Author Topic: Sick of smelling this smell!  (Read 17340 times)

Epson

Re: Sick of smelling this smell!
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 09:52:55 AM »
The burnt electrical fire smell is often associated with seizures, but I know what some of you are saying about a funk smell and I get it with tissue inflammation in my nose.  I think it's some kind of infection or a reaction to tissue inflamation. ???

Pegasus47

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 11:34:44 AM »
Just a thought!

This maybe all related to one's digestive system.  Keep it healthy- eat cultured yogart - no fat to upset the stomach and cause indigestion.  Keep morning bowel movements coming.  Check your urine pH and make sure it is not very acidic. Great if it is neutral.  You can buy pH paper at the drug store and check yourself. 

When every I have bad breath- due to one of those factors not being right - I know it. 

Hope this is helpful

Pegasus

SueAnn

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 02:45:11 PM »
Since I smell this no matter where I am, I'm guessing that I have no spooks in the house.  ;D

Liz, did you watch that show, I am thinking it is called ghost adventures..  Wow, truly freaky things going on out in Navada area.  Even the ghost hunters ran screaming out of the hotel.

I am going to try the neti pot and see if that helps.

Sue Ann
Sjs
LDN, Plaquenil, Evoxac, Prednisone, Restasis..
Vit B complex, calcium, Vit D
Female - 50ish

Joy Cox

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 03:00:33 PM »
SueAnn, If you not already got a Neti Pot, may I suggest you get a Neti Bottle.

The bottle is a 'breeze' to use.  And, you do not have to bend you neck and head.... mine hurts!!!

Use it every morning, just fill and I do use purchased Neti packets, and put in little pan of hot water and do the eye wash and compress and then finish up with Neti Bottle and Rosecea cream on face.

Have a girlfriend that cleaned everything in her house and come to find out she had a sinus infection.  
Like you, friend remarked that it was everywhere she went... ;)

Keep us posted as to what you find out it is....

Babs659

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 04:16:53 PM »
I usually have the opposite problem.  My sense of taste and smell are greatly diminished.  The other day I was eating blueberry yogurt and suddenly realized I couldn't taste a thing. 

But I know what you mean.  Sometimes I eat something and taste soap.  The other day I dumped a whole glass of beer out because I thought I hadn't rinsed the glass enough.  Once I was cooking tomato sauce or something and all I could smell was motor oil!

SueAnn

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 03:15:10 AM »
I dug out the nettie pot this morning and used it and so far no smell. ;D   

I am hoping that this will last all day.

I am back to work at school and with all the little germ factories giving out free germs I will be surprised if I haven't picked something up already. :-\

SueAnn
Sjs
LDN, Plaquenil, Evoxac, Prednisone, Restasis..
Vit B complex, calcium, Vit D
Female - 50ish

SLEEPY101

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 04:08:51 AM »
@ Joy that is a good point. The smell is a lot strong it I have a sinus infection or if I am starting to get a migraine.

`@Sue what is Nettie Pot?

Patze

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 04:53:55 AM »
Hi Sleepy,

Here is a neti pot that I use, and haven't really had too many sinus problems since.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=164302&catid=59915&aid=337953&aparam=neilmed_nasaflo_neti_pot&CAWELAID=61285576

And here is an article about it's effectiveness from a decent source
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus-pain-pressure-9/neti-pots

By chance, do you have stomach problems?  The reason I ask is that sometimes stomach issues can also cause problems with sinuses/throat.  Once the stomach is taken care of, the sinus problems can get better (not in the medical field (just my humble opinion), but this is something that I've had to deal with too).

And I still get those odd smells...

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

SLEEPY101

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 04:57:48 AM »
@ Patze

I do have stomach problems. I alway assumed that my sinus and chronic sore throats were due to dry mouth. I will have to ask about my tummy next time I go in for a check up. I am no longer on stomach meds and my throat symptoms are worse but so it my dry mouth.

Thanks for the links

SLEEPY101

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 05:03:30 AM »
I checked out the link I will have to try it out. It is actually kind of cute. I will have to hide it because I know my daughter would want to play tea party with it:) LOL

navydad

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 05:17:20 AM »
I always smell heating oil,, always that sickening smell of heating oil,,,

puccini914

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 07:38:02 AM »
It's really strange that you mention this, I've been getting that weird electrical burning smell.  My Hubby has been out of town for almost two weeks, so it's just me and the kids.  I go from room to room and I just can't track it down to a source.  It really smells like wires burning.  I even feel the walls for hot spots and nothing.  Then there are the times when I'd swear I smell poop.  Sometimes it smells like cat poop and I run around the house looking for a present from kitty and nothing, the cats been out all night, and think the dog must have tooted or something.   Check the baby's diaper and nothing.  Maybe part of the reason I'm so tired is I actually run around the house chasing these phantom smells.  TThe worst was last winter when my DH brought in a big stack of damp Red OAk and I was once again on the smell search.

Daisy1234

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 10:13:20 AM »
SueAnn:

Pls let me know if the Neti Pot works out for you on a consistent basis.  It did help me quite a bit with phantom smells and also just have the nasal cavity flushed out actually helped the dryness, sinus infections and occasional nosebleeds.  Glad that you're at least getting some initial relief. 

Puccini, you may wish to get that smell of burning checked out.  It is called,"Phantosmia" when its a burning smell.  This type of smell sometimes may be attributed to seizure activity in the brain.  However, with us Sjogies, it may just also be part of the package.

Hugs,
Daisy

RichyRich

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 11:35:50 AM »
Perhaps you're smelling a mixture of what you intake, such as drinks and liquid medications and some digestive gasses.  One thing I've noticed is that since my tongue is so dried out, the residue from drinks such as colas or tea stick to it thus making my breath smell worse.  The same can be said about digestive gasses.  So, maybe it's a bit of the combination the nose catches while exhaling either through the nasal passages or even out of the mouth.

Hypermobius

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 01:04:23 PM »
I usually have the opposite problem.  My sense of taste and smell are greatly diminished.  The other day I was eating blueberry yogurt and suddenly realized I couldn't taste a thing. 

But I know what you mean.  Sometimes I eat something and taste soap.  The other day I dumped a whole glass of beer out because I thought I hadn't rinsed the glass enough.  Once I was cooking tomato sauce or something and all I could smell was motor oil!

The dysgeusia is more than likely from your Hashimoto's which is causing chemosensory problems. Some studies have shown zinc supplements or ALA to improve these symptoms. You may want to ask your doctor about it.