Author Topic: Swollen Finger Joints  (Read 3888 times)

DryEyes

Swollen Finger Joints
« on: December 24, 2010, 10:26:18 AM »
Yesterday my finger joints in both hands were achy even when at rest.   Hurt to open jars, grab items.  This morning I wake up to swollen fingers  constant ache and it is hard to grip coffee cups (which is essential  ;) for me)  Difficult to even squeeze my hand.  Over the last two weeks have had no option to how much I have to push myself.  Constant go.   I am extremely tired.   Any body else experience this and if so  what did you do ?  any suggestions?

I know you guys like to have a bit of a back ground in the signature area but I am uncomfortable with this being posted in every reply I make.  I will, however, provide it here to help ---->  DX - Primary Sjogrens,  Hypothyroid,  Tinnitus,  Fibro(?),  positive ANA  1:640 speckled,  one other blood test that was a slight positive (don't remember the name)

Shani

Re: Swollen Finger Joints
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 11:24:38 AM »
Hi DryEyes.:)

I have Lupus aswell Sjogren.
My hands are always swollen and hurt a lot along with many other joints and joint issues.
It sounds like you are having a flare-up.
Do you have a Rheumy appointment any time soon?
What medications are you taking?
You may want to discuss changing treatment or add different/switch medications depending on which you are taking.

I'm sure Joe will come along soon and give you some great advice aswell.

Stay warm and take good care of yourself.
Merry Christmas! :-*

tomsmom

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 11:46:11 AM »
Hi,
My fingers swell as well.  Lots of aches and pains in my finger joints.  Has your rheumy talked to you about RA?  My rheumy noticed that I was starting to get deformity in my fingers and mentioned that it looked liked RA.  One more thing I guess...  :o
Take Care!
Myasthenia Gravis, Secondary Sjogren's Syndrome, Raynauds, Graves Disease, Hypertension, Hiatal Hernia.

Meds: Toprol XL, Plaquenil, Mestinon, Protonix, Fish Oil, Vitamin D
34 yr old stay at home mommy

harrigan

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 12:45:18 PM »
My RA also started with swollen 'sausage' fingers and painful joints.  On the plus side, rheumatologists seem much more keen to treat RA aggressively than they treat SS, so if it is that, hopefully you will taken seriously and have some more treatment options than at present.  Not wishing RA on you DryEyes, but if it is that, you ought to be a priority.  It's not right that there seems to be a 'pecking order' for aggressive treatment and if I could have a Christmas wish, it would be for us all to be taken seriously and not fobbed off because we 'only' have dry eyes, mouth etc.  Good luck and let us know how you get on  XX Ailsa
Female, 54
Diagnosed with Sjogrens March 09; Rheumatoid Arthritis February 2010
Meds: abatacept, Methotrexate injections , Folic Acid, Amitriptyline, Ozepramole, Tramacet, Glandosane & Viscotears.

DryEyes

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 02:52:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Muchly appreciated.   I called my gp office this morning.  My dr thinks it is arthritus, sjogrens related as the onset was very fast.  Trying a course of Tylenol Arthritus and Aleve (naproxin) for five days.  Should this not settle it down suggests Prednisone (least I think that is what he called it) tapping.  Anti inflamitory anyways.   

Shani -  No appointment set up with Rheumy until September.  However  he did say should something come up to call his office and he will see me.  He is on the mainland and I am the Island so  hard just to drop in with issues.

Shani

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 06:54:37 PM »
Steroids(Prednisone/Prednisolone) are known to be very succesful on decreasing inflammation and swelling.
It most likely could be arthritis, do they also feel warm and look a bit red/feel stiff?

I hope the current meds you've been given will help.
If not, then hopefully the steroids will give you relief.:)

If the pain does continue although, I would definitely call the Rheumy.
September is such a long time!
But I understand what you mean with it not being easy to travel there and so on.

Gentle hugs to you! :-*

irish

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 12:10:46 AM »
I don't have much of the joint pain since being on the prednisone and getting the IVIG every month. However, many years ago I would wake up with such sore hands and fingers/joints. My hands felt like baseball gloves and just pounded or throbbed.

I didn't have time to wait for a pill to kick in and I discovered early on that if I held my hands under cold running water it felt like the heat and inflammation would be cooled down. I can't explain why this helped but it never failed me. Didn't take it away, but it made it better and I could get ready for work much easier. I usually took a couple of Aleve with some food before I left for work and when I got there I was in a tolerable state of health. IRish ;D

DryEyes

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 10:25:10 AM »
My thumbs have the bony over growth and are very painful and become swollen. Left thumb is the worst the worst.  My thumb through to my wrist are very sore and tender.  The left one has the appearance of a swan neck. They originally said this was osteoarthritis and have had it treated.  Also have the carpel tunnel treat going on too. 

Irish  I have found submerging my hands into extremely hot water (just as hot as I can stand)feels so good and if only for a few minutes the pain is gone for the time being.  Relief even for a few minute certainly help me regain my drive for sure.  I will try the cold water though.  That being said I do ice my hands at times also..

CAT1962

• JER. 33:3
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 01:50:35 PM »
My finger joints are very stiff, and sore a lot of the time. Cold weather, and when I hold a glass, my purse , any object really, it takes a bit to "ungrip"! Bizarre.
Primary SjS, hair loss, achy joints/muscles, dry skin/eyes/nose/mouth/EHEM, Low Vit D, low potass., high CRP, Asthma (Albuterol), CFS, Fibro, RA, thyroid nodules,PN..MED: singulair, cal-mag-zinc, Ibuprohen, NO steroids, NO Plaquenil.

Bopeep

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 07:00:59 PM »
DryEyes 
    the symptoms you describe are exactly what sent me to the Dr initially. I thought it was arthritis or RA, and because it was starting to effect my everyday living I went to find out which one I had. After hundreds of tests and stuff the conclusion was I had NO arthritis or rheumatism, just sjogrens.

Now its been five years since I was diagnosed and suprise suprise I still have really bad pain in my hands and in my feet. My knuckles swell up and it feels like my fingers are being dislocated and I have hardly any strength left in my hands.
My left side is worse than the right side, which I find strange as well.

Iv come to the conclusion that its just one of those things I have to live with, although if anyone can give me any ideas on how to lessen the constant pain then please post it .
I hope you find some sort of solution EyeDry. take care.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 09:07:45 PM »
I have seen massage help to reduce the swelling and straighten bent fingers. Carrot juice helps with some pain. Dark cherries with arthritis pain. I have used warm wax  and mineral oil baths to help ease the pain. Range of motion exercises have helped some also. My fingers have a little bend to them that makes typing a little easier.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

sjogrens53

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 09:44:11 PM »
I have the same pain and swelling.  It seems like that is  the time when everyone wants to shake hands (out of courtesy, of course).  Others have no way of knowing....but, it can be painful.  My knees seem to be swollen all of the time, too.

lighthouse33

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 03:36:45 PM »
Last Christmas I got a product called The Xtensor.  It seems to help me.  I have carpal tunnel along with arthritis.  You can search for it on google. 
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

twilite

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 07:34:44 PM »
my joints are "killing me" today :'(

I sat in a meeting from 11 - 2:30 today and i was in so much pain/discomfort from my shoulders down to my finger tips, i just wanted to get up and run out... but my legs hurt so bad i couldn't :'(

I have a medrol pak and i am going to start it tonight - i hope i feel better tomorrow :-\

I went for a bone density test today - i have never had one, but my bones hurt so bad i figured it cant hurt.

I am going to look into filing for disability before things get too bad -I have a hard time driving 30 miles round trip to work, my shoulders feel like they are falling out of the joint when i drive.

i actually dipped my hands in paraffin last night and had instant relief, but they were hurting again this morning.  i am left handed and the left shoulder is a mess and the right hand is a big mess ???

twilite

DryEyes

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 11:20:34 AM »
It was a week ago last Friday I was to the dr about these darn hands of mine.  I have followed the regimen prescribed.  Yet my hands are still sore and puffy in the morning.  I can get them working better as the day goes on though.  The next step was to head in the direction of predizone. (sp) I really don't want to go there.  I am not sure what is meant by  "Sjogrens" related arthritis.  Not ostio.   Yes asking my Dr.  would be ultimately the best but I really dont want to go in there right now.  I don't know if I want to start yet another prescription.    I need some help / advise thinking this through.  I am becoming a tad lury of what this disease is doing to my body