Author Topic: Does fish oil make you smell?  (Read 7321 times)

Bucky

• Sjogrens Staff
Does fish oil make you smell?
« on: August 31, 2010, 07:43:21 PM »
I've tried to follow my own advice to everyone to "search" topics on our forum - I looked into "fish oil" and there are 8 pages of threads . . .  :o  I would be here all night   ::)

Short and sweet . . . my question is this:  Does fish oil make you smell?  Have you ever noticed you can "smell" fish on people when they have eaten it for lunch or dinner?  My doctor has recommended that I start taking fish oil but I don't want to if I'm gonna smell fishy!!   ::)

By the way . . . I'm not keen on fish any way!!  LOL

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
Re: Does fish oil make you smell?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 07:58:01 PM »
I definitely don't smell like fish, and I take three of those giant fish oil supplements a day!

If you are still concerned, buy the kind that promise you won't have "fish burps" (they might just say, "Coated for easy digestion" or something like that).  That's the only kind of fishy problem I've ever heard of anyone taking these supplements having.  Even then, it's not something that anyone else would notice.
SJS, Hashimoto's, Raynaud's
Plaquenil, Evoxac, Restasis, Levoxyl, fish oil supplements, Vitamin D, NSAIDs, prednisone when flaring
Tested positive for SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

Visit me at http://sjogrensstyle.com for ideas about living well despite autoimmune disease.

cmclien

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 08:21:42 PM »
I don't know about it making you smell but its foul when you burp and can taste it (and I like to eat fish but not like that!) and certainly I would think it would effect your breath :)  Plus it can make you (or me) queasy.
I switched to flaxseed oil which my eye doc says is just as good.

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 08:28:38 PM »
Hi Bucky,

Going to walk on the wild side are you? ;) ;D  Seriously though, I also take 2-3 a day, and the pills are a bit tough to swallow sometimes, but they have helped to lower my cholesterol and triglycerides to the normal range for the first time in almost eight years or so now (that and also taking Armour instead of Levoxyl.  Now I know that Levoxyl helps a lot of people, I just didn't react to well to it).

Like Cmclien, I can taste it when I burp, but no other time.

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

lynnmarie219

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 08:28:52 PM »
I don't take it now, but I did and I had no problem with smelling fishy... ;D! The capsules I took actually smelled like oranges as they were that way to avoid the fish burps!
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane"   Jimmy Buffett

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 08:44:06 PM »
No fishy smell here  :)  I take 2 per day.
Cheryl

Gerty

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 08:55:40 PM »
I was on fish oil orderless tabs to try and as far as I know I did not smell fishy at all not that I could tell well nobody complained not even my partner and just me he would have he complains about every thing else lol. so go for it give it a try hope you get benefits from it.

SweetCaroline

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 10:45:19 PM »
I take 3000 a day of 'odorless' fish oil...  I did notice a difference if it doesn't say 'odorless' on the packaging...

Seeker

• Where's the Coffee?
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 11:41:11 PM »
G'day Bucky, there is no easy answer to your question.  It just depends on the person.  The statement, you are what you eat, has a lot of truth.  Some people who have really bad B.O., found that changing their diet, changes their B.O..  If you find that fish oil capsules are causing oder problems, try using flax seed oil capsules.  You get the same benefits as fish oil.  Flax seed oil is also easier on the pocket book. 

Seeker   
Every day is an adventure, waiting to happen.

LeoLady

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 12:31:21 AM »
No fishy smell here either.  But I only buy lemon flavored Omegas.  No icky burping either, fishy or lemon.

Hugs,

LeoLady

ohiolady

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 08:50:34 AM »
I take Carlsons Fish Oil every day at 3000 mg.  It is light with a lemon flavor and I don't even think fish when I take it .  I actually like the taste.  They've come a long way since the cod liver oil we took as chldren.  You won't smell fishy.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 58

Julie

• My reflection is not ME any more.
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 10:02:19 AM »
My husband was taking the fish oil capsules up until a few months ago.  I noticed a foul breath odor and also at times it just seemed to come through his skin.  He was not aware of it at all.  He stopped taking them to see if that made a difference, and the odor went away.

Julie

gphx

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 11:19:41 AM »
The odor of some fish oils is due to sulphur. Fish oil can be low or high sulphur depending upon the freshness of the fish and whether the oil has been properly kept cool. I don't know if there's any additional process to lower sulphur content but there doesn't need to be if they simply exercise quality control.

Here's a document from the fisheries and aquaculture department saying these are the factors impacting sulphur content in the production of fish oil:
http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/003/X6899E/X6899E11.htm

Where fish burps make it seem as if there's a rotting fish in your gut in a way there is. Personally I've noticed less than fresh orange juice also becomes sulphurous. If it isn't fresh why have it in your body? As for me I'll stick with the burpless variety. More expensive in some cases but well worth it in my opinion.

I get a vision of a fishing boat breaking down and then returning to port with two week old, spoiled, fish. 'No worries', says the Captain,'We'll just make fish oil!'. No thank you. I'll take the fresh stuff please.

The type I take also says it has been purified to eliminate mercury, a big concern with fish these days. I can't see how getting rid of mercury could be a bad idea either.

As noted though flax seed and/or oil seems to be just as good and tasty too. Personally I use both but not everyone is a control freak.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 11:22:16 AM by gphx »
Dxed unspecific 'sicca syndrome' eyes and mouth. Neuro issues, muscle weakness. SS Seronegative but high inflammatory markers. Diabetes dx 2010. Glucose control improved neuromuscular issues. Enlarged thyroid under observation 2013. Yippee.

Bucky

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 02:34:38 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I don't know . . after reading some of these, I think I might go with the flaxseed instead.

You would think the pharmacist's and manufacturers would make medicine more appealing to take.   Flavor them after desserts . . . brownie bites flaxseed . . . . cherry cheesecake fish oil.   ;D  I know they can add flavors to kids medicines.

I don't think my boys would believe me if I said, "Don't eat the pan of brownies - I need that for my medicines".   ;D  Just a bite of brownie helps the medicine go down . . . medicine go dowwwwwwwn, medicine go down . . . .

If they would make them the size of M & M's would help too!  It's rough trying to get some of these horse pills down.  (I do find turning my head does help to get pills down.   ;))

I'll have to go stand in the vitamin isle soon and decide what I'm going to do.

Thanks,
Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 04:07:18 PM »
Trader Joe's does make Omega-3 gummies out of algae.  They are basically omega-3 candy.  

Unfortunately, I think you'd have to eat a whole lot of them to get the "therapeutic dose" of omegas, which would be tasty but kind of expensive (and probably more calories than I'd want to waste on vitamins!).  

I saw similar gummies at Target last night. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:25:56 PM by DragonflyC »
SJS, Hashimoto's, Raynaud's
Plaquenil, Evoxac, Restasis, Levoxyl, fish oil supplements, Vitamin D, NSAIDs, prednisone when flaring
Tested positive for SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

Visit me at http://sjogrensstyle.com for ideas about living well despite autoimmune disease.