Author Topic: Numb and tingling tongue,lips and mouth  (Read 8826 times)

SLEEPY101

Numb and tingling tongue,lips and mouth
« on: September 27, 2010, 02:08:11 PM »
Today I have a numb lip,tongue and gums. It feels like I just came from the dentist and go a numbing shot. Have anyone had this? It is a really uncomfortable feeling.

navydad

Re: Numb and tingling tongue,lips and mouth
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 02:16:43 PM »
I get that,,, I might not even be thinking about it and then notice it when I go to eat something and  it feels like i;m tring to eat something with a face full of novocane,, I have no idea what its from,, more of the same of the unknown

hockeyluvr

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 04:25:47 PM »
Actually those were my FIRST big symptoms.
I had that last summer.
I thought I had MS and that the doctor missed it.

Tingling tongue and face.
Lasted 3 months.
It went away for a year.
Came back this week for a few days.

I'm sure it'll come back again ...
Sjogrens, Poly Neuropathy, degenerative disk disease, Osteoperosis  - On Plaquinel

inga

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 04:37:46 PM »
That can be related to low potassium and calcium or other electrolyte imbalances.  Time for a bmp (blood test).

deeindiana

• Deb Perry Studio: photography & graphic arts
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 10:50:33 AM »
I have that big time too. Numbness in the tip of your tongue is also a sign of Burning Mouth Syndrome. I have all the symptoms and am convinced I have it. I'm hoping that once the plaquenil kicks in that it will help.
Deb
Diagnosed June 2010.
Rheumy at University of Michigan Med Center. Age 52
Severely dry mouth & throat with difficulty swallowing, fibro, allodynia of the scalp.
Medications: Atenolol, Dexilant, Zoloft, Zocor, Flaxseed oil, Vit D, Nasonex, Plaquenil
I am my own worst enemy...

inga

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 11:34:48 AM »
Burning Mouth Syndrome is likely the first step of neuropathy.  If you have not yet had a skin biopsy for nerve fiber density, it likely should be on your list of tests to consider.  This is done at academic centers.

marilyn143

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 11:59:57 AM »
Right now and it comes and goes !

navydad

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 02:33:21 PM »
Right now and it comes and goes !
thats how all my neuropathy,, coming and going,, now just comes and never goes,, I agree with inga,, put a nerve fiber density test on your list of things to do,, I had it,, its no big deal,, and can firm up a lot of symptoms that get wrote off to being nuts

jordozmom

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 02:38:26 PM »
You know, I get this in different places from time to time but mostly I get it in my face.  One time I almost went to the ER because I thought I was having a stroke or something.

It is that same novocaine feeling everyone is describing.  Sometimes my tongue will feel numb and thick and heavy in my mouth and down the back of my throat and it makes me nervous to eat.  Sometimes it will feel like the whole side of my face is numb.

Right now I am having it in my hands.  Sometimes this happens right before I have an RA flair, too.  It feels totally neurological - CNS.
SJS, Raynauds, Distal Renal Tubular Acidosis, RA symptoms, peripheral neuropathy symptoms
Plaquenil, Salagen, Sodium Bicarb, Klor-Con, Ambien, Methotrexate, COQ-10, VitD, Multivitamin, Omega 3, B12