Author Topic: What type of hypersensitivity-autoimmunity is Sjogren?  (Read 18161 times)

Baklavas

What type of hypersensitivity-autoimmunity is Sjogren?
« on: December 13, 2010, 05:41:28 AM »
Greetings everyone.
Is anyone aware what type of hypersensitivity is Sjogren or Hashimoto?
Since lymphocyte infiltration is a prerequisite (even without and before
circulating Igs) I conjecture they are a type IV case. However, I have found
all kind of references (type III, II and IV) - perhaps an issue of older literature  ???.
Any help is highly appreciated!
Thanks in advance  [/flash]

inga

Re: What type of hypersensitivity-autoimmunity is Sjogren?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 05:53:10 AM »
I doubt any one here will be able to answer your question.  I am wondering if you are referring to the focal score of the labial salivary gland biopsy?

Sjogren's isn't referred to as a hypersensitivity.  Diagnosis is based on having certain auto-antibodies present, (+ANA, preferably with +SSA and +SSB) and/or having lymphocytes present in the salivary glands.

Some will say neither of the above are necessary and that sicca symptoms alone diagnose the disease.

There is a lot of dispute as to what this condition is.  Research into the disease, is of course, based on very specific criteria for the disease (or it wouldn't be valid or lead to any meaningful discoveries).

Baklavas

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 07:44:42 AM »
I thank 4 the immediate answer response.

Though Sjogren is not a case of hypersensitivity, autoimmunity falls as well into this old time
(Coombs and Gell) classification.
The reason I am asking is that I am trying 2 figure out the underlying primary etiology
for the attack of the lymphocytes: do they see (true of mimiced) self antigens upon salivary glands
or are lymphocytes directed against soluble (true or mimiced) self antigens? Otherwise put, SSA/SSB escape
from the internal tissue parenchyma to circulation because of the tissue rupture or they preexist in circulation?

I apologize 4 the extended blabla - could not devise a way to spell it out in a shorter way...

Seeker

• Proud to serve
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 09:06:54 AM »
Howdy Baklavas, I believe inga is correct, your question is a bit technical.  Have you tried to find your answer on the Sjogren's foundation website? 

Seeker
Every day is an adventure, waiting to happen.

Baklavas

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 09:44:24 AM »
Thank you for the suggestion fellows.
If you have any thoughts upon the issue, u r most
welcomed to display them!

Nathan

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 12:41:32 PM »
SJS is 3, Hashimoto's is 4.
The reason why this may have been in question before (for SJS), is that our autoantigen wasn't found until recently (2008) -- this being a clevage product -- 120 kD alpha-Fodrin.

To put it simply, as well as I understand it, for some reason, this cytoskeletal protein, alpha-Fodrin, is cleaved into multiple pieces, one of them being 120 kD (kilo-daltons--a size). This causes the immune system to create auto-antibodies against this protein. These antibodies that the body creates are what cause our varying symptoms (usually by killing the target cell).

Something else of note is, in an experiment with mice in the lab, they found a significant increase in cell death in the salivary glands associated with alpha-Fodrin clevage after an ovariectomy. In knockout mice for estrogen receptor-alpha, this didn't happen. Infact, tamoxifen-induced cell death also creates our antoantigen.

Navigator

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 02:09:48 PM »
Does the type mean anything to those of us not researchers?  I have both problems mentioned.
Hashimotos thyroiditis, Primary SJS, IBS, autoimmune hearing loss, leucopenia, arthritis,asthma.
Synthroid, Plaquenil, Crestor, Evoxac,Vit D , Fish Oil, Restasis, Daily Walking, Sleep, Baby aspirin, Probiotic, avoid gluten,dairy and sugar, hearing aide, gratitude, big dog

Nathan

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 07:11:21 PM »
Does the type mean anything to those of us not researchers?  I have both problems mentioned.

Not especially. It's only worth really looking into if you're interested in the etiology in these diseases.

mink

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 11:42:18 PM »
this site is interesting and may help answer your question...http://www.hopkins-arthritis.org/arthritis-info/sjogrens/ 

Baklavas

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 03:10:58 AM »
Type III talks of circulating immunoxomplexes (CICs) formed
by Abs and Ags - correct at any time, if wrong.
Does classifying Sjogren in this type mean the existence of
complexes (such as a-fodrin, or coxsackie proteins, or La, or Ro) with Igs? In this instance, however,
no seronegativity (in terms of Abs) would ever be observed...
U believe lymphocytes "see" self-antigens fixed upon the gland or as freely
circulating molecules?
I thank 4 the "John Hopkins" notation you provided- found it most useful.

Patze

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 04:22:34 AM »
Hi Baklavas,

Let me also welcome you to the SJS World!  Please look around the board as there is a lot of information that you might be interested in.

Can you tell us a bit more about yourself so the members can get to know you a bit better?

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Baklavas

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 09:33:56 AM »
Main data:
Son-of-a-sufferer.

Additional data:
Greek.
Laboratory chemist.
Trying to put 2 and 2 together.

Ever seen a movie called "Lorentzo' s oil", fellas?!..

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 09:36:06 AM »
Seen that movie twice.  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Baklavas

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 09:37:56 AM »
There u go!..

Baklavas

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 10:05:09 AM »
The reason I address the concern is that if SS belongs to type III autoimmunity cases, Igs contribute
right from the start. However, this would mean seropositivity right from the very start, while this is not
the case - even for years after diagnosis. Kindly indicate the flow in this concept.

Instead, the autoantibodies (Igs) can be formed AFTER the release of self-antigens due to rupture of
the tissues caused by the infiltrating T cells. this would classify Sjogren as IV type if not much mistakening.

Kindly indicate any flaw in the above.