Author Topic: Vitamin D Deficiency  (Read 24000 times)

meow

Re: Vitamin D Deficiency
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2010, 10:54:19 AM »
Is it normal for a Dr to do a Vitamin D test after a diagnosis of Sjogrens?  Or do I need to ask?   I was just recently diagnosed.  Dr told me that he would run more tests at my appointment in December.

Mine did, because low Vitamin D is associated with fatigue. I have to say that since I started taking 5000 mg daily, in 3 months I have noticed a definite improvement. I still get tired, especially if I haven't gotten enough sleep for several days, but I don't get that leaden-bodied , bone-crushing fatigue.
I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life, only to arrive safely at death's door.

Sjogrens, Hashimotos, CFS.  Also, fast approaching CRS Syndrome ;)

Patze

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2010, 06:03:53 PM »
Saw the internist the week before last and had some more blood work done, and as usual, my vitamin D level has tanked again, and this while taking a 50,000 mg once every other week, double ugh :-\

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Livvie2

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2010, 09:15:34 PM »
Patze,
 That 50,000 unit pill is a different type of Vitamin D than Vitamin D-3.  You might want to ask your doctor about supplementing with the D-3.  I'm drinking my Vitamin D-3 as I write.

I subscribe to the Center for  Science in the Public Interest's newsletter "Nutrition Action."
Their November 2010 issue quotes Dr. Bess Dawson-Hughes who is an expert on Vitamin D.
This is some of what she says.

"People aged 60 and older need 800 to 1000 IU a day to keep blood levels at 30 nanograms per milliliter. . .

"Sixty percent of people in the US. . . get too little Vitamin D. . . . The most important source of vitamin D is sun exposure. . . .The diet is not rich in vitamin D. There's a little in fatty fish and in eggs, but by and large, most people without sun exposure will need a supplement."

Vitamin D. . . "improves strength in the legs and lowers the risk of falling. Second, it improves bone strength, so it lowers the risk of your having a fracture should you fall."

"Vitamin D is essential for the absorption of calcium. . . .Animals that are totally vitamin-D-deficient cannot form bone and cannot remodel bone. . . ."

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2010, 04:22:28 AM »
I have been taking D3 for some time now. My latest test (last week) came back as normal with 2000-4000 units per day supplement.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Epson

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2010, 06:10:45 PM »
60% of the people in the country are deficient in vitamin D, but in some areas it is even higher due to the lack on sunshine (Northern Ohio) and the latitude that you live at.  It took me 2 years to get my vitamine D back to normal levels and I'm still tired.

tomsmom

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2010, 09:14:47 AM »
I've been on 5,000 for the last few weeks because I was found to be defficient.  It has definitely helped with my energy level.  I still deal with the fatigue, but definitely can feel an improvement.  I walked around a grocery store and a dept store last week while holding my chunky baby (LOL).  That was impossible last year.

meow

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2010, 04:50:35 PM »
I live where the sun shines 350 days a year, at an altitude of 3500 feet. All kinds of sun here! Because of that I slather myself with sunscreen most days, and have for 30 years.

I sprained both ankles one day last spring ( can't walk and chew gum at the same time), and the Xrays showed osteopenia, which terrified me.

So, this summer I did a few minutes of sunbathing around 10 am every day---just the legs, sticking out on a lawn chair, while the rest of me was in the shade of the patio. I think that, combine with the D3, has to help.

Sissy

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2010, 05:36:57 AM »
If it helps, I too have RX vitamin D 50,000 units twice a week, also take B12 injections. I has told that it would help with my pain. The vitamin D really gives me a boost. I have heard the B12 does that for some people. I know that on the days I take the vitamin D I will have a hard time falling asleep! Coincidental? I don't think so as it happens every time. I was somewhat surprised to see so many people posting they also have vitamin D deficiency and B12 also.  Sissy

Prairie Gal

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2010, 12:03:19 PM »
Meow, one of the blessings (?) of getting older is that we don't make Vit. D from sunshine nearly as well as when we're young.  That's apparently why so many people are deficient, not just SjS patients.

meow

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2010, 12:33:36 PM »
I'm sure that's true, Prairie Gal! Nothing seems to be working the way it used to, so why should I be surprised? ;-D

The leg exposure was actually a public service action. Even though I'm super-white ( my sister says we are "of the pink tribe"), I do insist upon wearing capris and even shorts in the summer. I was boosting  not only my Vit D (almost typed VD,haha), but preventing mass blindness in my neighborhood from the glare...

jordozmom

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2010, 12:52:18 PM »
I'm right there with you guys.  Originally I was losing/not absorbing potassium which they linked to distal renal tubular acidosis.  Then about five years ago they said my Vit D levels were down and now my calcium levels are down, too.  I take a monthly supplement of Vit D and I take calcium supplements and potassium supplements daily, plus I take a multi-vitamin.

In addition to the SJS and sensitivity to sunlight thanks to plaquenil, I am also red-headed, fair skinned and burn very easily, so I basically avoid the sunlight.  My friends crack up at me because I'm not a fan of "outside" anyway.  I hate to be hot or cold, I hate bugs, I hate getting dirty, I now have allergies, and I burn easily.  Not a fan of swimming, either, since I look terrible in a suit and my skin gets so dry from chlorine.

Sooo I get my Vit D from supplements.
SJS, Raynauds, Distal Renal Tubular Acidosis, RA, peripheral neuropathy, COPD, RLS, leaky heart valve (caused by SJS), Lichen Sclerosis.
Plaquenil, Salagen, Sodium Bicarb, Klor-Con, Ambien, Methotrexate, COQ-10, VitD, Multivitamin, Omega 3, B12

Rhonda

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
UPDATE:  I saw the GI doctor today regarding the Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 Deficiency.  He was concerned about it and ordered a liver ultrasound.  He explained that Vitamin D is processed in the liver and he wanted to be sure the liver is fine.  Of course, he also ordred a colonoscopy (ugh), and I reluctantly agreed.  I do have a family history of colon cancer (paternal grandmother and maternal uncle). 

Interesting - the GI doctor said anyone on Methotrexate should have a liver ultrasound to make sure all is ok.  Whether this is protocol or just his personal opinion, I am unsure; regardless, I am having one soon. 

Has anyone else had a doctor tell them any of this?

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2010, 06:25:17 PM »
When I started taking MTX, my rheumy told me he was in the process changing his monitoring all MTX patients with an accumulated dose of about one to 1.5 gram, from a liver biopsy to ultrasound.

Previously, a biopsy was commonly performed at that stage (accumulated dose total of 1 to 1.5 GM) on all of his MTX patients, and was common practice for most rheumies. The ultrasound is a much less invasive procedure, and apparently will show any early damage (structural as opposed to the functional changes that would be identified by blood tests) as well as a biopsy would.

Most rheumies also order liver function testing ranging from weekly in early treatment, to every 2 months in established treatment.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Prairie Gal

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2010, 06:26:31 PM »
Meow, I usually walk first thing in the morning and listen to a recorded book -- my alone time for the day.  When it warms up and I wear shorts, I also use some self-tanning lotion on my legs for the first couple of weeks lest, like you, I blind onlookers with my dazzling snow-white legs!

Rhonda

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2010, 07:06:37 PM »
Thanks Linda.  My rheumy does order bloodwork every 8 weeks to monitor the liver enzymes, but he has never ordered or mentioned for that matter, a liver U/S or a biopsy.  I have been 15mg of oral Methotrexate weekly since August of 2009. 

I hope the methotrexate is not the reasoning for my Vitamin deficiencies... that would be a double whammy! 

Thanks for the info.   I always find such useful information on this forum!  :-)