Author Topic: The top ten worst suggestions commonly given to someone with a chronic illness  (Read 30837 times)

bloodless

From "You don't look sick"

Sometimes you just gotta have a sense of humor!

The top ten worst suggestions commonly given to someone with a chronic illness:
1)Have you tried holistic options? (many. I?ll bring it back up with my doctor on my next visit, thanks.)
2) Could it be your stress? (My opinion is, it is my illness. I?ll bring it up with my doctor though, thanks.)
3) Could it have to do with the altitude? (I?ll bring it up with my doctor?thanks.)
4) I read in {insert any generic magazine here} about a new medication. Have you heard about it? (I was on it when it came out 17 years ago. but I?ll bring it up with my doctor. thank you.)
5) Have you thought about being in a trial study? (I?ll ask my doctor. thanks?)
6) WOW. If I were you, I don?t know what I would do. I might just kill myself. (Thanks?)
7) Have they found what is causing the problem? (no. my doctor is an idiot. I?ll remind him, thanks!)  Have you tried hypnosis? (I?m still sick, but when the phone rings I bark like a dog.)
9) Have you googled your illness? (?.no! thanks!)
10 Have you ever thought you were getting sick because you haven?t wrapped your house in aluminum foil because, you know, the aliens have been bugging our houses for the past 30 years and in some cases, making people really sick. I read on?..gee I lost the web site. but it?s true! I heard it from Sally?s cousin?s sister-in- law. And then every time you use deodorant you would think you would be warding off these bugging rays, but it still makes it worse, so you are not being pro-active to your health by wearing that deodorant. I can?t believe you! If you wanted to get better you would stop wearing deodorant..(voice gets fainter and fainter the further you just walk away.) THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
Article written by Amy-Beth Maran , ? 2007 butyoudontlooksick.com
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

babycakes

absolutely hysterical i love it!!!!!

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Perfect.
Perfect idiotic suggestions and comments.
Perfect answers.

Kisses

Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

bloodless

OOPS! According to the rules I wasn't supposed to post it, but only a link to.  I imagine the post will be removed shortly. My apologies.

inga

How about this, "Every one has to die sometime".

ohiolady

Inga,

I don't know if you are joking but someone did say that to me.  So, that is my worst, seconded by "You look good, you don't look sick.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Rayven

I still fight the 'you don't look sick' battle with my husband. UGH!

Love the list!

ynevar

OH MY GOSH FUNNY AS HECK!  Thanks I am glad I read it before it was removed! LOL

-Y

deeindiana

• Deb Perry Studio: photography & graphic arts
Thanks! #7 made me LOL.  *woof!*
Deb
Diagnosed June 2010.
Rheumy at University of Michigan Med Center. Age 52
Severely dry mouth & throat with difficulty swallowing, fibro, allodynia of the scalp.
Medications: Atenolol, Dexilant, Zoloft, Zocor, Flaxseed oil, Vit D, Nasonex, Plaquenil
I am my own worst enemy...

bloodless

Anna, I know, I've had some of those on the list said too me. I hear "You're not hurting that much." or a variation of it, quite a few times. I guess I just enjoy moving slowly, walking weird and drawing funny looks from strangers. Everyone's gotta have a hobby.

gphx

"You don't look sick"

"Thanks! You don't look stupid either so we're even"
Dxed unspecific 'sicca syndrome' eyes and mouth. Neuro issues, muscle weakness. SS Seronegative but high inflammatory markers. Diabetes dx 2010. Glucose control improved neuromuscular issues. Enlarged thyroid under observation 2013. Yippee.

SLEEPY101

Love it!!!

Daisy1234

Bloodless, those are really great things NOT to say to someone with Chronic illness.  I'd like to keep adding to your list if I may with additional comments from the not so popular peanut gallery:

1. There are a lot of people worse off than you
2. You'd feel alot better if you'd just get off all of those pills
3. We all have our crosses to bear
4. You could choose not to be sick if you really wanted to

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
I love it , I love it, gphx all though they are all great, I really love the stupid thingy. ;D ha ha.
You all don't know how much and timely this thread is for me today. Me and my husband both barely made it through today, because of things like this and the stress at different offices today!

I felt like I was just about to check myself into a looney bin today, but I am not sick. :o with how I felt. literally!!!  No offence either when I say looney bin. Just trying to cheer myself up.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

inga

Ohiolady, I am not joking....some one did say that to me....my sister.

Which is precisely why I don't discuss my illness or expect any one to understand.