Author Topic: Sick of smelling this smell!  (Read 17341 times)

deeindiana

• Deb Perry Studio: photography & graphic arts
Re: Sick of smelling this smell!
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2010, 02:52:44 PM »
I wish the neti fairy would personally come to my house and show me how to use a neti pot! I've watched a video but it doesn't help. I've tried and tried, but no matter what odd position I assume -- balance on one foot, face true north and jump up & down like a chicken --  I can't get it to run thru! My nose and sinus get sooooo dry that flushing it out sounds like it would be a relief. Sigh...
Deb
Diagnosed June 2010.
Rheumy at University of Michigan Med Center. Age 52
Severely dry mouth & throat with difficulty swallowing, fibro, allodynia of the scalp.
Medications: Atenolol, Dexilant, Zoloft, Zocor, Flaxseed oil, Vit D, Nasonex, Plaquenil
I am my own worst enemy...

jpd54

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2010, 02:54:12 PM »
I am so glad to read this!!!!  I get the moldy smell a lot and couldn't figure out what it could be.  Thanks for reassuring me I am not going crazy.

jpd
SJS, Fibro, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, GERD, Rosacea, TMJ

Celebrex, Gabapentin, Lasix, Potassium,Hydroxychloroquine, Lexapro, Lisinopril / Hydrochlorothiazide, Linzess, Metoclopram, Nexium, Oracea, Savella, Simvastatin, Vitamin D, Voltaren

Patze

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2010, 06:18:40 PM »
Hi Dee,

You mention having problems with the Neti pot (I sure did for the longest time before it finally clicked), do you use nasal sprays like Ocean to moisturize your nose (there are several brands and this is just the one I use the most)?  I know that when I have to work long hours, the spray sure helps with moisture especially when it gets cold.

Take care of yourself and I hope that you find a way to use the pot soon -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

eyeamdry

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
Deb, I just had a crazy thought about this.........take a bath and experiment while in the tub.  You'd be very clean, plus you'd get nothing wet.  Now, I do't mean to use the bathwater for the Neti Pot, but clean saline.  I have done this a couple of times and I see where it could be difficult.  If you make a mistake trying something tricky on the first try, then often the second try would not work either.  Lucy

SueAnn

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2010, 03:18:56 PM »
So this is day 2 of using the Netie Pot twice a day and I can say that I did not notice the smell as much today and I don't smell it right now.  I have also noticed that my sinuses feel less dry.    Here is hoping it stays that way.

Sue Ann
Sjs
LDN, Plaquenil, Evoxac, Prednisone, Restasis..
Vit B complex, calcium, Vit D
Female - 50ish

Daisy1234

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2010, 03:46:17 PM »
Good news SueAnn!  Crossing my fingers for you that the neti pot will continue to help you with nasal issues and phantom smells.  All the best,
Daisy

Prairie Gal

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2010, 04:09:30 PM »
Once in a while I smell something that doesn't seem to have a source.  More often, I get a metallic taste in my mouth - yuck!

Prairie gal

Joy Cox

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2010, 04:29:29 PM »
Hubby just went shopping for me at Wal-Mart this p.m. and came home with the NeilMed Sinus Rinse KIT by mistake...was suppose to only purchase packets of Therapeutic and Preventive Saline Nasal Moisturization for Daily Nasal use.  Whole Kit Cost $8.97.

Here's the plus... It is a plastic bottle with custom designed cap to fit into nostril. Holds 8 ozs. To sorta describe, it looks like a glass instead of the tea pot.

And, the kit has 50 pkgs of nasal rinse.

IT HAS BEEN SO MUCH EASIER TO USE THAN MY NETI POT.

Mailed teapot Neti pot to daughter that has SS. Now think I'll just send her a little gift from her Dad bwo/Mom and send her the bottle. As sure she is short on time now that she is working full-time and has two little girls to get ready for school.

Joy

P.S. It recommends the use of distilled water. Last I purchased at Wal-mart was 97cents a gallon. Might be good idea to use distilled water if you are having bad odor smelling issues. At least, until things improve.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 04:32:54 PM by Joy Cox »

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2010, 04:53:53 PM »
I sooo envy all of you who can use neti pots. I got one with high hopes that it would banish the lousy taste at the back of my throat (dxd as psot nasal drip) and make my sinuses wetter too.
I watched a video and when I used it - everything seemed to go where it was meant to. It was, however, accompanied by searing pain that I don't want to experience again. It seemed to shoot off in two direction - behind both eyeballs and also up both sides of the back of my head. I had a really debillitating headache for about an hour afterwards and a mildly sore head for the rest of the day.

I only used it once. I can't summon up the courage to use the neti pot again. Was I doing something wrong or has anyone else experienced this? It went in one nostril - and came out the other - and i was very careful to get the mix right.  Suggestions?

Thanks - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Joy Cox

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2010, 05:50:43 PM »
Scottie, Too hot or too cold mixture?  Either, I think, would give you a headache!   :-\

Years ago before discovering Neti Pots, I would have what I referred to as a 'sore head' and that's exactly what it was. My scalp was sore to touch and tight as the dickens!!! In a few days I would have a sinus infection.

Have not had sinus infection in many years, Lordy knock on wood. ;)  I faithfully use the Neti Bottle in the morning with the purchased pkgs. I know, sodium chloride and baking soda. I use at night  a Natural Care Gel... just put a little on end of finger and insert in each nostril.

Wait a few minutes while my CPAP humidifier warms and then attach nasal pillows of CPAP into my nostrils for the night.

Can't complain about the nose, just the 'strange feeling' tongue...neuropathy, more than likely...

Scottie, encourage you to try the new bottle Neti and if you do, slowly squirt the liquid up your nose.  Give it a try...wild woman!!! :-*

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2010, 07:21:50 PM »
Lol@Joy!  :)

Nope - it wasn't too cold or too hot it was about baby bottle heat - or slightly cooler. I had a really sore head on several occasions. One time it landed me in hospital but they couldn't figure out what was causing it. Another time it was really painful for too days and then my forehead swelled up and the pain eased off and it took about a week for the swelling to move down my face and eventually disappear. A clueless GP at the time wondered if it might be sunburn. It was January - cold - and I hadn't been out.

When I was a kid I had a constant headache for months. Turned out I needed a mastoid bone removed - it was suuppurating slowly. Actually the headache returned after that and was eventually put down to 'tension'. I used to eat aspirin at school as though they were sweeties just to get through the day.

The neti pot kind of blew my head from the inside. It literally felt like it exploded into pain. I may pluck up the courage to try it again - but its not a pain I want to repeat!!  (It doesn't stop me recommending them as a possible solution to people in here.  :) )

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Babs659

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2010, 05:46:17 AM »
Scottie, this happened to me the first time, so I used less saline in the water and it was much better.

SueAnn

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2010, 04:09:26 AM »
I didn't use the netie pot yesterday due to having surgery and that dang smell was back full force.   So I will be using it everyday, I just need to remember to do it before I get ready for work.  ::)

SueAnn
Sjs
LDN, Plaquenil, Evoxac, Prednisone, Restasis..
Vit B complex, calcium, Vit D
Female - 50ish

navydad

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2010, 04:27:05 AM »
If yoour really stuffed up,, it has no where to go,, and just backs up in there,, if your mucos is as thick as mine,, use straight ocean spray,, loosen things up and then try the nettic pot,, if you have a earache,, DO NOT USE IT,,, might make things worse,, my eustachian tubes are constantly plugged,,

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2010, 08:13:36 AM »
I have been using the Neti pot and the squeeze bottle for about 2 years. I sort of exchange them depending on how my nasal area feels. The neti pot is more gentle and the bottle has a more vigorous "wash" that tends to get the hard to move stuff out.

I hope I am getting this right but I think that the directions are to bend over the sink and turn head side to side when using the pot. The pot is not meant to totally flood your sinuses and rinse them out but just to sort of do a quick flush in the closer regions which in turn will cause the farther regions to drain. Also, do not tip your head back as there is a sinus behind the nose area that can fill with water and this sinus tends to not drain well. This can set us up for infection in that sinus which can give one a headache beyond belief that can be as bad as a meningitis headache.

Also, there is a product called Alkalol that you can buy at the drug store. It is an OTC solution that is used for irrigating the nose. My ENT told me to buy it. My pharmacy doesn't carry it but they order it for me 3 bottles at a time and it cost about 4$ a bottle. This product is not drying if you use it a very small amount at a time mixed in the water.  I don't even measure it as you can tell by the taste and smell if it is strong enough. The bottle says to use much more than I can tolerate. It has some spices,etc and really freshens things up plus has ingredients that loosen the mucus. It is best to irrigate with the saline solution and then an hour later or so use the Alkalol solution to loosen up and flush out the mucus.

I have to tell you that my DIL has sinus issues and bought a neti pot after hearing me tell about it. She called up one day madder than a wet hen complaining about how it darn near drowned her and gagged her so bad she almost threw up. I swear, I don't have a clue what happened when she used it but she must have a really sensitive naso-pharynx. So everyone is different.

My ENT advises that all patients use boiled distilled water these days. Used to be they could use tap water but not with all the pollution-- he has changed to the boiled distilled water. I pay 82 cents a gallon at Walmart for my distilled water and I keep on the lookout for the sales of 2 gallons for a buck. I try to keep 6 gallons ahead all the time so I am not forced into buying the more expensive stuff.

I boil up a half gallon or so distilled water and let it cool and then pour it into an empty distilled water jug and store it in the refrig. I use about 1/2 to 1 cup of water every time I irrigate so it does last a while. I have also noted that the 1 tsp or full packet of sinus rinse powder (to 1 cup water) seems way to strong for me and drys my sinuses out. I use about 1/2 packet and this saves me money also. Sjogrens is really a spendy condition to have that is for sure.

I have been doing this since January of 2000 and I am so bloody sick of it I could scream. I have had such horrible infections over the years that I have had to irrigate up to 10 times a day to get clean out my naso-pharynx area. Where ever I goeth my boiled gallon of distilled water goeth, as does my neti pot, my eye drops, my ear drops, my denture cup, tablets, brush and paste, plus my albuterol and sterile saline vials, neb tubing and  my Vest that pounds my chest. Sheeeesh. What an expensive thing these autoimmune diseases can be. Too many OTC things or out of pocket expenses.

Just a note, I have used the vibrating water pic with an attachment years ago and that really worked good. I was dumb and threw it away because I must have had a couple good days and was thinking this was the end. Bad move on my part. I also use the baby syringes that open on the end of the bulb for good cleaning. These work well to irrigate also. It just depends on what a person likes the best.I bought a heavy plastic 2 cup measuring cup at Walmart and put the water in there and set in microwave for about 20 secs or so to take the chill off. The colder water cuts through mucus better than warm water does. Something I learned while working in nursing that has come in handy.

Now I ask you, did any of you ever think that "mucus" would take up such a large portion of our life. I doubt it. Remember the good old days when mucus never entered our minds!!!!!!!!!! Good luck. Irish ;D