Author Topic: Ear piercing  (Read 5166 times)

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Ear piercing
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 09:52:25 PM »
BAck in the 70's I was employed as a nurse piercing ears in a jewelry store every other Saturday for about 2 years. I sure learned a lot about the healing of tissues that is for sure.

This is from my experience in piercing and helping people with the treatment of their holes after piercing. I would have many people come back to ask for advice and hands on help and I learned some interesting things.

First of all, when you have the ears pierced and they tell you to keep the earrings in for about 2 months without removing them---they are not kidding. If you take the earrings out too early the hole can just slam shut never to be heard from again. If you go poking around trying to find the hole the chances are darn good that you will get an infection. This part of the body has little blood and that means very, very, very slow healing.

I have had people take their earrings out after 2 months and leave them out for a couple of days and then put their earring back in. This often results in an infection. Reason being: when the earring is out for a couple of days inside that little hole the tissue starts to heal. When you put the earring back in you puncture that tissue and make an open area that is susceptible to infection. It is dark, moist, fairly bloodless and full of bacteria and bingo--infection.

I have learned that many people heal so darn slowly that it is really hard to keep them from getting an infection I finally came up with my own way of dealing with this and it works fairly well. Others may have other methods but lack of infection is the plan.

I tell people to always clean their earlobes with hydrogen peroxide before they put in a pair of earrings---no matter how many years you have had your holes. I also clean my earrings with disinfectant soap and water and rinse them and then soak in hydrogen peroxide a minute or two. I let them dry laying on a clean wash cloth that I keep just for this purpose. I buy a tube of bacitracin ointment and write on the tube with a black marker "ears only" and just before I put them in I dip the posts in the hole of the tube of antibiotic ointment so that a little gets on and goes into the hole in my ear.

May sound a little "anal" but I have heard the horror story's of gals who didn't take care of their ears and ended up in the hospital getting IV antibiotics from infection that spread down into the lymph system in the neck. Not a good thing.

I guess with an autoimmune disease I would leave my earrings in longer than the 2 months. You can clean them with cotton ball and peroxide and then take q-tip and little bacitracin to back of the posts. Just some info for thought.

Also, another thought I had---please do not swim in a lake or pool until your holes are healed. Very dirty water. Sounds like huge inconvenience, but infection is more than an inconvenience. Plan your piercings around the weather. Won't bother ice skating. 8) Irish ;D

P.S. Most people can tolerate the stainless steel posts. Some (like me) can't even tolerate the really good gold posts. I also advise leaving the studs that you get with piercing in for the 2 months and using them off and on over the years. This helps keep the holes open and large. If you leave an earring out for several weeks even years after healing one can still end up with damaged tissues inside the little hole and get infection. Either use the earrings much of the time or just forget them.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:30:56 AM by irish »

LizPetillo

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 03:39:31 AM »
I've always wanted a tatoo.  An Egyptian eye of horus tatoo.  No way I can get one now.  But I do think it would'a been cool.  I was born too late.  I'm a frustred gothie stuck in an old sick persons' body. 

Pisces24

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 05:43:42 PM »
Well you CAN get the tatoo with just the ink painted on. No piercing of the skin but of course it doesn't last long.

Patze

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 06:27:07 PM »
Hey Liz, I've always been a closet "gothie" too.  Wonder how many more of "us" are on the board?

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

navydad

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 06:35:20 PM »
I've always wanted a tatoo.  An Egyptian eye of horus tatoo.  No way I can get one now.  But I do think it would'a been cool.  I was born too late.  I'm a frustred gothie stuck in an old sick persons' body. 
How do think I feel liz,, years ago I got a Bengal tiger tattoo on my lower arm,, and I;m a Steeler fan,, I dont show it at the games,,

Patze

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 07:27:25 PM »
Another Steeler fan, yahoo! :D  And sorry to hear about the tattoo.

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen