Author Topic: How to do lid massage for meiboman glands?  (Read 3808 times)

susu

How to do lid massage for meiboman glands?
« on: September 12, 2010, 07:14:16 PM »
Sorry, yet another question.    I need to do warm compresses and lid massage.
How often and how to do?     I am terrified to do the wrong thing in regards to lid massages.
Is there an online video for dummies - or could someone explain how to do the massages - do's and don'ts etc - again for dummies.    Thanks so much.     PS - does it really help?

ohiolady

Re: How to do lid massage for meiboman glands?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 07:31:11 PM »
Susu,

Don't fret about doing it wrong.  I use a rice baggie and put it in the microwave for 40 seconds.  You lay it on your eyes for at least 5 minutes.  Then you can take a q-tip wet with saline to run across your lower and upper lids.  Start from the inner lid and work to the outer.  Now, I just use my fingers to massage mine.  Yes, it does help.  My eye doctor can tell if I slack off.  Have you ever visited the website dryeyezone.  You can learn a lot on there and they sell rice baggies.  My friend makes mine.  She sews up a small bag of rice and makes a pillowcase to cover so I can wash it.  She makes me a new one about once a year.

Good luck.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 59

season

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 09:39:10 PM »
I never heard of eye massage. What is the benefit of wetting a q-tip and running it across your upper and lower lids. Does this help with dryness, pain?
female 58

primary Sjogrens, hypertension, aching joints, numbness and tingling in legs, dry eyes, nose, mouth; trigemenal neuralgia; irregular heartbeat, gastritis, diverticulosis, hi-hernia

meds: baby asprin, lorazepam as needed,  fish oil, Diovan for BP, Plaquenil, Salagen, Prevecid,

eyeamdry

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 10:20:16 PM »
There is a website that is devoted totally to DRY EYE and you can find out bookoos of info on eyelid care and other dry eye problems plus some items that may help.  I have no $ interest in this site. 

It's best if you do a search such as "eyelid massage" or what you want to look up before you post a question.  I also think there is a video on the website about doing eyelid massage.   Lucy

www.DryEyeZone.com.

ohiolady

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:42:22 AM »
Season,

My eye doctor said the fluid is supposed to be like oil and mine is like butter thus the heat and massage gets it to an oil like substance which is normal.   At least that is the way I understood his explanation. 

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 59

Prairie Gal

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 08:12:23 PM »
My eyes are bad infrequently now, but when they are, I dampen a washcloth and heat it up in the microwave for 7 or 8 seconds to lay across my eyes.  This warms the oil in the meibomian glands along our lash lines.  I have to reheat it several times during the 5 minutes or so I do this, so a rice baggie sounds like a great idea.  An old white sock filled with rice would work, too.

After I've warmed the area, I use my index finger--clean, of course--to stroke close to the upper lashes, starting close to my nose.  After a couple of minutes of stroking, I use Celluvisc drops (the thick ones) and my eyes feel better.  I've never massaged along the lower lid.

My opthalmologist says to think of the three layers of tears as being like salad dressing; free-flowing oil is important in keeping your eyes comfortable. 

Prairie gal
72 y/o F; SjS; Raynaud's; Lichen Sclerosus; Prilosec; Flexeril; Clobetasol; Lisinopril. ToCo-Q 10; MegaEFA; Black Currant seed oil; 5-HTP; SAM-e; Slo-Mg; Vit D3; Calcium; Aleve; 81 mg aspirin; multi-vitamin/mineral; Vit. B1,3, 6 & 12.