Author Topic: woke up gasping for air, like airway was blocked, couldn't breath-any1 have this  (Read 20467 times)

romalo

I had something scary happen early this morning.... I wondered if anyone else has had this happen...
I took a salagen at bedtime (11) and I woke up at 145am gasping for air.  No matter how hard I tried to get air, it wouldn't come.  I was making a loud wheezing sound and it took 15-20 seconds after I stood up for me to start taking in air.  I had a acid taste, like I get with reflux or after you vomit.  Sorry, I know its gross.  Anyway, I honestly thought I was going to die.  I had thought maybe the saliva the salagen helped bring out maybe blocked my airway since I was asleep and maybe not swallowing?  I called the dr, but they said if this wasn?t the first time I took the medicine (which it wasn't) that more than likely was not the cause.  I just feel a bit wheezy today when I take a deep breath.  Have you heard of this before?  I don't know who to go to, to have it checked out at this point.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
I had this happen a few years ago, and my husband rushed me to the ER. They did tests, but turns out it was acid reflux that was coming up, and keeping me from getting air. I have since been on a pill for this.

Hope this helps you.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, diabetes, asthma, Polycystic ovaries, and Gerd. Meds - Pilocarpine, Synthroid, Effexor, Cpap, aspirin, Prilosec, Neurontin, Xanax, eye Drops, vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Proventil- Retired Teacher/Disabled

bloodless

Yep. It was gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD and sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a serious health problem. Your doctor should order a sleep study. It's simple and painless.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

newhorizons

Suggest putting bricks or books (4"-6" total height) under the headboard of your bed before retiring for the evening.

This will aid in digestion as well as the result of Salagen saliva created from building up in back of throat.

I take pilocarpine, generic for Salagen, and my headboard is about 2-3" elevated...WORKS!!! ;)

Find instead of drooling on pillow, the flow going down in stomach, aids the digestive tract as a whole...  
FROM TOP END TO BOTTOM END!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:33:43 PM by newhorizons »

Linda49er

Hi romalo.....Do you snore?  That is another issue and most like related to sleep apnea.    My hubby used to hold his
breath and then all of a sudden started gasping for air and ended up sitting up in bed wondering what the heck was
going on.  He has FINALLY been put on a CPAP for severe obstructive sleep apnea.  He does alot better on it but not
with a few side effects of sore nose he has helped him.  They usually like to do the sleep study test over nite and they
usually need 6 hrs of sleeping and the first time my hubby only make it like 20 to 40 mins as he is really clostraphobic.
But he was started on pillow cushion like under his nose and that worked good for a while...Shaved his moustache and now
we think he might be able to use a mask.  It is sure worth looking into  Hope he gets to feeling better.  Fair warning however,
you can't talk when the mask is on lolol.  It sounds like their lips are flapping lol.  But at least hes getting more rest and breathing
which I love phew.....

Linda

bloodless

Linda, usually insurance will pay for 2 sleep masks a year. Your hubby should try out different ones. Personally I hate the nose pillows and wear a mask ove just my nose. When you first start on CPAP it's not unusual to wear your mask to tight. He probably needs to loosen the top straps on his head gear, so he his nose doesn't get sore.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

Ohiocat

happen to me once, and scare me.  Made an immediate appointment with the doctor the next day.

One thing she suggested to me, is that if it happens again that i should focus on trying to cough.  Then breath.
That the coughing action with open up the airway to allow you to breathe.

She told me if it happened again, that I may need to get tested for sleep apnea.

The only two differences in my case, was that I did not have any kind of acid taste with the issue  and that I had been under a lot of stress at the time, so it could have also been stress related.
female 53, no thyroid - levthyroxin 125mcg; Primary Sjogrens:  Dry mouth; Dry eyes-thera tears every 2 hours, Refresh PM at night, Restasis twice daily;

eyeamdry

I can't tell you what it was because I don't know any more than the others, and we're all guessing.

I can say, though, I take Evoxac and have woke up choking on my saliva.  I must have had a throatful and it possibly impeded my breathing.  This has happened to me two or three times.  I know what it is so I'm not concerned once I happen to wake up and figure the situation out.  Lucy

Katybarstool

This may be irrelevant, but my doctor wouldn't let me start Salagen as it's contra-indicated for people with asthma. Could you have had symptoms of asthma?

Kathyx

tomsmom

The first experience I had with this was when I was pregnant.  GERD is horrible during pregnancy because of the extra weight pushing up.  Anyway, that was how I recognized it after it happened to me after pregnancy.  I've had it so bad I've woken up pounding on my chest to try to loosen what I thought was blocking my airway.  It's frightening.  But elevating your bed does help as does not eating or drinking a few hours before you lay down.  If you have dry mouth that's easier said than done with the drinking.  Try taking only little sips to moisten.  Sorry this happened to you!
Myasthenia Gravis, Secondary Sjogren's Syndrome, Raynauds, Graves Disease, Hypertension, Hiatal Hernia.

Meds: Toprol XL, Plaquenil, Mestinon, Protonix, Fish Oil, Vitamin D
34 yr old stay at home mommy

LizM

I have had this in the past and just last night I had an episode.  Scared my hubby to death.  Mine are not happening too often, but just once is enough for me.

Liz

romalo

Thank you everyone for the information!  I got in to see my rheumatologist yesterday, and he said more than likely it was a combination of my reflux and the salagen exacerbated it because it increases stomach secretions.  That is what probably backed up and what I choked on.  He said the airway closes to protect the lungs from inhalation.  If it happens again, yes, I will need a sleep study, but hopefully if I control the reflux it won't.  I have had allergy induced asthma in the past, but haven't had any episodes of late after being on allergy shots for years.  Again, thanks so much for the information.  It is so nice to know that these things are "normal"!  :)