Author Topic: Is it asthma or SJS lung involvement?  (Read 1626 times)

sewandsew

Is it asthma or SJS lung involvement?
« on: October 15, 2010, 09:12:09 PM »
I've had asthma problems in the past, off and on, but not for 10 years.  Now the problem has reappeared and I am wondering if it is a lung problem due to Sjogrens.  Does anyone have a like problem?

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Is it asthma or SJS lung involvement?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 09:34:31 PM »
I was diagnosed with asthma when I was around 40 years old. Had so many problems over the years and I think most of it was sjogrens. I would feel yukky and have infection in sinuses and chest and I could feel the mucus moving when I breathed. The docs all listened and they could never hear it.

THe Sjogrens gives a person that thick mucus in the lungs that is hard to get rid of. Also there are other issues that can come from the sjogrens. Hope that you have a doc who can help. I finally went to a pulmonary doc. Good luck. Irish ;D

ttdub

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 10:09:56 PM »
How do you get rid of it?

genko_b

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 11:20:32 PM »
We have not yet figured out how to get rid of it. Like Irish, I also see a pulmonologist for the lung issues. Some doctors treat it similarly to asthma, using inhalers to open the air passages and help us get to the thick mucus in the lungs. Mucinex helps some people. Keeping well hydrated also helps.

You could use saline solution to clear your sinuses, either Ocean saline spray (that's what I use) or some here use a neti pot. Keeping the nasal passages and sinuses clear(er) helps prevent more mucus getting down into your lungs.

If you continue to have problems, you should be checked for interstitial lung disease, which can be a development when you have auto-immune conditions in general. Also, some folks here have sarcoidosis, even though it is usually considered not to co-exist with Sjogren's, and that settles in the lungs as well.

Take care,

Genko

gphx

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 12:49:32 AM »
Mucinex can help thin that mucus so it comes up by itself.
Dxed unspecific 'sicca syndrome' eyes and mouth. Neuro issues, muscle weakness. SS Seronegative but high inflammatory markers. Diabetes dx 2010. Glucose control improved neuromuscular issues. Enlarged thyroid under observation 2013. Yippee.