Author Topic: Chocolate  (Read 8236 times)

newhorizons

Re: Chocolate
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 03:56:30 AM »
DEB AND OTHERS, MY ONE LINER IF THIS ALL YOU HAVE TIME TO READ... I have converted to dark chocolate in small portion which is now suppose to be good for us! :)  

Now adjusted to eating 60% dark chocolate. purchase it in 3 lb bag at Sam's Wholesale in cooking section. Have learned to love them.
Have little plastic containers that I divide the chocolate into 2-3 portions and put on kitchen table with our nuts (almonds or walnuts).

Love hot teas, ginger, green, peppermint, chamiole, you name it... hot tea is my 'thing-ie'!! :o  Eat my little choco pieces 2 at a time with a nut and a good swig of hot tea after breakfast.  

This is after I have eaten, 51% Fiber One Cereal, nearest thing to cardboard one can ever consume and it be called a cereal.  Do top with fresh fruit or berries and skim milk.

My weight is continuing to slowly drop with cutting chocolate consumption and portion size; lost 25 lbs. in year. Exercise has decreased greatly though am still continuing to particpate at low level. 15bs more to go before facing the Duke doctors next May!! :-X  My promise to the 3 of them I would loose the 40 lbs. I had gained while on O2 24/7 for 2 yrs.

Now having pain from head to tips of toes in both joints and muscles...achy like flu. Ortho doc say yesterday at appt he felt if was Fibro flare... weather front moving in and to be in lows the next days in 50's and nights in 30's.  SO, Ended up with DepMedrol 40 mg steriod shot in R shoulder and R hip.  Will take 2-3 days to 'kick in' which he tells me every time he administers a shot!! :)

HAVE A GOOD DAY!!! ;D   Tomorrow, good day here to sit by the good warm fireplace and bird watch!! ;)

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 04:04:44 AM by newhorizons »

DesignerS

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 06:17:13 AM »
It sounds like chocolate is winning out ;)  I sure wish I loved dark chocolate instead of milk.
BoPeep, 5 to 10 chips? LOL  Oh my, I DO have a serious problem.
And Liz! what self control!  I envy you :-[  Keep up the good work.

Dove is just the best chocolate in my opinion:)

Designer

BonusMom

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 08:20:48 AM »
I, like New Horizons, have gone from eating a candy bar to having a taste of dark chocolate in an effort to lose weight.  I've always preferred the taste of dark chocolate vs milk chocolate, but I've craved the sugar in candy bars.  Not so much any more.  If there are a few M and M's thrown in some trail mix that's plenty of chocolate to satisfy my craving for something sweet.  Amazing what hitting the big 5-0 (as in fifty lb weight loss) does for the craving mentality!  Success never tasted so sweet!

Billydude

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 09:17:25 AM »
I love chocolate but a past allergy testing showed that I was allergic to it.    Liz?   Is there a no-no list of foods?

deeindiana

• Deb Perry Studio: photography & graphic arts
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 11:22:12 AM »
Well, shoot! Everyone else seems fine with it. I really miss the psychological pleasure of eating chocolate (better than sex, drugs, and rock & roll) . But even the good stuff just balls up in my mouth and cloys in my throat. Sigh...
Deb
Diagnosed June 2010.
Rheumy at University of Michigan Med Center. Age 52
Severely dry mouth & throat with difficulty swallowing, fibro, allodynia of the scalp.
Medications: Atenolol, Dexilant, Zoloft, Zocor, Flaxseed oil, Vit D, Nasonex, Plaquenil
I am my own worst enemy...

Terikjackson

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 11:37:55 AM »
Sorry about posting a sales website I didn't realize it.  It is on the box of Chocolate I bought.  So just look up the XOCAI name and do some research on it.  It is a very healthy chocolate.  A good alternative to something that has a bad name.

Teri

bloodless

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 12:21:27 PM »
Milk, dark with or without caramel, nugget, peppermint....I LOVE CHOCOLATE!!! I cannot live without it. I could easily eat a pound of m&ms too. I make brownies and the only reason I don't eat the entire pan full is so I can say I didn't eat the entire thing. I never get enough chocolate and the longest I have been able to go without it is about three days and then I'm fiending like a heroin addict. Been like that my whole life. I haven't noticed any changes to my condition after eating it or any changes to the urge to eat it when my condition changes. Chocomaniac for life!
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

newhorizons

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 12:28:41 PM »
Bloodless, Are you one of those that sort your M&M and eat them by color?   ???

Just wondering... When I was sitting at my desk at school before retiring, I would sort them by color and save the red ones for the young Resource Teacher. Her break was at same time of day mine was!!!!    ::)

Joy

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2010, 03:03:40 PM »
Ok - I've been watching this thread the last few days. . . while drooling (ha . . if I had any) for some chocolate.  Somebody - I won't name names so as not to leave anybody off - MADE me polish off what was left of my Hershey chocolate bar from my b-day in July because of this topic!!   ::)

Prior to going through the menopause, I would crave chocolate just before my period was due.  Now - I don't "crave" it, but will eat some if there is any around.

I found that with anything I eat since Sjogren's, that I have to take smaller mouth fulls.  Chew, drink something and swallow.  Couldn't get anything down without some sort of liquid to help it down.

Sorry Deb that you are having trouble with chocolate.  Maybe try a smaller piece along with something to drink.

NewJoy - you sort your M & M's by color?  Who has time?  Just pop those babies in your mouth!!  Variety is the spice of life!   ;D

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

valene2009

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 04:25:40 PM »
i love chocolate and dont seem to get flare ups from it... in fact i ate nothing but
fruits, veggies,lean turkey, chicken and nuts for almost 6 months.. i still had flares
and it didnt help my eyes one bit.  i seemed to feel better as a whole -like more energy
when working out , etc.. cleaner. but it didnt help my eyes or mouth and i still had my flares-
usually i think i get major flares when i am under a lot of stress...

LeoLady

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 12:14:48 AM »
OK - don't tell anybody, Joy.  I'm a closet M&M color sorter.  Probably an offshoot of my closet OCD.  I eat the brown ones first as they are my least favorite, then green, orange, blue and finally red.  No, I'm not crazy, just... particular, or is that peculiar?

Hugs,

LeoLady

Meld256

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 01:16:27 AM »
I'm jumping in after being gone for a few days;

1) yes, chocolate MUST be a food group :)

2) LeoLady, you area closet M & M sorter? LOL Me, too!

3) I certainly hope there's not a no-no food list, because I think with regard to chocolate I will definately disregard it.

4) Suppose even worse my "vices" are a square of good old Hershey's and a cup of coffee; also on no-no list, I guess.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 06:26:29 AM »
I have a question for you M & M sorters.  Why?  All of the colors taste the same . . it's not like jellybeans where each color is a different flavor.   So, why sort them?  Just close your eyes, grab a handful, pop them in your mouth . . . enjoy!!   ;D

I sure hope you sorters don't throw out any of the colors you don't like!!   ;)

Just curious . . . do you sorters also only eat one food at a time on your plate?  Example - eat all the potatoes, then all the corn, then the meat, etc., instead of putting a little bit of all of it on your fork at once?  I have a couple nieces (from the same family) that do this . . I can never understand this either.   ???

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

BonusMom

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2010, 08:40:37 AM »
After reading this thread yesterday, I broke down and enjoyed a bag of peanut M and M's. And no, I didn't sort them by color.  I just dumped them down the pie hole and savored the flavor.

Unfortunately, I was soon reminded why it was so easy to give up the chocolate that I swear I was eating since birth....the dreaded heartburn took over.  It's just not worth it-even with Nexium.  I little square of dark chocolate doesn't seem to turn my tummy on fire, but anything larger than that is out of the question. Drats!

LeoLady

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2010, 03:55:34 AM »
Bucky:  I can't speak for any other "sorter" but in my case, I really do think it's related to my mild OCD.  To answer your question re: food, I would never scoop up all the foods on my plate in one forkful - but, neither do I eat all of any one thing at a time. 

I also never put 4 ice cubes in my drinks - I don't like the number 4, I do like uneven numbers.  I also have to have the TP on the roller coming off the bottom, not the top.  I always put my left sock and right shoe on first.  I have to sleep on the left side of the bed, I count while any water pitcher is being filled up (14 for the tea-maker and 12 for the humidifier), and my house should always be neat with everything in its place.  That one has been really difficult since the grandkids have moved in and the Sjogren's/Fibro hit.  I'm learning to live with a little clutter, but it still bothers me.

My sister is just like me.  Our theory is that it's from being raised by an alcoholic mom who thought her children should be, and for the most part were, perfect; i.e neat and clean, prim and proper, nothing but A's were acceptable (thank God we both have 140 IQ's), and "children should be seen and not heard."  That kind of upbringing does leave it's mark, but we have both learned to make "friends" with the OCD.  It just is what it is.  It's not all bad, we both have a wicked, sarcastic sense of humor and write really good poetry about our feelings. (confidence isn't a problem either.)  Ahem.

So, that's why I sort M&M's.  Ain't life a hoot?!?

Hugs,

LeoLady