Author Topic: What's your favorite product for...  (Read 8419 times)

puccini914

What's your favorite product for...
« on: November 04, 2010, 03:21:03 PM »
Hello Everyone, I just thought I'd start a thread for our favorite products that help us get by.  I've found a few good that I'll share.  I know like me, we are all looking for something better and maybe this will give others an idea of what to try next.

My eyes aren't real bad so Blink Gel tears at night are great!  I use systane preservative free drops during the day.

My skin gets real dry, so my choice is Aveeno Stress Relief Lotion.  It lasts a long time and smells so Heavenly.

I have trouble eating well, get full too quickly, so I drink Boost High Protein shakes.  The premixed ones really taste the best (especially chocolate), but if you use the powder, then add more milk.  It's way to thick and gross using their measurements.

I'm very sun sensitive and have been told not to leave the house without at least 30 SPF sunscreen on.  I hate sunscreens, too oily and have a funky smell.
I use Biore Skin Preservation Dual Defense lotion.  I love this stuff!!  Luckily there is a place here that sells it really cheap when they have it. So I use it on my arms as well as my face.

For Feminine dryness, I really like the K-Y Liquibeads.  The only problem is that it's about $16.00 for 6 suppositories and they only last a couple of days each.  But they are so worth it.  Somethings it's not worth skimping on and I only use it when I'm really, really dry.  Other times I use Replens RePhresh.  I don't like that you can get a white gritty discharge from it.  I also eat yogurt whenever I can stomach it, it really does help.

So, these are a few of my favorite things.  I'm interested to see what everyone else has to say.

Peace be with you all.

Jennifer

P.S.  We have a food ministry here that gets donations of clearace items, overstock and discontinued items from Rite-Aide drugstores and other places.  They have a small store where they sell these things very cheaply and use the money to pay for the trucking of the free food for the food giveaway boxes to help the really poor.  I get the Rephresh for $1.oo and the Biore for $2.00 a bottle.  They don't always have it, so when they do, I buy six at a time and stock up.  It will be gone someday and I'll have to find something else, because regular retail on these things is way too much for my budget.  It's worth looking into if you Can find someplace that sells discounted cosmetic items.  I can even get diapers for half price.  It's been a lifesaver.

ohiolady

Re: What's your favorite product for...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 05:49:22 PM »
Jennifer,

I like Cetaphil moisturizing cream for my face and body.  It is very moisturizing and works the best of anything I've tried.  Also, I like Cetaphil soap for dry skin, it can even be used to wash eye lids.

I like Systane and Theratears preservative free drops.  Also, Genteal gel at night.

I use astroglide for lubrication.

I use Pronamel toothpaste and Biotene mouthwashes and oral balance gels.  Vitamin E stick for lips

I use Ricola Mountain Herb flavor drops.  They are not sickening sweet.  Of course, I use the sugar free.

I use Simply Saline for nasal wash.

Use a humidifier 365 days a year in my bedroom at night.

I wear Panoptx moisture chamber glasses to protect my eyes while outside and from the heat and ac in car.  By the way, Dryeeyezone just announced a very sporty, fashionable moisture chamber glass.  I think it is called ZeniaOasis or Oasis Zenia.

Fun thread.

Anna

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 04:49:00 AM by ohiolady »
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

SLEEPY101

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 06:50:17 PM »
I use biotene gum for dryness

Cherry carmex for my dry lips

Tiger balm for my leg pain

I drink joint juice for my joints

puccini914

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 03:42:46 AM »
Great suggestions so far... I think I want to try that Cetaphil soap or I heard another suggestion of using baby shampoo diluted with water.

Anyone have mildew problems with humidifiers?

Peace be with you.

Jennifer

ohiolady

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 04:51:04 AM »
Jennifer,

You have to be careful with mildew especially in the winter.  The cold on the outside causes condensation on the inside.  We are fortunate that for the last 4 years, we go to Florida in the winter and I have no problems.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

DragonflyC

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 07:32:04 AM »
I love my eye mask that can be heated or cooled.  When microwaved, it creates moist heat.  The packaging warns against using it as a heat mask on the eyes, but that's clearly just to avoid lawsuits from people who heat it too long and hurt themselves.  45-50 sec. in my microwave makes it warm enough for my eye treatments, but not hot enough to burn me.  It was also great to have on hand when I hurt my back a few months ago.  I picked it up at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

As for eye drops, I love Systane.  I get a box with three bottles of the Ultra High Performance (great marketing with that name, Systane) from Costco or B.J.'s for a pretty reasonable price.  

The best treatment I've tried--which is also the hardest for me--is to get a lot of sleep.  I love sleeping, but I hate going to bed early.  When I can make myself hit the sheets at a reasonable hour, though, I feel so much better the next day, especially when it comes to my eyes.

Oh, and I can't forget Orbit Mist Gum!!!!  It creates a "hydrating sensation" that makes my husband call it "Sjogren's gum."  I like the mango flavor, but it's hard to find.  The mint kinds are good, too.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 07:36:32 AM by DragonflyC »

puccini914

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 08:40:47 PM »
I love this thread, even if I did start it.  I'm making a list of all the things I want to try, maybe I'll find them on sale somewhere.  LOL   I'll tell you, it's the OTC stuff that can really empty your wallet.  LOL

Peace be with you.

Jennifer

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 10:07:34 PM »
Just wanted tp add that when I use the humidifier I clean it once a week with vinegar water. I don't measure it just guesstimate. I let it sit about 1 hour and then drain and rinse well with water. This works well for me. It is very necessary to clean and disinfect a humidifier as the mold and bacteria that grow can make one sick.

I use Salicylic acid soap. I find that it is mild and makes my skin soft. I am not all that dry and don't have any problem with getting too dry. There are times I may skip a day or two though. This soap helps to remove the old dead skin cells and to help close up those darn pores that get so large.

My most favorite sunscreen is any baby sunscreen that is non greasy. I thinnk that they arn't as smelly or as thick. I generally try for the 30 to 50 SPF. I wear it every day on my face. My derm told me to wear it all the time as even on cloudy days in the house the rays can come through the windows and damage skin. Heaven help me if I didn't use it cause as wrinkled as I am getting I bet without it I would look like a scrub board.

Just a reminder to for sure wear it when you are out and about. When you are driving the car it seems that the sun always hits the left side of your face. My hubby traveled for a living for many years and he got a skin cancer on the left side of his face. That sun shining through the car window is dangerous.

I have mentioned the product for super try skin areas in another thread. I buy the Blu Goo at Walmart. It is in the section where the foot care products are. It is made with emu oil and papaya plus a couple of other things. It is in a very small jar and cost about 2$. I find that after a bath is the best time to put it on. It goes a long way as you just take a little smear of the oil off the top. No digging down into the jar issues. It is great for the sides of your feet, heels, between toes, etc. Stops the itching and the catching on the bed sheets.

Thanks for starting this thread. Good to hear what others are using. Irish ;D

chelle

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 10:14:40 PM »
I use a giant tub of really thick sorbeline and glycerine to wash my skin in the shower. Just rub it on (No, it doesn't lather) and shower it off. Been doing it for years and my skin is great. (Oh, I do use soap for my face, underarms and 'lady parts')

Great thread. I'm picking up some 'must try' ideas!

'Chelle

GCJ

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 02:18:32 AM »
Thera tears foam scrub
Thera tears preservative free eye drops
Vanicream lotion
carmex
Magnesium helps with bowels and maybe muscle stiffness
flax/fish oil for dryness not sure I see a benefit but hoping oneday
When I lived in a cool climate humidifier warm mist
When I lived in a cold climate microfleece items

puccini914

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 08:27:02 AM »
Again, geat suggestions from everyone.

I use a vaporizer as opposed to a humidifier.  Less to clean, steam is more antibacterial then cool mist and when anyone's sick I can put either Vicks in the little cup in front of the steam jet or Euclyptus oil.  Other times I put a headache essentional oil blend or Lavender oil.

I love Lavender Oil, use it alot in the little diffusers.  It's also great for minor skin burns because it contains a natural antibiotic and is really soothing.  It's one of the few essential oils you can apply directly to your skin. I also make Lavender water by mixing it with water and alcohol.  It makes a great spray for sheets and pillows and I even spray my vaccum cleaner filters with it to freshen the house when I vaccum.  I also add it to the pot of water on our wood stove during winter.

Keep the great ideas coming, I'm taking notes and making a shopping list.

Peace be with you.

Jennifer

puccini914

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 05:11:47 PM »
Oh no, we're on the page 2.  I wantto hear from more people about the stuff they use and love!!!

Peace be with you all.

Jennifer

DSPeter

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 05:24:29 PM »
I love this thread!!!

I am 56 years old and looking for a good facial moisturizer.  Was told to look for product with "ceramides", any ideas what products contain ceramides?

What do you use on your eyelids?  If I get moisturizer on them my eyes turn red and sting!!

slang

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 05:49:08 PM »
I use CeraVe moisturizing lotion and the CeraVe facial cleanser. I love them both.  I use the Refresh Plus lubricating eye drops. I also started using the Biotene mouth wash. I also use  a Netti pot to flush out my sinuses and add moister. I use a vaporizer at night. We have a whole house humidifier but I think I need the extra moisture at night.

DSPeter

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 07:19:24 PM »
I use NielMed Sinus Rinse and vaporizer also.  I like the warm moisture in the winter.

Any suggestions for sores in nose?