Author Topic: Hobbies and Interests  (Read 10689 times)

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Hobbies and Interests
« on: September 05, 2010, 08:06:35 AM »
Hi  :)

This is another thread that was run some time ago but many have left the forum since then and many more have joined.

What are your hobbies and interests - when you are feeling well enough to pursue them?

I go to a women's singing group once a week. We wouldn't dare call ourselves a choir because few of us have voices good enough to sing solo. It's like there's safety in numbers. As well as singing we don't take ourselves too seriously and we always have a good laugh which is very cathartic. The way we sound has actually improved too.  I don't know how long I'll be able to keep going because the throat dryness is now more of an issue than it was but I may just go and listen because havingb a laug is good anyway!

I also spend far too much time on Facebook playing silly games but it keeps my mind active.

Apart from that I like political arguments which are easy to have on line but - please note - I try to keep them out of this forum!!  :)

What about you?

Take care b- Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Hobbies and Interests
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:29:53 AM »
I have dropped out of most organized meetings including politics.

I like electronics, robotics, and computers.
Massage, reflexology, Reiki, and other alternative health care.

Now I just tend to spend my days with the TV on and on these forums so that I am not so alone.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Katmandu

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 09:11:07 AM »
I make costume jewelry, nothing fancy or expensive. Glorified beading is really all it is.

I also watch a lot of tv. I'm a sucker for reality tv.....Big Brother, Survivor, Say yes to the dress, Bridezillas.

I also like some of the basic cable shows, like Damages, In Plain Sight, Burn Notice.

Today, I'm watching the Phillies. I'm not a knowledgable fan, but very enthusiastic, lol!

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 09:44:11 AM »
mmmmm?

I like exercising in the pool.

Reading.

Crossword puzzles and Jumbles.

My grandchildren (most of the time).

Movies!!!!

Eating, especially out.

My friends and family (most of the time).

Planning things and doing research on the plans.

Kisses

Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

jstroble

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 12:08:26 PM »
I love reading and writing although I am not too good at the latter. 

Road trips.  I love them! It seems like all my troubles are gone the entire time I am gone. 

I used to love day hiking but I can no longer do that. 

Cooking, especially baking.  I am into Rose Levy Beramburm's cookbooks right now.  So far, I have The Cake Bible, The Bread Bible and The Pie Bible. 

It will be interesting to see what everyone else is into now.  Maybe I will find some new interests to entice me. 

Good idea you had!

Joyce

Katybarstool

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 12:20:08 PM »
Thanks for this thread Scottie.

My hobbies are not physical ones, but I love to read, and to send time on a couple of forums. And, for any other fan, here's a confession

I'M A DEAL OR NO DEAL FANATIC   ;D Would never have the guts to go on the show, but love to watch it.

KAthyx

lynnmarie219

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 06:49:52 PM »
Here's a few things I really enjoy doing around work and appts. for fun......

**Being on the computer playing games and of course Sjogrens World!  ;)

**Watching so many of those silly reality shows, but especially hooked on Big Brother and The Amazing Race!

**Love to do genealogy (tracing both sides of my family)

**Love my animals...I am one that seems to find all of the ones that need to be rescued!

**Music, music, music.....

Bopeep

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 01:50:47 AM »
I started a garden, it is close to about 7 acres,
I must of been temporarily insane. That, and I never knew I had sjogrens when I started.

I have a proporgation house to take cuttings to fill in the gaps in the garden which keeps me really busy. In fact sometimes I think maybe too busy, like more frantic. My husband built me my propagation house and finished it on mothers day.
When  asked him where my roses were, he replied, heck, I made you a propagation house you can make your pwn roses.
We have over 50 acres of land here which is my husbands dream. Just to own a bit of land and be responsible for all thats on it.
Which at the moment is over 100 ewes and over 80 lambs, 2 rams, not including the husband  ;D 1 labrador dog that Im sure is brain dead, and of course me who is perfect lol and hiolding it all together lol

SLEEPY101

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 03:10:30 AM »
Since my health problems I got back into my love for reading.

Gotta luv those reality shows -I love several,really like the shows with amazing cakes,cupcakes ect.
I am thinking about decorating a cake at the end of the month for my dad's bday

I like taking my kids to the zoo,children's muesuems. Tomorrow we are going to the CATHAVEN. A place that has BIG cat species.

I like to help in my children's classrooms at school. I enjoy teaching sunday every sunday for a class full of two yr olds:)
I used to teach a class on Weds full of 20 five to six years olds. That was to much to handle:)

Love watching family movies with the kids. And my quilty pleasure, my soap Days of our Lives

Love to travel,3 years ago I went of a 7 days cruise. Hope I can do that again that was the most relaxing time of my life:)

cat

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 06:18:17 AM »
I love photography and scrapbooking. I have too many books to count and I like to do them as gifts for friends and family, who really appreciate them.

I used to knit and crochet but can no longer do that.

I'm a sewer although am limited as to that now also. I do tackle the odd quilt still but takes me forever but much satisfaction when finished.

I'm a shopaholic although most of it is done on the computer these days. Love a bargain.

I read a lot. Mostly mysteries.

I spend time on the phone everyday with friends and family who live far away.

I do a lot of research on the net.

When I can afford it I like to do paper tole. I find it is very challenging and satisfying.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 11:16:02 AM »
One of my favorite "interests" . . don't know that I would call it a "Hobby", is going to garage sales.  I've been going to them or having them my whole life. 

I've found some real gems (to me) through the years and am proud to point them out to visitors to my house.   :D

Another interest of mine is playing games . . whether they be board games around the dining room table, a word find book, or on-line.  My favorite kind of games are the ones where I am "challenged" against other players to hold the #1 position.  I hold that current position in several of the games I play on-line.   ;D

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Pisces24

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 02:12:38 PM »
I like going to garage sales too - not only for the bargains but the social atmosphere/interaction. 

I've always alway been a book worm but as a kid it was always "historical" stuff - but I developed a high vocabulary. I try to stay away from the Friends of the Library book sales as I'll end up with at least a full box to take home. You don't want to know how many boxes I Already Have. LOL

I enjoy genealogy but have eased off that for awhile due to all my overtime at work. But I mull over it every so often. I am back to 1800 proven and further on some lines due to connections with others - if their info is correct.

I volunteer for agroup that helps elderly, disabled or low income folks keep their companion pet. We take food out once a month and help w/spay neuter, vet etc when we can so I help with fund raisers too.  We are finally 501c!

I would like to take up quilting again but it takes soo much time and you ever try to quilt/sew with pesky cats?   ROFL  ;)

journey

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 07:02:29 AM »
My cats (9 ;D) and dog, cat behavior, nature, movies, music, chocolate, gardening, my websites and photography.

Chickpea

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 04:52:58 PM »
Thanks for starting this, Scottie!

I love detective books - Anne Perry; Peter Robinson; Dorothy L Sayers; Robert Parker etc - and TV detective dramas. 

I keep my brain as active as possible with Kakuro and Killer Sudoku puzzles.  I'm also trying to learn how to do cryptic crosswords. 

I love reading the newspaper every morning and then emailing/texting/Skyping my children and boring them with details of what I've just read!  I get very excited about positive stories where people have made a difference; and very angry about injustice and cruelty.  I reckon there aren't enough of the first type of stories.

I love old films, especially romantic ones like Casablanca and Brief Encounter.  I'm also a sucker for war movies like The Colditz Story.  Anyone got suggestions for films you can watch when you're feeling low?  My current favourite cheering films are Speed, Runaway Jury, the Bourne films, anything by John le Carre ...

On good days I love to cook but when I run out of energy my poor husband has to do all the hard work!  I always have the radio on too - BBC Radio 3 for wonderful music, and Radio 4 for The Archers, the best soap ever!

Chickpea

inga

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 02:16:51 PM »
Bopeep,

I organically garden ONE acre.  I can't imagine 7!

I have two dozen chickens and if egg sales go well, I will expand to 3, or 4.....heavens, you live in what I consider heaven....

All those little lambs!  Maybe a goat or two?  I have 3 brain dead labs.

I used to spin wool...on a spinning wheel, but now with the neuropathy and arthritis I cant....but, I do other things....like chase chickens.