Author Topic: plaquenil and vivid dreams..does it stop??  (Read 9317 times)

valene2009

plaquenil and vivid dreams..does it stop??
« on: October 19, 2010, 05:37:52 AM »
ok. so far besides being gassy a lot and losing hair when i wash it.. ughhh. the only other side effect of
plaquenil is vivid dreams and a lot of nightmares.. will this go away after
i am on the medicine for awhile?  i wake up so much now where i used to
sleep so good...

i would love toknow what others have experienced.
thanks!

LizPetillo

Re: plaquenil and vivid dreams..does it stop??
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 05:51:43 AM »
Those are my plaquinel side effects as well .... very gassy in the morning, clumps of hair falling out in the shower, and really strong dreams.  But mostly not nighmares.  (some .. but not most).  Been on it for 3 months now.  No change ....

bloodless

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 06:34:50 AM »
I love plaquenil. I didn't notice a change in dreams, but then again, I've always had vivid dreams.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

Calli66

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 07:01:51 AM »
Sorry, I had that side effect also. And woke up many times a night. It was worse when I was taking 400 mg a day, and a bit less troublesome at 300 mg. At 200 mg it was tolerable.

If you weigh much less than 130, then ask your doctor to calibrate dosage based on weight.

If plaquenil helps you with other symptoms, it's worth it, though. Can't have the immune system running wild and taking over! I may have to go back to taking it myself, eventually.

I wish there were more info on how high a dose really has an effect. For example, people who take it for malaria prevention only take 400 mg per week, and it does the job. So we know it goes into one's system, because the outcome in the form of bad gas and bad dreams is a reality. Questiion is: how much does it really take to damp down the immune system?

Still, it's a loss less scary, for me at least, than contemplating Methotrexate or Prednisone as treatment.

The dreams---I bet this side effect would be useful for an artist---so many ideas to work with! I found that I had to be careful about watching too many violent or scary TV shows/movies.

C

valene2009

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 08:24:19 AM »
ok.i am going to call my doc.. yes i dont weigh 140..i weigh about 116 .. maybe i better cal my doc.  like you calli i
wake up about 3-4 x a night..on  300 mg it wasn't as bad..

season

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 11:14:28 AM »
I take plaq and have restless sleep and waking up often. I am losing a lot of my hair.  I have long hair, and I may have to get it cut because my husband is now complaining because my hair is everywhere..

Calli66

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 12:02:09 PM »
Val
This site: http://www.eyeupdate.com/pages/plaquenil.html

Says the dose is 6.5 mg per kilo body weight. I converted 116 to kilos = 52.73. Multiplying by 6.5 = 343 mg. So a little more than 1.5 pills a day is a recommended dose for you.

For sure ask the doctor if you could take 300 mg a day for 5 days, and 400 for 2 days a week. My doctor had me do a similar schedule and was also OK with me taking only 200mg per day, if that was all I could tolerate.

I noticed while reading the prescribing info for Plaquenil that some dosing intructions start the patient out with the maximum dose and then taper down after the drug takes effect. I wonder why our doctors never mention that to us.

Calli

valene2009

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 12:17:22 PM »
that is interesting Calli. I am going to just take 1/2 a pill tonight and hope that i sleep better..that would mean i
would be at 300mg.. if that still doesn't work i will go back to 1 full pill in the morning.. Because without my sleep I
am a mess and am getting a lot more flare ups... I have always had a hard enough time sleeping anyway and was
finally sleeping good ..until i tried tis med.. yikes..

Prairie Gal

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 12:36:22 PM »
Calli, my rheumy has tried me at a slightly lower dose several times, but my symptoms get worse.  So I stick to 200 mg. every morning and evening.

Poor sleep is part of SjS, unfortunately.  I had been sleeping badly before I ever saw the rheumy and it was one of the first things he asked me.  My hair falls out at the normal rate.   Medications affect everybody differently, of course.

valene2009

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 01:51:03 PM »
i have had trouble sleeping my whole.. life..my mom tells me it runs in the family..lol.. my mind races.. so
it is nothing new..but these dreams are awful .. and waking up.. before when i would wake up i would get up
use the restroom and fall right back asleep..  yikes. i dont know.. my rest if really important ...

my main probs with sjogrens are the sicca component.esp the eyes.. i think i will def go back to 300 and see ..
right now i am hoping if i am on this for 6 months or so my eyes will get a little better as some of you had
said yours did... ...