Author Topic: Whats for the evening meal a your house????  (Read 30047 times)

Bopeep

Whats for the evening meal a your house????
« on: October 10, 2010, 08:34:55 PM »
Hi everyone.
There's one thing I hate each day and thats trying to think up what to have for our main meal.

I thought it might be a little bit of fun to chat about it.
Tonight Im cooking corned silverside with potatos in their skin, carrots, fresh from the father-in-laws garden, cabbage, also fresh from his garden.
Have a great day everyone.  8)

genko_b

Re: Whats for the evening meal a your house????
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 11:11:08 PM »
OK, I'll bite - what is corned silverside?

We had fresh vegetables from the farmers market - onions and romano beans - sauteed in olive oil with herbs and tossed over pasta with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Genko

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 04:54:10 AM »
What ever I find to microwave.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 05:10:09 AM »
This is our Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada, and  lovely one it is, the trees are dressed formally in golds, oranges and reds, the sun is shining, there's a bit of a breeze and the temperature is a moderate 14 oC

Although Turkey is traditional, there's just the two of us, and my husband will be going away tomorrow for the rest of the week, so we decided to hold the turkey until he would be home to help with the leftovers. We had BBQ ribs with baked beans last night, and plan BBQ striploin with sweet potato, onions and green beans this evening. DH is a BBQ whiz, and is at the grill every evening that it doesn't rain or snow, until the snow is too deep!

Bopeep, I haven't heard "silverside" since my Grandmother's day, she meant beef brisket...is that what you had? I do love corned beef, and with those veg it sounds like our Jigg's dinner, a maritime provinces tradition...can you tell a lot of us claim a UK heritage?
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Sissy

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 05:30:58 AM »
Last night for supper was chicken cassadea's. I don't know how to spell it, but it's my son's favorite. It's a quick meal and is satisfying. Add a salad and bowl of fruit and wallah! A quick and easy meal. Tonight will probably be spaghetti with meat sauce, antipasto salad and garlic bread. Another quick meal. Sissy

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 08:30:52 AM »
Hi  :)

I am so lucky. Hubby has taken over the kitchen. I only cook two days a week now when he works late. The kids 9grown and left home) said "How come he's cooking now?" His reply - I spent 30 years doing it and he reckons it's his turn.

He's quite experimental. We often just have homemade soup and bread but he makes the bread and he puts all sorts of things in the soup and it's tasty and nutritious. Last night we had stir fried sweet and sour prawns with onions and red peppers and stuffed pasta parcels.  I'm not sure what we are having tonight yet.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

newhorizons

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 11:44:05 AM »
Have not had a good steak in a while!

We raise our own grass-fed black Angus.

Going to lay out a couple sirloin...and then head off to bed for nap.  

Scottie, my hubby is like yours... feels it's his turn to do some of the cooking.

75% of our evening meal is deciding what we want....by mid day!!! ;)

New Joy
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:46:07 AM by newhorizons »

Bopeep

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 12:35:04 PM »
Hehe yummmm it all sounds awsome. Maybe we will be able to get ideas from each other.

Linda thats right it is brisket. Thanks for that cause I wouldnt of thought of that name, I would of probably answered genko by saying corned beef, not sure if that would of been understood any better  ;D

Linda it sounds like a wonderland where you are at the moment. You wil certinally be looking forward to that turkey when hubby gets back.

Scottie, we have an agreement in this house if my hubby goes to the freezer and gets the meat out I will cook the meal, should he forget then it becomes his problem to feed us both. Like lots of you guys its just me andsthe hubby now.
I have to admit hes a real brick, he never hesitates to just get in there if Im having an off day.

So whats for tonight.
Hubbys not home tonight so I think Ill do a " Joe S. " and chuck something in the microwave, either that or get in the car and eat take aways

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 02:04:35 PM »
I cringe when my hubby offers to "cook" for us.  It translates into a BIG mess in the kitchen with every pot and pan in the house being used.  He fails to realize that clean-up of said mess comes along with the territory!!   ::) He likes to "spice" everything up, and our son and I DON'T like all the spices he does.   

It doesn't matter what I fix for dinner . . hubby thinks he has to add hot sauce to it.   ::)  I'm surprised it doesn't add it to his cereal!!   :D

So . . . I'm better off if I do the cooking.  We get stuck in a rut . . . the boys don't like vegetables or fruits, so I'm very limited on what I can fix.  Heaven forbid if a piece of lettuce should cross our sons lips!!   :o

Tonight . . . hmmmm . . . what WILL dinner be??  It will probably end up being one of those heat 'em up salisbury steak frozen food trays, with green beans, mashed potatoes, rolls and tea.  A salad for those who want one.

My hubby is a GOTTA HAVE MEAT kind of guy.   ::)  Not me - I don't mind it some times, but I don't have to have  it every meal.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »
Leftovers here...chicken/dumplings and fried apple pies.   Comfort foods!
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

SLEEPY101

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 09:17:06 PM »
I woke up from my afternoon nap and woke up to a wonderful aroma. My husband make green chicken enchilada casserole. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm yummmy. A little spicy but noting that a heart burn pill didn't cure. Have to admit I am a little jealous I have made the same dish but his comes out better.:)

newhorizons

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 07:11:10 PM »
Country Supper for Country Folks, Good eating...brown beans,  rape greens* out of our fall veggie garden along with fresh green onions, tomato 'pudding' from T we canned this summer, and homegrown sweet potatoes plus frozen, summer grown MacIntosh stewed apples (so good and warm) on a piece of homemade cornbread.

All this food on the table for two old folks!  ;)  Wish some of you could have joined us...table seats 6! :) Sit close, make it 8!

Ate small portion of everything but sweet potato and thought I'd save it for lunch tomorrow.  ::)

*Rape greens are a type of leafy greens that are fed to pigs because of their abundance of vitamins.
It's not as 'frilly' as mustard and much easier not to eat LITTLE GREEN WORMS!!!!  :o

EPSON, Know you'd love worms for seasoning!! :-X  One line for you, Epson!! Should I have put it a beginning of post...right?

Joy in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mts.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 11:51:30 AM by newhorizons »

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 09:24:36 AM »
Tonight I'm making macaroni cheese with bacon pieces and onion. Hubby's on a late - so I'm cooking. Only hard bit is chopping the onion. That will hurt.  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

slang

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 10:01:08 AM »
We are going to have meatloaf, peas from the garden and baked apples. Nothing fancy. I hate trying to figure out what to eat every night too!

Bopeep

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 12:19:30 PM »
Yumm scottie I LOVE maccaroni cheese and seems like I may make it the same way.

Hi Joy Id have come then you could of bought a crowd to our place Our table seat 6 to 8 also All that fresh stuff yyyuuummmmm.

Now what to have tonight hhmmmmm hubby tells me its fresh lamb chops and all the fresh vegies that go with it. This is our own home grown meat. Not to be confused with the little pet lambies we have this year.