Author Topic: Vitamin D Deficiency  (Read 23871 times)

Catilee2

Re: Vitamin D Deficiency
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 08:48:03 PM »
Rhonda,
   My Vit D is almost up to normal. 2 years ago my GP checked it because he said studies show many people are deficient in Vit D, especially fair skinned, light haired sun-sensitive people and people with gastro-intestinal issues. I fit both categories  and live in a northern State(VT) and am over 60.  It was way below normal.
He put me on 1000 units a day indefinitely.  Last year he upped it to 2000 units for a while. I also take Citracal Plus( has Vit D and magnesium in it)  He also suggested  about 10 minutes in the sun before 10:00 AM or after 4:00 PM during non-winter months.
 Last set of blood work(in July) it was just below borderline normal.
 My gastro suggested that I up th Vit D every other day. I go for my regular GP visit in Jan, who knows what the number will be.  I hope yours returns to normal faster than  mine is doing.

Catilee 2

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 09:19:17 PM »
I just got diagnosed with low VIT D a month ago when I had my appt with my immunologist. He put me on 50,000IU  once a week for 2 months and then I have to go on 2000 !U every day.

They are discovering that low vitamin D is associated with many disease processes including increased risk of cancer and heart disease. I would imagine there are many more problems to be discovered.

One thing that interferes with absorption of vit D is using sun screen. I wear sun screen every day on my face per dermatologist directions. If I go in direct sun I put it on my arms. I think that it is one of those things that just doesn't work the way it used to. Drink milk, be in the sun and make Vitamin D. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the processed foods play a part in all of this. That or we could blame it on stress cause heavens knows we all that that!!!!

I know that we havae to be careful with our dosage of D and I am not going to worry at this point. I will talk with my doc again down the road. Good luck all of you wishful sun worshipers!!!Irish ;D

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 09:36:44 PM »
Here is a link about vitamin D and the importance especially if you have thyroid issues which I do.

http://thyroid.about.com/b/2010/09/30/vitamin-d-important-thyroid.htm?nl=1

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
bttt
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Spider

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 08:51:07 AM »
Hi

I have low Vit D,(low calcium too) my Rheumitologist said it wasn't important. My Endocriniologist said it must be treated with a one off injection for the year. My Doc has two letters one saying give me the Vit D and another saying I don't need it. So my Doc says no injection, but I can have tablets one a day.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 09:39:54 PM »
I'm assuming that you are referring to the injection that is given to promote bone health due to calcium loss. Many people just take the tablets every day and be done with it. I am not too keen on having an injection that lasts for one year. Really makes me nervous even thinking about it. It just seems too far out to me.

I am surprised that your rheumy doesn't treat low Vitamin D as it is necessary for bone health plus prevents a lot of other health issues. Seems like low D also contributes to fatigue. Hope I have that right. Irish ;D

Bernice

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 10:19:44 PM »
Let's not forget the dreaded brain fog/ memory lost as a result of low vit. D!

wiccagal

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 10:38:38 PM »
Eggs...  eggs are a great source of Vit D.  I had a Vit D deficiency and my partner got some chooks to keep in the back yard.. after 6 months of free range organic fresh eggs at lease 3 a week and some moderate sunshine  my Vit D levels are really really good!!  my Doctor was really surprised when she  asked me if I was taking supplements and I said no.  Mind you I can't eat them in the morning otherwise I get the dreaded planiquenil tummy

kellyptyler

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 06:51:32 AM »
I take prescription Vit D...100,000 a week

Spider

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 08:27:57 AM »
Hi irish,

Apparently you can have a years worth of Vit D in one injection, it must be slow release, my doc said no way. I no longer see my Rheumi due to a disagreement in treatment.

A lack of Vit D & calcium can make your depression really bad.

Take care all.

Wishing everyone a pain free day.

lighthouse33

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 01:11:59 PM »
Yes, I agree with irish.  I asuume you are referring to Reclast, the once a year osteroporosis injectable drug.  It was recommended to my mom that she take this.  I did research on the Internet for her.  Here is one of the sites that lists patient's reveiws about all the side effects:

http://patientsville.com/rx/reclast.htm

After we read what was discussed there and the fact that the drug goes directly to the bone and if you have a bad reaction or side effects there is nothing they can do for you because it is in the bone, you have to wait for the medicine to run its course, which is one year.  

Also, this week the Wall Street Journal came out with an article against Reclast.  So, mom has decided not to take it.

Forgot to mention that mom talked with a friend who hers who is a nurse that said one of her friends had a bad time with Reclast.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 01:21:16 PM by lighthouse33 »
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

Sheltiemom

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 02:03:09 PM »
The effective form of Vitamin D is as D3; the effective form of B12 is as methylcobalamin.  These are easily researched on-line and not on sites that sell them.  There's information on side effects regarding dosages, etc.

Nobody here mentioned which forms they're taking, so just throwing the above info out there. 

Rhonda

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2010, 02:23:45 PM »
Wow... lots of information!  Thanks!  I am currently taking 1000 mcg of Vitamin B12 via injection once weekly, and Vitamin D3 5000 iu daily - at the direction of my rheumy.  He was very concerned that my  levels were so low - both were way below normal - but the Vitamin D was literally non-existant - the lab used a value of >8 as a deficiency - and mine was actually "none detected".  I was astounded because I eat very healthy - lots of greens, eat cheese - not a big milk drinker, and spend some time outside daily - when sun isn't so bright due to my sun sensitivity.  So, whatever is causing this is baffling.

My rheumy is sending me to a GI doc to check things out.  He said I am at increased risk for cancer, heart disease etc and said the low vitamin d also contributes to my extensive brain fog and pain.  I will go to the GI doc on Oct 29th.  I wanted to go to a GI doc anyway to discuss the possibility of Celiac disease or other GI problems.  Now my rheumy is insisting I go. 

I haven't noticed any side effects with the Vitamin D3 or the Vit B12 injections, but I am concerned about the possibility of kidney stones.  I have a history of kidney problems as a child and throughout my life.... 

So many questions - so few answers.....

Thanks everyone for your comments, suggestions, and for sharing your knowledge.  This past couple of years has been a living nightmare - my doctors were beginning to think I was nuts, I think - but the labs are proving I have valid reasons for my complaints.  Little consoloation for me.

Chris58

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 02:58:41 PM »
Hi Everyone.  I was on Vit D supps , high doses, as my blood work showed no Vit D.  Won't go into the reasons why, but could not take it.  Cannot take the shots.   The naturopath I am using told me I didn't have to sit outside in the sun as I had been told........I could just sit in front of the window for about 10 minutes per day.  My diet has only a small amount of rice milk per week, and that has been a recent addition.  I am not eating dairy at all.  The sun exposure received from "window sitting" seems to be working great for me.  Energy level went up, etc.

Realize it won't work for everyone, but it has helped me.  Chris

meow

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 03:26:34 PM »
I have been on 5000 mg Vit D for several months now, and I do stick my scary white legs out in the sun for a few minutes a day, 3 out of 4 seasons.  I am lucky, my legs don't have the same sensitivity as the upper half. D has helped with fatigue a bit. I'm hoping the sunshine will poke my body into boosting its own production, but taking the tiny gel cap is no big deal, and it's not expensive. D is supposed to help with weight loss, too, but no such luck. My last labs showed my thyroid was wacking out again--wavering from hypo to hyper and back these last 6 months. I still don't lose weight. SIGH.

I went for a massage last week, first time in 6 years. I felt great for days. I think I might have to do that more often.
I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life, only to arrive safely at death's door.

Sjogrens, Hashimotos, CFS.  Also, fast approaching CRS Syndrome ;)