Author Topic: Having a shower is a huge problem  (Read 2692 times)

jaygee

Having a shower is a huge problem
« on: August 18, 2009, 01:18:29 PM »
I replied this week on someone's thread about itchy skin, because on Friday I itched so bad I burst into tears, following a shower.

I took hints from you guys and bought some extra mild/oily shower gel to try.  Over the weekend I took baths with the new oily shower cream, and this was completely fine.  No problem. 

As many people find, if the water is a little too warm or my skin is dry, I sometimes itch a bit after getting out of the shower.  This has gone on for so long now, that I always pat dry and use a good body lotion afterwards.  Just no real problem, just a little bit itchy.

But Friday, and again today, after having a shower, I itched so bad it was quite ridiculous.  This morning was much worse.  I haven't changed any products, so I don't believe it's that.  The bath was fine, but it is as if the sensation of the shower sets off some reaction.  It is mainly my legs and a little on my arms - not everywhere, which is somehow weird.  Today the problem lasted a whole hour  :'(

I was crying in pain and shock, as I had a million ants biting me, or electric shock sensations, but somehow this is underneath my skin.  Once again, I resisted the temptation to itch as I know I would surely have broken the skin and bled badly.  Again I resorted to slapping myself hard, in an attempt to stop the pain - this is a completely irrational and unacceptable reaction to a shower.  What is going on with me?  Feel like I'm going mad.  It just wouldn't stop, and again I burst into tears - this is so unlike me, I tend to be a tough kind of girl, but it was just so bizarre, frightening and painful  :'(

I am seeing the doctor on Thursday morning and my husband is coming with me.  I am no softy - heck sometimes one of the horses might accidentally catch me, and I'm no cry baby - but I have never experienced anything like this.  I am so miserable.  I don't feel normal at all.  Itching is one thing, but my whole body was jerking, like some kind of fit, in reaction to the sensations I had.

Can anyone suggest what on earth this might be?   xx

beverly jane

Re: Having a shower is a huge problem
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 01:28:28 PM »
sorry I cant  help you. Sounds confusing. Just want to let you know, Ill be thinking and hoping the best for you. Please let us know what dr says

Bernice

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 01:33:47 PM »
Just a wild guess, but maybe this is some sort of neurological issue in addition to dry skin????? Could it be that the pulsation of water coming from shower sets off your nerves in some way???  Crazier things can happen.

Just a thought!
Please let usknow what it turns out to be.

Bernice

anita

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 07:43:37 PM »
Jaygee,

It looks like this itching thing isn't common...but I know exactly (and I mean, EXACTLY) what you're talking about.  It is not all the time, but when having a flare of other symptoms, I will have the same severe itching immediately after a shower (daily).  Enough to completely drive me nuts for a short time.  I have no idea what causes it, but sort of happy to hear that someone else has had the same problem...thought I was losing a few marble upstairs.  If your doctor sheds any light on this, please pass it along.

By they way, I do have severe neurological issues from the SJS.  Someone mentioned something about this.  Don't know if you have neuro symptoms, but it may be related.

Best, Anita
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 08:12:31 PM »
Jaygee, It sure sounds like something neurological that is kicked up when you shower. Might be from the water hitting your skin that sets up the itchiness.

Also, there is a condition that occurs when some people shower that causes severe itching and occasional hives. My hubby had this for years before he found out what it was. It sort of came and went. We never figured out if the temperature of the water had anything to do with it. After a shower he would have to sit around half dressed as he itched so bad and couldn't take the pressure of clothes on his body.

Maybe some gabapentin or Lyrica would help this issue. Good luck. Irish

Also, do you have a shower head that you can adjust the mist? I would think that a fine mist of water would be more irritating than a more coarse water mist.

Bernice

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 08:31:45 PM »
I sometimes break out in small red bumps that itch for a while, but soon go away. I always assumed it was the water being too hard. When I lived in NJ we really had problems with hard water we all used to itch a lot. Now it's just me, but nothing like you describe.

You really need to bring this to your doctor's attention.

Bernice

harrigan

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 01:23:10 AM »
Let us know what the dr says JG - I too have this respone to showers maybe a couple of times a week and I have to just sit on my towel and dry naturally.  Sometimes I read to try to take my mind off it but the bedroon mirror can be a little shocking!!  :-[

I have a similar experience with my fan, which I loved blowing on me all night till last year.  Now, 2 minutes in front of it and I am demented with  - like little stabs!  Itch does not describe the sensation enough.  I've never mentioned it to a dr yet.  Hope you get some answers JG - I really feel for you XX Ailsa
Female, 54
Diagnosed with Sjogrens March 09; Rheumatoid Arthritis February 2010
Meds: abatacept, Methotrexate injections , Folic Acid, Amitriptyline, Ozepramole, Tramacet, Glandosane & Viscotears.

Babs659

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 04:04:06 AM »
Don't let the doctor brush you off (they tend to do that!).  Something is wrong for you to react that way, and don't give up until you've been checked out by a neurologist.  If they throw their hands up, go somewhere else.  You should not have to suffer like this!

syl

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 06:48:07 AM »
Hi,
  I am sorry about all of the itching. Having an itch that you can not scratch no matter what you try is unbearable.
 I just moved to an area where the water is so soft that we didn't even need to put in the water softener. I have had them before and they also filter some things out of the water along with softening. I can remember when we put one in a house that we already lived in and it wasn't very difficult. I have heard that they even have ones now that you don't have to use salt withbut I don't know what they are like. The ones we have bought aren't too bad.  Some hotels have them. Do you recall ever staying in a hotel and not having the itching after your shower? When we didn't have a softener, I noticed that my skin didn't tingle or burn when I got out of the shower. My skin doesn't itch after a shower, just whenever it feels like it.
 I don't know if you want to be medicated but I take atarax at night and it really makes a big difference. They made me very drowsy at first and my son even has to sleep for 12 hours after taking just a half of a pill so you really need to take them when you have time to sleep enough so that you are not groggy the next day. I used to be able to skip them once in a while for a few days and I would still not itch. I just started them back up when the itching started. Now I need to take them almost every night so I think that it is easy to build up a tolerance but I have been taking them for at least 5 years now.
  I hope that this might give you some ideas to try and I wish you luck in getting the proper treatment!
        Sylvia 

jaygee

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 10:24:46 AM »
Hi - thanks for your input.

I took a bath this morning, as I believed that would be ok.  I was calm and was expecting a nil reaction.  Unfortunately, I reacted badly again - not as bad as the shower, but this was with a bath which was ok at weekend.  Again, the reaction lasted over an hour this time - no hives or bumps, but again when I tried not to itch, my body started to jerk - it is horrendous!    I lay on the bed trying to think calm thoughts, whilst my legs and arms were twitching away  :'(  My husband is coming with me to the doctor's in the morning, as he has seen first hand the unbelievable reaction and, like me, will be furious if the doctor suggests it is another symptom of menopause  ::)

We have lived in this house nearly 6 years, so there is no real change.  I also worry it may be neurological, as I have all sorts of shooting stabbing pains elsewhere, from time to time, and the shower seems to be a trigger (and now even a bath  :'()  However, as I am sero negative for SJS and they are just treating symptoms, I am also worried they will think I am just crazy  :'(

Do you think they will notice at work if I don't bathe for a while  ;D ;D ;D   (joking - I like to be clean, but this is getting to be beyond a joke!)    xx

eyeamdry

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 03:16:38 PM »
Jaygee- I can think the shower might hurt your skin because of neurological response.  Sometimes I have a patch of skin that will hurt for no reason.  It will be like needles jabbing me....or feel like bees are stinging me.  I've had this for several years and it's getting worse and more wide-spread.  Lyrica helps with this somewhat and I've not had anything else that did help.

Perhaps you'll have to do with a sponge bath as we used to call them.  I hope you find a solution for this.  Lucy

noeladevile

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 07:07:07 PM »
Just wondering if you found out anything at the doctor?  I'm having a similiar problem, it's strange bc it comes and goes...but when it comes, it's with a vengeance!