterday and was plumb tuckered out by 8 p.m. and could hardly keep my eyes open.  So, I turned my fan on in the bedroom and laid down.  I think I was asleep before my head hit the pillow!   Ahhh, felt good . . . and I NEEDED it!

The whole purpose behind "me-time" is to take care of US . . . if we don't take care of US, then it can translate into more aches and pains and sickness for ourselves.  Like a battery that is in constant use - it too loses juice and has to be recharged.  For those who might think "me-time" is selfish and serves no purpose, I disagree . . . I think it's essential.  For most people - and usually the women - we give, give, give to everyone else except ourselves.  At some point, we will crash and run out of steam if he never stop to take care of ourselves.

Excuses are, "I just don't have the time for myself" . . . well, I bet you would be forced to have the time when you land in the hospital from exhaustion or some serious illness.  Illness doesn't check your calendar and say, "ah, Susan has a day off - I think I'll slam her with appendicitis".   As you probably know, it comes at the most inopportune time.

For those of you with small children, I KNOW it's difficult to find some alone time - been there, done that.  Usually by the end of the day you are totally exhausted.  If your spouse or a friend could give you a break at some point in the day it would do you a world of good. 

In my rush yesterday to finish up and head off to work I forgot to end my post with a quote (which is my "tradition" in challenges) - oops.  Maybe, I'll put two in today.   :D

Enjoy your day . . .

Bucky

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong.  Because someday in life you will have been all of these."    George Washington Carver
                                                      ~ ~ ~
"Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there."   Will Rogers

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Katybarstool

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 01:05:14 PM »
Mrs Bucky

You are a very wise lady. I'm not surprised you spent your time napping yestrday, it seems like you are always on the go, with work and home and looking after us. Thank you.

Today, I spent ten minutes doing the balancing exercises on the Wii fit board - and I only fell off once! I'm not joking, I hadn't realized my balance was so poor. I'm going to try to improve my balance, as well as get a bit of exercise for at least the rest of the month. Oh, and I also spent 30 minutes  watching and listening to Daniel O'Donnell while I did some ironing.  It was a rather old CD, but it was a tour through the beautiful countryside of Ireland. It was so peaceful, and I love his music, even though my family ridicule it.

Back to work tomorrow. I'm going to try to spend 10 minutes outside at lucnhtime, so long as it isn't too cold.

Happy Monday everyone.

Kathyx

DryEyes

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 02:42:28 PM »
Well Bucky

You are keeping us honest here and I love it!  When I get the knitting needles out I am going to make dishcloths.   Everyone I know loves the knit or crochet dishcloth. 
Challenges
 January 1st  - was a 20 minute soak in a hot tub full to the brim!  and some bath salts.  OOOOOO   felt so good.
             2nd - was going to be the knitting but instead I spent the afternoon with Thea and Cindy, bit of coffee, bit of shopping then an appy.  More than ten minutes but sure
                      was tired but well worth the investment.
             3rd - starting the dishcloths as soon as I am finished typing.

btw   why can't I see any pictures that are posted  anyone know?

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 07:40:21 PM »
3rd day check in- I spent my 10 minutes or more on the phone to an old friend, and had such a nice chat I called another old friend, and had another 10 or more minutes!

I also did a bit of design work on a cookbook a friend is putting together.....since I enjoyed it, does it really matter that the result was for someone else? I think the opportunity to be creative is so soul-nourishing it has to be "me time" even if we don't keep the product!
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 07:42:38 AM »
Hi  :)

I'm lucky. All my kids have 'grown and flown' so I can find 'me time' pretty easily, which certainly wasn't always the case. Recently i've been using time to scan all my old photos and rescue some of them so that I can put them all on CDs for the kids so they won't have to fight over photo albums.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

MiJoy

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 08:43:55 AM »
I've had 2 weeks off work with lots of ME time. Back to work tomorrow, so ME time will be hard to find.

But 10 minutes, I can & will do that.
Like Scottie, my children are grown, well almost - one still in college.
My problem is making good use of ME time.
Spend way too much time on the couch with the computer, TV, & dog.  :o

I'm going to try 2 things:
     - Getting outside with my dog 10 + min. when I come home in the afternoons.
     - Getting on Wii Fit, especially the Yoga

OK, that makes it official. I'm IN for the challenge.
Hold me to it ok?  ;D

Joy

DryEyes

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 09:30:20 AM »
Reporting in to Ms. Bucky

Knitting done! 
on a side note -  I entered into the knitting thinking I could whip off and dishcloth in an hour.  Big Surprise there!   took most of the day to get half of it finished.  Oh how my hands have changed in the last few years.  Rather uncomfortable to get the joints to go but once I did  they felt pretty good.  In some odd way I think the movement helps with the arthritis.  This morning however  Yikes!   But I am going to keep at it   Work it through. 

going to throw in a walk today. ( on the treadmill )  need to get back to that.   

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 10:42:22 AM »
Day 4 of our Mini-Challenge- "Me-time".

Good afternoon everyone.  I'm running behind schedule today . . . pant, pant, pant . . but, I'm here now.   ;D

Good to read what everyone is doing with their "me-time".  Doesn't it feel good?

Yesterday, I spent my "me-time" just wandering around some stores.  During the Christmas holidays I avoid the stores as much as I can.  Now that Christmas is over, I like to browse through the Clearance isles.  I found a comfortable pair of shoes for work that I have been searching for . . . and . . . they were on sale!   :D  Yay!

I prefer to go to the store by myself.  That way, I can go as fast or slow as I want! 

I certainly got a lot of walking in!!

I was also fortunate to get in a second "me-time" yesterday. Had a cyberspace chat with some dear friends.   ;)

Joy - yup, once you put it in writing, you're committed!!   ;)

Scottie - have I got a LOT of photos for you to scan for ME. 

Linda - it is nice to sit down and talk with friends we don't get to chat with very often.  Nope, it doesn't matter if you worked on something for someone else -  if you enjoyed working on the design work for the cookbook, it counts.

DryEyes - good job on the knitting! 

Keep up the good work everyone. 

"See" you tomorrow.

Bucky

"One of the things I keep learning is that the secret of being happy is doing things for other people."      Dick Gregory