Author Topic: Sinus problems  (Read 1339 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Sinus problems
« on: October 10, 2010, 08:48:48 AM »
Dearest Sjogren's Angels:

It turns out I have a deviated septum (who knew?) and my chronic-front-of-the-face headache (which I"ve had for 1.5 years now) could be related to my sinuses.

Now I am also having noticeable sinus blockage.

Is it POSSIBLE to develop sinus problems late in life?   I mean up until now I've had maybe three sinus infections and didn't think of my sinuses from one decade to the next.

Has anyone else developed sinus problems later on?   Will fixing my deviated septum help?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Kisses

Elaine
Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuro.-CAD-Osteoarthritis-Auto.Neuro-SFN-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-A Lipoic-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric-Aleve-D3-Omega3

Seeker

• Where's the Coffee?
Re: Sinus problems
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 09:05:55 AM »
G'day Carolina, a deviated septum, has been know to cause many sinus troubles.  Correcting the problem can give you much relief. 

Sinus troubles can suddenly appear at any time and any place.  There are many, many triggers, such as molds, house hold chemicals and pollens.  A person can become sensitized to any of those.

I hope you will get better soon

Seeker

Every day is an adventure, waiting to happen.

Pisces24

• Hashimotos, Reynards, SJS 03/09; Lymphoma 4/12
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 09:26:22 AM »
My immunologist recommends the "nettie pot" to me and it has really cut down on my sinus problems. I have the one with the bottle that has a hole in the top. Basically you fill the bottle with distilled water and sea salt (NOT regular water and salt!) and you squirt it in your nose.

Due to the nasal dryness, your nose doesn't filter like it should. This rinse helps flush out the "germs/impurities" in there.
It has worked great for me as I used to have 5-7 sinus infections per year - the bad ones too. But now I get maybe at most 2 a year and they are not bad at all.   I also have a deviated septum and have small nasal passages.

Carolina

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 04:13:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Pisces I've been using a saline nasal spray for years and years.  Because of the dryness.

And I have probably have had fewer than 5 sinus infections in my entire LIFE.

I don't even get colds.

Except I did get one this fall and I'm left with blocked ears and sinuses, but no infection (so far).

The thing is that the right side of my face always hurts and that's where the septum deviates toward.

I guess I'll  wait until next year, when I"m through with this blasted donut hole in my drug coverage.

Then I'll have the otolaryngologist check my sinuses with a CT scan (I've had so many, what's one more at 68)

He'll decide whether or not sinus surgery is in order and if it will help or not.

Thanks guyz for your attention.

I just find it weird to continue getting stuff, weird stuff.  Somehow I thought, well who KNOWS what I thought!

Was I even thinking rationally?   I doubt it.

I just thought when you got to a certain amount of problems you didn't get any MORE!   Silly me.

Thanks

Kisses

Elaine
Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuro.-CAD-Osteoarthritis-Auto.Neuro-SFN-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-A Lipoic-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric-Aleve-D3-Omega3

Catilee2

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 09:54:53 PM »
hi Carolina,
     Yes, chronic sinus problems can develop later in life. A Dr. explained to me that how many infections it takes to set it off differs from person to person.  The worst part is that too many Drs give antibiotics for sinus infections when a large percentage are caused by viruses and various molds, not bacteria!
 the nasal wash has also reduced the number and severity of infections for me as well.   the Dr. also told me the surgery for the deviated septum( I have one also) might or might not help. I am still thinking about it.

Catilee 2

season

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 10:41:25 PM »
I too have a deviated septum. I have 2 ENT doctors tell me that with the sjogrens, surgery would not help with the infections that I have. I was told that I could probably breath better but not garenteed. I gasp for air sometimes.

I have horrendous pain in my nose and face and I live with constant infections. the saline wash and spray help with that.

I was also diagnosed with trigemenal nueralgia (chronic face pain) and when it is bad it is terrible.

I never ever had sinus problems until sjogrens came flying at me like a speeding bullit and- and........I had a lot of dental work done.

Carolina

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 06:14:52 PM »
OMG

Trigeminal neuralgia is.....................a plague, a curse, pain beyond pain.

I have friends with it, and it is life destroying when it hits.

I will NOT think any MORE about trigeminal neuralgia.

NOPE.

Kisses

Elaine