Author Topic: Just the Facts: Cardiac Pacing  (Read 1005 times)

inga

Just the Facts: Cardiac Pacing
« on: October 23, 2010, 01:58:40 PM »
Keep in mind a credible cardiologist will refer to an Electrophysiologist, who is a cardiologist who specializes in Arrhythmias.  This doctor will do all the baseline cardiac testing and likely order, electrocardiogram, echocardiogram, and then holter and event (loop) recorder.  If in one month of wearing your loop recorder, no arrhythmia is noted, they can use an implantable loop recorder, which is worn for up to 18 months, to find an isolated arrhythmia.  Often times, they do require a previous episode of complete syncope.

A cardiac cath may be done as well, just to see if something structural is wrong with the heart.

From here, they usually, but not always do an EPS (electrophysiolgy study) which is an invasive study of the electrical system of the heart, from here, an ablation can be done.  Ablation is not for every one, but, it is frequently done.  After the EPS, a pacemaker can be placed and the way the pacemaker functions is based on the findings of the EPS.

Here are the facts for those who are interested in medical science.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/0415/p1563.html

Epson

Re: Just the Facts: Cardiac Pacing
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 04:05:21 PM »
I saw an Electrophysiologist and had the Holter study, funny thing is, he knew more about Sjogren's and it's effects on the autonomic system then any doctor I have dealt with and I have dealt with a lot of them.

inga

Re: Just the Facts: Cardiac Pacing
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 04:20:32 PM »
LOL, I may need his/her name!!