Author Topic: New drug-resistant superbugs found in 3 states  (Read 7369 times)

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: New drug-resistant superbugs found in 3 states
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 12:43:34 PM »
Oh man, don't get me started on the purses. I always hang mine up in the public restrooms and if there is no hook I have been known to hang it around my neck from the front. I can't stand those restrooms. Sometimes the floors are wet around the stools. Yuck.

When I get home I will take my shoes off in the garage and then get paper towels and antibacterial soap to wash off my soles of shoes.

I have one bar stool(at home, not at the bar) that I place my purse on. I have a plastic bag covering the seat and that is where I set my purse. I frequently take the antibacterial wipes ( the stronger ones for cleaning) and wipe off my purse. I am so "anal" about bacteria.

I don't have to shave my legs much at my age, but I always make sure to shave them a few days before I go to the doctor or hospital. This way the skin has healed and there isn't an open opportunity for infection. Also, I had trouble with toe nails and had to cut aggressively most of the time. I always kept bandaides on the toes. The days I went to the doc I always made sure to have them covered with antibacterial cream. When we are high risk for infection any little skin nick that we are aware of needs to be covered in high risk places. That is my personal opinion.

I guess I am OCD about this. I feel that the main opportunity for infection is bathtowels, hand towels and washclothes. Also, the dishcloth and cleaning sponges, etc are another source of bacterial infestation. It is good to clean sink often and change dishclothes often. Also, sinks and bathtubs, toilets are another source of bacterial growth. Countertops also need to be wiped frequently.

The rest of the house needs to be keep clean as far as I am concerned, but who am I to throw stones cause mine is probably right up there with the top 10 messed up houses. We all do the best we can with the energy that we are allotted. May we all have the sanity to endure this stuff. Irish ;D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:48:10 PM by irish »

dainbramage

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 01:13:06 PM »
Irish,
I hate shaving my legs, my poor husband.
I wash my towels and sheets in my washer under deep clean and sanitized.
We do need bacteria in our lives, but be careful of hand sanitizer it gets rid of the good bacteria as well as the bad.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 01:18:09 PM »
I use liquid bleach on all my towels including the load of kitchen towels.

Also, I just thought of this from something I learned a long time ago. If you shave your legs "downhill" you will be less apt to get irritated hair follicles.

Also, I started using the Barbasol spray can of shaving cream for shaving. It makes for such soft smooth skin with less irritations. We used the shaving cream in the nursing home I worked in. It is great for washing up areas that need attention. Example: washing under the breast to prevent the fungal infections as it disinfects besides softening. Also works good for any other area that gets skin irritations. THe thing to remember is to make sure to rinse it off well. Irish ;D

dainbramage

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 01:19:42 PM »
I CAN SEE MY HUSBAND WONDERING WHY I AM WASHING MY BREAST WITH SHAVING CREAM. :D

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 05:50:33 PM »
dainbramage, You are causing me to laugh so hard I almost wet my pants. Irish ;D

Sooki

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 05:56:19 PM »
other sources of germs: doorknobs and money.  best thing, don't put hands in mouth, eyes, nose without the happy birthday thing first.
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

Sha

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 07:04:52 PM »
About antibiotics being prescribed too much....I took my daughter in for a sore throat and fever to make sure it wasn't strep and her pediatrician said no antibiotic was needed (she is very good at only prescribing it when needed and i feel the same)!

When we were leaving, she told me thanks, I said for what....she replied, "for understanding why antibiotics shouldn't always be used!" I guess there are a lot of parents, she said, who throw a fit about going to a docs office, paying a copay or for the full appointment cuz no insurance, and being told NO ANTIBIOTIC NEEDED doesn't register very well....I betcha they would think differently after reading joe's link :o

Sha

sewandsew

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 08:25:28 PM »
Another germ collector is the TV remote in hotel rooms.  Take a wipe to it before use.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 08:28:28 PM »
One of the morning shows, if I remember correctly, said your keyboard and mouse are very germy.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

dainbramage

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 04:56:53 AM »
Just to warn everyone....YOUR CELL PHONE IS NASTY TOO...Watch the people who talk all the time and go into the bathrooms.........YUCK

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 01:27:23 PM »
Sit in a hospital waiting room sometime and just watch people. Watch what they do with their hands. Also, the bathrooms, magazines, chairs we sit on, etc. Makes one really become paranoid about bacteria.

I try hard to keep my house in good order bacteria wise, but I know that it is really a no win situation. The good thing is that if we are really careful and washing hands, washing bottoms of shoes and using common sense we can help cut down on the bacteria we bring back into our homes. We need our homes to be just our own germs if possible.

Just think of shopping in Walmart and toughing all the clothes,etc. The other thing is the child care issues. Now days we have to be on our guard all the time. When you think of it I don't know why the death rate from infections isn't higher than it is.

Did you ever see Mike Rowe from the TV show "Dirty Jobs" give his little speel on what he does when he gets to a motel room??? He takes the phone and throws it in a corner and then he folds up the bedspread outside wrapped to the inside and throws it in another corner. He says that he can't stand the germs of all those people. Sort of funny when you see him working in a sewer or on some job without a face mask. Irish ;D

flutterfly

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 07:32:20 PM »
 :o  irish just made me think of a time when i was @ docs office & i watched a lil' kid pick up magazine after coughin' so hard i thought...
oh yeh thats WHOOPIN' COUGH (probably wasn't BUT cough was that bad) his mama & him left & ol' man picks up SAID magazine & ummmm...started flippin' through pages by lickin' finners ta get maximum page turnage & all i thought was...
whatever that lil'kid & ol'guy gotts...
so does the unknowin' soul who picks up SAID magazine NEXT!

now i bring my own entertainment!
(my DSIXL!)

~*flutterfly...wishin' i was the 1 ta market purell! daugumnit!*~

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 05:27:31 AM »
What can you do with it besides play games and create animations?
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

flutterfly

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 08:30:34 AM »
 :P  well joey...u can POST ta u all on it!

thats what i'm doin' right now 'cause hubbs is watchin' live coverage of NASCAR on laptop in the chair in front of COMPUTER!
so leaves me no choose but ta do it on dsixl! :P

~*flutterfly...yup i might actually BE 12!*~

Sooki

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 11:22:46 AM »
Reminds me of that novel Little Brother where the high-school hacker brings down the DHS using an XBox network....  (sorry off-topic)
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes