Author Topic: How do you take Plaquenil?  (Read 2396 times)

warmwaters

• Never, never, neverĀ  quit - Winston Churchill
How do you take Plaquenil?
« on: October 11, 2010, 02:57:33 PM »
In the past, I took 400 mg of Plaquenil after breakfast, and usually had stomach issues/ diarrhea about an hour later. I've been off Plaquenil for a few weeks, and discovered that it was helping with joint and muscle pain. But, my stomach woes cleared up quite a bit!

I'll be going back on Plaquenil.  How do you take Plaquenil, and does it help with the stomach upset part of things?

Thanks
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, flomax, various inhalers
Bonus vitamins:  D,B1, B6, B12, Calcium

Bopeep

Re: How do you take Plaquenil?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 03:05:59 PM »
Hi warmwaters
I am off Planquenil now but when I was taking it I was on 400 as well. I also used to take it after breakfast. I had no effects that I know of with them, although I used to take the whole 400 in the AM It would of been beeter according to my Dr to take 200 Am and 200 PM maybe you should try that.
Good luck

ErinG

• erbegu's journal
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 03:23:52 PM »
I take 200mg in the morning with breakfast and the other 200mg in the evening with a snack.  My rheumy said if I had trouble remembering to take it twice a day then it would be ok to take all 400mg at once.  I had some tummy issues when I first started on it but they are not that bad now.

Erin
Female, Age 32 - full-time accountant
Diagnoses: Primary Sjogren's, Raynaud's, Distal RTA, Stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease, Interstitial Nephritis
Meds:  Plaquenil, Cellcept, Urocit-K, hydrochlorothiazide, potassium chloride, Restasis

Prairie Gal

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 03:43:11 PM »
I take 200 mg in the morning after I eat and 200 mg in the evening after eating.  When I first started Plaquenil (Nov. 2001), the pharmacist recommended taking it after a meal, saying it can bother you if your stomach is empty. I've been fine doing it this way.
72 y/o F; SjS; Raynaud's; Lichen Sclerosus; Prilosec; Flexeril; Clobetasol; Lisinopril. ToCo-Q 10; MegaEFA; Black Currant seed oil; 5-HTP; SAM-e; Slo-Mg; Vit D3; Calcium; Aleve; 81 mg aspirin; multi-vitamin/mineral; Vit. B1,3, 6 & 12.

lxsoren

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 04:10:14 PM »
I take 200 mg of plaquenil in the AM, usually with breakfast, and 200 mg at dinner.  Never had a problem with this drug.

Epson

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 04:17:29 PM »
Caution, plaquenil is to only be taken orally!  I take mine with a quarter glass of milk in the morning and at night.
To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!  Homer................Simpson

Butterfly

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 06:21:36 PM »
I take 300mg of Plaquenil. I take mine with lunch which is my biggest meal. When I took it in the morning I found I was nauseated. Taking it with a bigger meal did the trick for me.
Graves, Hashimotos, Vetiligo, Alopecia, Sjogren's Syndrome, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease, Osteopenia
Plaquenil, Salagen, Vitamin D, Magnesium, Multi Vitamin, Bone Up, Flaxx, Synthroid, Flexeril, Reclast

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 06:27:40 PM »
I take 400mg of Plaquenil after lunch...makes me forget it less often.

Epson, I only ever take it by mouth, is there something that you're not telling us?????

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 06:32:36 PM »
Hi  :)

I was told to wean my self onto Plaquenil slowly with only half a tablet every other day to begin with and to always take it with food. It took me about a month to get onto a dose of 200mg a day. 200 didn't seem to make much difference so I was told to 'up it' to 400mg a day and it took me another month to taper up to that.

I take it with breakfast - 400mg per day - and have had no problems. I've been on it for about 6 years now.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

YYC_ Mommy

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 07:25:31 PM »
When I began taking Plaquenil this past February I tried taking it with breakfast and dinner 200mg at each. I had terrible stomach issues. Diarrhea, cramps, bad gas.

I tried taking it with yogurt as well and still had the terrible stomach issues.

I then tried taking right before I go to bed, and I have had no problems wtih it upsetting my stomach.

If you do experience stomach troubles, play around with the time of day you take it and with what you take it with. It seems like we are all so different but thanks to someone on here that suggested I try taking it at night as they had found it worked for them, I was able to tolerate it.

Best of luck!

Rayven

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 08:59:54 PM »
I take mine all at once right before bed. No stomach issues, thankfully.

Cactus

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 05:20:04 AM »
Yes, I take it at last thing at night and feel loads better the next day. Before, I would take it in the morning after breakfast.   I changed over as I would wake up so tired and have stomach cramps/gas issues during the afternoon it felt exhausting. Worth trying, after all we pay for these medicines!

hockeyluvr

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 05:48:41 AM »
I cut them up.   400 mg cut up into 100mg doses.
I eat 4 small meals (if you can call them meals) and take 100 mg (1/2 a tablet) each time.
Works out great.  (so far)
Sjogrens, Poly Neuropathy, degenerative disk disease, Osteoperosis  - On Plaquinel

warmwaters

• Never, never, neverĀ  quit - Winston Churchill
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 09:31:42 AM »
Great ideas - thanks. I will experiment and see what works best.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, flomax, various inhalers
Bonus vitamins:  D,B1, B6, B12, Calcium

Spider

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 10:19:03 AM »
Hi

I take 200mg with my evening meal as thats my biggest meal of the day and then I sleep through the tummy problems to wake up fine in the morning.