Author Topic: Chocolate  (Read 8235 times)

deeindiana

• Deb Perry Studio: photography & graphic arts
Chocolate
« on: October 12, 2010, 02:34:12 PM »
Just wondering how all of you feel about chocolate?

I used to CRAVE chocolates. It wasn't unusual for me to eat an entire pound of M&Ms in one sitting. Seriously! I was a complete and utter glutton about chocolate.

But for some reason, since my first "real" Sjogren's flare in March, I have completely lost my taste for chocolate. Just the thought of eating a candy bar sort of turns my stomach.

And even if I did still want it, I don't think I could eat it. My son gave me a box of my favorite gourmet truffles last week and the first piece seemed to stick in my mouth and was too hard to swallow. I gave the rest away.

Cookie and cakes (with or without chocolate) are almost impossible to eat anyway. So the only way I eat chocolate now is occasionally in ice cream: mint chocolate chip, cookies and cream, etc.

I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Do YOU still like chocolate? Can you swallow it down easily?
Deb
Diagnosed June 2010.
Rheumy at University of Michigan Med Center. Age 52
Severely dry mouth & throat with difficulty swallowing, fibro, allodynia of the scalp.
Medications: Atenolol, Dexilant, Zoloft, Zocor, Flaxseed oil, Vit D, Nasonex, Plaquenil
I am my own worst enemy...

Hypermobius

Re: Chocolate
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:49:58 PM »
I too had major cravings for chocolate, but in my case I really have a huge hunch that it may be the systemic candidasis that I am almost certain I have (not diagnosed yet). I took this online candida questionnaire and got close to 200 when a score of 140 is considered to be an almost certainty that you have symptoms relating to it.

So, I've gone off of all sugar for about a week now.....and I have to tell you it's so tough passing the candy section, pastry section, or even the ice cream section at the super market these days hehe.

Terikjackson

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 03:22:46 PM »
Deb,

The only chocolate I eat now is called Xocai with Acai & Blueberry.  You can only buy it on the internet though.  My doctor insisted I start eating it because the ORAC score it so high on it and it is chocked full of antioxidants.  You can do a websearch for XOCAI to find the website. I get the "Power Squares"  Like I say it is 125.00 for 140 pieces and they recommend 3 a day but I don't always do that sometimes i only eat one or two a day so it usually last me for months. 

As far as taste goes though I have lots of days were nothing tastes right or smells right.  I too have trouble swallowing even my medications, which I have to get down someway.  Lots of sips of water!  My throat gets raw and it seems I have a constant cough these days.  I think it is all Sjogren's related.  I will talk to my doc next month when I see him.

HUGS
Teri
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 01:16:05 PM by Linda196 »

Prairie Gal

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 03:30:37 PM »
I'm not a Chocoholic, but I usually eat an ounce of dark chocolate every day -- they keep saying it's good for your arteries/heart. Trader Joe's sells it in big bars and I break off a row to enjoy every morning and every evening.   :D

Ohiocat

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 03:41:54 PM »
Still love chocolate, still eat chocolate.

Don't know what I would do without it - Isn't it one of the major food groups? ;D
female 50+, no thyroid - levthyroxin 125mcg; Primary Sjogrens:  Dry mouth; Dry eyes-thera tears, Restasis twice daily;

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 04:25:52 PM »
Hi  :)

I love chocolate but I try very hard never to buy it for myself. If I get some as a present - well that's a different matter. Give it to me and I'll eat it and enjoy !!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

sewandsew

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 05:06:05 PM »
Chocolate?  Love it.  BUT, brush your teeth after it.

DesignerS

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
Glad to know I am not alone on this. I eat so much chocolate it is truly unbelievable.  However, when the mouth flares up and I have pain and no taste, it feels like a wad of rubber.

Can't be very good for us, for anyone to eat a lot of it :D  I don't know if the body craves it or the mouth! lol  If anyone has suggestions on how to break this daily habit, would Love to hear :-[

Designer

LizM

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 05:50:05 PM »
I adore chocolate, especially dark chocolate.  I eat some several times a week. 

Liz

Patze

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 05:54:03 PM »
Like Designer, I eat chocolate like theres no tomorrow, or a day after ether! :D  And when the flare hits, it tastes like cardboard and the supply in the free world goes up again until I feel better!  Shucks, I need to buy stock in the Nestle/Mars companies! ;D

And I so agree Ohiocat, it's that hidden food group that they forgot to teach us in elementry school!  :)

Take care of yourselves -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

deeindiana

• Deb Perry Studio: photography & graphic arts
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 06:37:48 PM »
So far, it sounds like I'm the only one who lost her love of chocolate when SS hit. Darn...
Deb
Diagnosed June 2010.
Rheumy at University of Michigan Med Center. Age 52
Severely dry mouth & throat with difficulty swallowing, fibro, allodynia of the scalp.
Medications: Atenolol, Dexilant, Zoloft, Zocor, Flaxseed oil, Vit D, Nasonex, Plaquenil
I am my own worst enemy...

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 07:05:40 PM »
I still love it, Dee
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

Bopeep

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 11:46:57 PM »
Like Designer, I eat chocolate like theres no tomorrow, or a day after ether! :D  And when the flare hits, it tastes like cardboard and the supply in the free world goes up again until I feel better! 

DITTO also when a flare hits it tastes horrid, not having eaten cardboard, lol.

When I get the urge its no stopping me  ;D ;D

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 03:27:31 AM »
I will have about 5-10 chips per day if I do not have enough fat from other sources. I prefer dark chocolate to milk chocolate.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

LizPetillo

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 03:53:27 AM »
Chocolate is on the no-no list for Sjogrens according to the Sjogrens Foundation information. 
It causes flairs.  We have halloween candy waiting for the trick or treaters.
Yep .. chocolate.  I don't dare touch it.