Author Topic: No hope in sight...  (Read 4075 times)

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: No hope in sight...
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 11:52:15 PM »
jan, Amen to what you said. I am a RN also and I have very good insurance and have had over the years. I have been literally abused by the best of them in my state. Was treated so badly many, many times and even blackballed by one clinic who saw to it that the doctor at the other clinic told me "you will be hard pressed to find a doctor in the state of MN who will treat you". My hubby and I were just devastated at how we were treated. I cried as we drove home and hubby said to me "you just may have to die". That is when I got mad. I thought there was no way they were going to dump on me like that.

I pulled together my records and managed to make appt at the University where I finally got diagnosed with Sjogrens. I managed to be really sick and have mycobacterium kansasii and need TB treatment for one year and then got sent by my ENT, from another practice, to my current immunologist. You should have seen the faces on some of the docs in the clinic where I was told I could not find treatment in MN. They looked like a deer in the headlights when they saw all my diagnoses. I've had to report a few doctors over the years also and that also raises the radar making it harder to get good care. They want you to report a doctor that isn't doing right and then you get stomped on because you did. Wow!!!Only in the medical field.

The bottom line is this. No matter how mad you get, how sad you get, how desparate you get, you just have got to keep on advocating for yourself. It does not do any good to holler and insult docs or fight with them. We just have to maintain our dignity and fight for our life, literally. Eventually you will find a doc who will take one look at you and tell you that you are really sick. I have had a couple of them who finally noticed how ill I was and to them I will always be grateful.

I think we scare the bejibbers out of the docs because they want a quick fix for their patients and they also want to know what they are dealing with. When they meet us they are flumoxed. When they see us with all our complaints and ailments it is very easy for them to pigeon hole us as being "psychiatric" (been there) and hypochondriac (been there) and taking up too much of their time ( been there too) and they are scared to death of being sued over treating us. They have no clue and they don't even want to get involved. Not fair, isn't right, not ethical, you name it, but that is the way it is.

And then folks, try being an RN with some knowledge and the docs really mistreat you cause they think you are being a smart *&$%. They also think you are trying to tell them what to do. God forbid that we ever try to do that. Which reminds me, aren't we paying them for their service??? They are not God and they need to remember that but in the meantime they just need to use a little common sense with a caring attitude. I have said enough!!! Again!!! Irish ;D

ynevar

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 09:29:01 AM »
I don't have enough spoons to fight the clinic!

-Y

ynevar

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 07:28:28 PM »
So, I went to the clinic board meeting.  My husband and mother went with me.  We were the only people there to make public comment during the time allowed.  It started way late, but they stayed way late.  They listened attentively as I explained my situation.  They were aghast when they heard a provider told me the reason for my swelling is too much soy sauce, and said "it's practically a food group in southeast Alaska." 

I explained I have gone from a person who worked full time in social services.  Who was a substance abuse counselor, not out of personal experience but out of seeing so many native individuals navigating the system, and there being no native counselors.  I explained I raised 3 kids on my own, managed our lives and household by myself for a number of years.  I explained I have always been able to cook and participate fully in my children's lives. 

I explained the care I have received, the lack of concern or adequate response.  I asked them how would they feel if it was their mother, daughter or wife crawling on the ground, because it hurt too much to walk?  Would they be okay with the answers I have received?  It was excellent... I did a great job, I didn't yell, I didn't cry.  I explained how I had used some of my meager resources (now since I am unemployed) to go to Seattle next month to get answers.  To get treatment.

My husband did a great job of emphasizing certain points and my mother did as well.  I am glad I am done with that and said my piece.

-Y