Author Topic: what is the difference between Sjogrens and Sicca ?  (Read 2196 times)

Cinnamon Girl

what is the difference between Sjogrens and Sicca ?
« on: December 18, 2010, 04:34:40 PM »
I am curious what is the difference in these 2 disease ? Sjogrens and Sicca....i thought sicca was just another name for sjogrens...
thank you

Shani

Re: what is the difference between Sjogrens and Sicca ?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 04:42:19 PM »
The term "sicca" refers to the dryness of the eyes and mouth.
Sjogren does indeed get called 'Sicca syndrome' sometimes.
Well that's what I've been told by someone.

Someone please correct me if it's wrong.

Hope you are having a good day Cinnamon Girl :-*

Blue Kat

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 05:37:54 PM »
That's my understanding of it, Cinnamon Girl.  Since I don't have the dryness issues but everything else, I have Sjogren's but not Sicca.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 05:48:06 PM »
Sicca is dry eyes and dry mouth, without any confirmation of Sjogren's such as blood work or lip biopsy.

I also have Interstitial Cystitis, which is considered auto immune, but again no confirming blood work.

Sicca describes the symptoms.   Sjogren's is a diagnosis from blood work or lip biopsy.

Sjogren's is an auto immune condition that is part of a entire constellation of conditions.

50-75% of the people with Sjogren's have profound exhaustion and depression, for example.

I have only Sicca confirmed.   Tho I also have

1) anemia, which often accompanies auto immune conditions.

2) sweating, which appear suddenly

3)  dizziness upon standing

4)  cold, numb feet

and a host of other conditions which often accompany Sjogren's.

Keep reading and studying.

Keep us posted

Kisses

Elaine
Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuro.-CAD-Osteoarthritis-Auto.Neuro-SFN-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-A Lipoic-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric-Aleve-D3-Omega3

gphx

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 06:40:26 PM »
Here's how I understand it.

The term for 'dry eyes' is 'keratoconjunctivitis sicca'.

The term for 'dry mouth' is 'xerostomia'.

These terms do not necessarily imply cause. A person who has both is often said to have 'sicca syndrome', again a nonspecific dx.
Sjogren's used to be called 'sicca syndrome' when its AI cause was not known. Now it is called 'Sjogren's Syndrome' distinct from
other causes.

'Sicca syndrome' is a nonspecific and/or seronegative diagnoses. I presently have that dx myself. Though Sjogren's is a highly likely
suspect 'sicca' merely means 'dry' and other things can attack tear ducts, oil glands, and saliva glands including rosacea, sarcoidosis, and a few
other AI diseases and infections. When the cause is known, and it probably is most commonly Sjogren's, the specific diagnosis is then
applied.

This is my understanding from what I've read in medical journals and been told by physicians. I will happily stand corrected if I've gone wrong.
Dxed unspecific 'sicca syndrome' eyes and mouth. Neuro issues, muscle weakness. SS Seronegative but high inflammatory markers. Diabetes dx 2010. Glucose control improved neuromuscular issues. Enlarged thyroid under observation 2013. Yippee.

gphx

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 06:42:02 PM »
'50-75% of the people with Sjogren's have profound exhaustion and depression, for example'

I've never seen that stat before. It really caught my eye and explains alot. Thanks.

Dxed unspecific 'sicca syndrome' eyes and mouth. Neuro issues, muscle weakness. SS Seronegative but high inflammatory markers. Diabetes dx 2010. Glucose control improved neuromuscular issues. Enlarged thyroid under observation 2013. Yippee.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 11:59:51 AM »
Yes gphx, the the key is that the exhaustion and depression are PART a Sjogren's syndrome.

You are depressed because like the dryness, your system caused to be depressed by the condition.

It is a key difference. 

The depression comes directly from having Sjogren's.   

You aren't depressed about being tired and miserable (tho Lord knows you should be!)). 

The Sjogren's also has depression as a co-condition, physical in nature (probably chemical imbalances). 

You aren't exhausted by the pain and misery (tho' Lord knows you should be). 

The exhaustion is a co-condition, physical, again caused by the nature of the auto immune disease.

That is why they can hit so violently, out of the blue.   

You haven't changed anything or felt different, your life seems the same, and BAM you are depressed/exhausted beyond belief.

I'll do some research to find the sources for my numbers, as I don't remember where I got them.

I'll keep you posted!

Kisses

Elaine

Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuro.-CAD-Osteoarthritis-Auto.Neuro-SFN-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-A Lipoic-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric-Aleve-D3-Omega3

gphx

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 12:16:28 PM »
You're a blessing. =)

Blue Kat

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 02:31:31 PM »
I've had clinical depression for most of my adult life and it wasn't until I was diagnosed with Sjogren's last year that things started to make sense in that area.

gphx

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 06:16:12 PM »
Blue Kat, my situation is about the same though I've never sought help or received a diagnosis. When I hit adolesence I remember my eyes suddenly going dry and going from a straight A student to a kid who couldn't stop sleeping through school and got barely passing grades. At the time the dry eyes were blamed on hayfever and the exhaustion on Benadryl, a few decades later I know better.

Cinnamon Girl

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 06:19:32 PM »
thank you ! your all so helpful.I appreciate this forum so much

kwolfsheimer

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
Yes-- what is so funny is that in going through my past medical records, it was notated several times that I could have "possible mixed connective tissue" disorder and when my paratoid gland swelled up, the technition noted indications of "sicca symptoms."

If only I had known then what I know now and had been given copies of my records!!

I have the dryness symptoms, but NEVER associated it with the severe joint pains. I knew that my glands swelling up to the size of walnuts were not normal.  I used to tell my doctors that all of my symptoms HAD to be related and they always acted like I was crazy and pushed antibiotics on me.

Even when my doctor got into an argument with me about wearing glasses versus contacts and I tried to tell him that contacts just dried up and splintered apart in my eyes, he still didn't get it.  After he diagnosed me with Sjogren's, I reminded him about the times that I had to get contacts scraped out of my eyes after they split apart-- he said "Why didn't you tell me???""   UUUUGH!  ::)

I know some doctors use a checklist but it would have been really helpful to have some of these autoimmune questionaires early on!