Author Topic: What do C3 & C4 test tell ?  (Read 5617 times)

dry2010

What do C3 & C4 test tell ?
« on: December 20, 2010, 07:12:58 PM »
Went for a check up last week at the Rhuemy been having issues with mouthsores and swollen lymph nodes on head and neck. He ordered bloodwork but I am curious what C3 & C4 indicate he mentioned checking for Lupus is that what that test is for?

Dry2010
Diagnosed SJS March 2010, Gerd, Plaquenil & Generic Evoxac, Vit d, ACV for GERD, Welbutrin,Flonase and Lotemax.

inga

Re: What do C3 & C4 test tell ?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 07:34:03 PM »
It is not as simple as Lupus tests.  C3 and C4 may be low in a number of autoimmune diseases.
My C4 has been low....this happens with Sjogrens, especially the variant with PN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complement_system

Shani

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 07:45:10 PM »
Hi Dry.

"Complement proteins are identified by the letter 'C' and a number, the most common complement tests being C3, C4, and CH50.  The classic pathway complement function markers of your immune system are Complement C3 and C4.

Complement is a blood protein that destroys bacteria and helps control inflammation.  Your doctor is looking for evidence of a chronic, inflammatory disorder of the immune system. "

Hope this explains it a little bit, but the link Inga gave is great too.

dry2010

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 08:05:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies but I an just wondering if this could be bad.. I have had so many things come up recently wonder if he is looking for something fatal.

Dry2010
Diagnosed SJS March 2010, Gerd, Plaquenil & Generic Evoxac, Vit d, ACV for GERD, Welbutrin,Flonase and Lotemax.

irish

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 10:29:50 PM »
The C3, C4 are just what they described and lupus, although it can be a bummer and used to be quite fatal back in the "old days" is now very treatable.

He is just being thorough. Do not panic---could be lupus, but at the same time I don't know what other blood work he has ordered. Lupus is a kissing cousin of sjogrens. THe doctors have a heck of a time trying to differentiate these 2 autoimmune diseases much of the time. Irish ;D

gphx

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 08:16:42 AM »
Research I've read says there's an overlap in the genetic modifications causing SS and SLE. Some researchers believe SS and SLE are not two conditions but a spectrum. Depending upon how many and which genes are expressed determines which symptoms are present and which disease is predominant. Many people in the middle have both. I don't think this idea is universally accepted but it makes intuitive sense to me.
Dxed unspecific 'sicca syndrome' eyes and mouth. Neuro issues, muscle weakness. SS Seronegative but high inflammatory markers. Diabetes dx 2010. Glucose control improved neuromuscular issues. Enlarged thyroid under observation 2013. Yippee.

Pegasus47

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 07:25:35 PM »
See if your complement cascade is normal.  Complement helps antibodies kill cells.  Drill a hole in the cell membrane.
Why do they want to do a complement testing?    Maybe to stop the antibodies from attacking

Pegasus