Author Topic: How long from Blood Tests To Results  (Read 10153 times)

sissyjane

How long from Blood Tests To Results
« on: November 02, 2010, 05:30:15 PM »
I had blood drawn last Thursday afternoon, and I'm sitting by the phone waiting for results. How long does it take to see if you have Lupus, or RA, or Sjogrens?

Pisces24

Re: How long from Blood Tests To Results
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 05:39:22 PM »
With the Sjogrens (ANA, SS-A & SS-B) I got a phone call from the dr 2 days later.
Not sure about the other ones so maybe others can help.

I'd say it depends on the type of test, lab that tests it, whether they send it out or not, and it's priority.

Good Luck!

Patze

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 05:50:30 PM »
Hi Sissyjane,

I wish I could give you a definitive answer as I know how nuts waiting on results can make you!  The speediness really depends on the lab, and on the doctors office as well.  I've gotten results from testing for SJS/Lupus what have you the quickest at four days and the longest was almost two weeks.

It's hard and I'm sending you a gentle

( ( ( H U G ) ) )
my friend, and hope the wait is soon over!

Take care of yourself -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 07:01:45 PM »
You have waited long enough. Give the doctor a call!
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 08:06:29 PM »
As a nurse I know all the things that can waylay lab results between the patient and the lab and then back to the doc---then from the doc to you.

Add a weekend in there and it can complicate the picture more. Add in possibility of doc having a seminar out of town or some other event and the days can really just slip by.

I have learned after all these years that a couple days one way or the other are not going to make much difference. Since you had the blood work on Thursday last week, then the weekend, Mondays are pretty much a trashed day for docs as the have to play catch up and deal with all the sick people who call in, etc it then becomes Tuesday. I would wait til tomorrow and if you haven't heard by noon then call the office.

This way you will have time to call back if they don't return the call. You will have Thursday and Friday. Hopefully, you will not have to wait very long. Also, keep in mind that some of the fancy tests done to diagnose autoimmune disease are more complicated and have to be sent out and may take a couple days to do.

You never assume that if it's bad news the doc will call because sometimes the lab results can be sent to the wrong doctors office or get mislaid in the right doctors office. They deal with so much paperwork that it really is a logistical nightmare. Remember that computers were supposed to cut down on the paper trails but now we have to have it saved to disc, hard copy and several copies of hard copy. The biggest hurry up to a slow down this country has ever seen---so says my hubby. Good luck. Irish ;D

bloodless

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 09:08:15 AM »
Don't let yourself get to worked up about the lab results. I had blood tests and negative lab results for 10 years before I got a diagnosis of Lupus and Sjogrens.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 10:26:11 AM »
If you haven't heard by Wednesday, it's perfectly fine to call and ask whether the results are back, and if not, when they will be back. It's actually worse not knowing when you'll here - open-ended deadlines really suck.

It's worth doing this just in case there has been a problem on their end, and your call reminds them of what they need to do.

Hang in there - useless to say, but try. Try to distract yourself with other things til you hear.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

Hypermobius

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 04:26:18 PM »
Yeah usually my blood work was back within 3 days at most. But, lab results are only the tip of the iceberg....then starts the guessing game on what could be causing this...and what other tests can we do to verify this...blah

Only 5 months after my first blood work....and already had tilt table, additional bloodwork for crohn's, heart echo, celiac's antibody test, right heart cath with oxidation, and now it's time for the capsule pill endoscopy in two weeks yay ....  ???
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:29:32 PM by Hypermobius »