Author Topic: Frustrated--Hashimotos???  (Read 2672 times)

ynevar

Frustrated--Hashimotos???
« on: September 29, 2010, 01:17:59 PM »
I finally took a look at what Hashimotos symptoms, and I have every thing on there BUT elevated cholesterol. 

I know my TSH levels were okay.

I will ask my doc about it when I am in Seattle. 

Are there other ways they can check or diagnose it?

Weird how so many have Sjogrens and Hashimotos together... Well not weird both are auto-immune... anyhow...

-Y

sunshine

Re: Frustrated--Hashimotos???
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 02:49:12 PM »
Besides the actual blood test for  TSH, Free T3, Free T4 and TPO anibodies, you can check your temperture before getting out of bed in the morning for a couple of days and if you have a low reading 95/96 you could be hypothyroid. With me I can tell by my hair and my nails if I need to increase my meds. Everything gets dry and brittle.  Similar to SS, we also get joint pain and muscle aches with Hashimoto's.  I haven't actually been dx yet for SS, but I go next month so we'll see.

SLEEPY101

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 02:57:36 PM »
An ultrasound and Endocrinoligst can diagnosis. My levels are normal,have had only 2 abnormal tests. But per US my Thyroid is almost completley damaged. My Dr said that it is almost medically impossible to have such a damaged Thyroid that doesn't effect my levels. He continues to monitor the damage and the size of my nodules.

ohiolady

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 03:31:17 PM »
I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis but still have normal levels.  A biopsy of nodules along with antibody test revealed Hashimotos.  The endocrinologist tells me I have a 40% chance of failure.  They monitor my levels once or twice a year for now.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 08:54:10 PM »
You are right! The Hashimotos pretty much goes with the sjogrens. May not be there in the beginning but pretty likely to come along the way.

My immunologists FNP told me that she pretty much assumes that anyone who has hypothyroid will eventually get the Hashimotos. She doesn't always do testing for it as if there is treatment for the other autoimmune it should help the Hashimotos. Trouble is, once the damage is done on the thyroid the treatment is too late.

There are so many symptoms with the hashimotos that one gets totally confused due to the fact that all of these ailments sort of cross over. Irish ;D

SLEEPY101

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 08:58:05 PM »
@Irish
  I have a few questions. Is Hashimoto's considered an Autoimmune disease? If then does that mean that I have primary SJS or 2ndary SJS? I've always wondered about that

LeoLady

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 01:05:21 AM »
Sleepy:

There's a really good explanation on Ask.com : Thyroid.  It explains the difference between Hashimoto's (an autoimmune disease) and hypothyroidism (a condition).  I'm considered to have primary Sjogren's because I don't have any of the regular accompanying diseases like Lupus, Raynaud's or RA. (not yet, at least)  But, I had hypothyroidism since I was a teenager and no real Sjogren's symptoms until I was in my 40's.  ???  Sort of like the chicken and the egg --- go figure.

Hugs,

LeoLady

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 12:19:05 PM »
It is really hard to know what is what with the Hashimotos and I am not an expert by any means. I was first diagnosed with Primary Sjogrens and I assume that is because I did not have a diagnosis of any of autoimmune disease at that time but had hypothyroid since 1989.

About one year later I was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis which my immunologist feels I have had since about age 20 and that it has gotten worse over the years. I think I had the Hashimotos long before I was diagnosed with the hypothyroidism. It really is a very fine squiggly line and I think that a diagnosis of primary is rare and probably doesn't last very long.

It all depends on how smart the doc is and what he has tested you for. My immunologists office feels that anyone who has hypothyroidism either has Hashimotos from the start and it is pretty standard that everyone eventually gets is down the road. Yes it is an autoimmune disease and it does cause a lot of symptoms as it screws up the thyroid function a lot. Hashimotos slowly destroys the thyroid and as far as I was concerned it was very painful. My neck ached so much and it hurt to talk for many years. I would have to take Motrin and put heat on my neck every day/night in order to get to sleep. No one knew what it was. duhh!!! Told me it was Reflux. I had red swollen vocal cords and they kept saying that it was the Reflux and I now know that it was past of the autoimmune disease. Good luck to all. Irish ;D

DragonflyC

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 12:51:17 PM »
I second the vote for you getting tested for antithyroid antibodies.  If your thyroid is being attacked, you may need treatment even if your TSH is "in range."

Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease, but it's not a connective tissue disease so it doesn't affect whether your SJS is considered primary or secondary. 

I was diagnosed with Hashi's first and SJS second, but my SJS was thought to be primary until I showed some lupus symptoms.  Now, I guess I have lupus with secondary SJS, but my SJS is much worse than my lupus so that doesn't mean much in my case.  I have moderate SJS and very mild lupus--if I even really have lupus at all; I see the diseases as on a spectrum and think of them as variations of one illness anyway, which is how my rheum approaches it. 

Whether SJS is primary or secondary, the treatment is the same.  I'm not even sure why they bother with the distinction, esp. since our diagnoses are so fluid. 

I hope that you are able to get the treatment you need soon!

sewandsew

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 02:16:35 PM »
Ynevar:

I have Hashimoto w/o a cholestrol problem as well.

ynevar

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 03:07:29 PM »
I will ask to be tested on my next appointment, if it wasn't already done.  My Rheumy was extremely thorough with the labs after my initial visit (36 vials of blood then and 8 vials or so, the next week). 

I will also ask to have an ultrasound of my thyroid. 

I know whatever this is, is all connected in some way.  I hope my rheumy thinks like yours, DragonflyC. 

I need answers, treatment--help.... *sigh*

-Y