Author Topic: Sick of smelling this smell!  (Read 17331 times)

SueAnn

Sick of smelling this smell!
« on: August 29, 2010, 03:36:27 PM »
Just a vent... I have been smelling a nasty smell for the last couple of weeks.  It smells like an old nasty ashtray and it is not going away.   :P  We don't smoke and I go out of my way to avoid any type of smoke.    Does anyone else get these nasty smells stuck in your nose?

SueAnn
Sjs
LDN, Plaquenil, Evoxac, Prednisone, Restasis..
Vit B complex, calcium, Vit D
Female - 50ish

eyeamdry

Re: Sick of smelling this smell!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 03:42:57 PM »
SueAnn, I have what I would rather not write about, but what the heck...........I think mine comes from my stomach - or- somewhere inside me and the smell comes out the mouth and or nose.  I chew sugarless gum, brush frequently, use mouthwash, but this is bad and I know it's something to do with Sjogrens.  I never had it before my diagnosis.  I guess it could be caused by some of the many pills I take.

I use Biotene products also to try and keep things clean.  Lucy

Patze

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 03:50:56 PM »
Hi Sue,

I don't get the "smoke" smell, but I'll get an electrical burning one mainly, and also a mold like smell now and then. 

I've not thought about the stomach connection Lucy, but that sure is something to think about (need to ask the gastro next time I see her).  I don't know about you, but my goodness, I sure wish a doctor would figure it out soon!

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

SueAnn

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 04:52:10 PM »
I didn't think that maybe there was a stomach connection, anything is possible with sjs.  I was thinking it was more along the lines of sinus issues as they started about the same time as the smell.   I have had the burning electric smell before, but this one is just gross.  I hate cigarette smoke and use to bartend and have to clean ashtrays. 

I will have to ask next time I go in.

SueAnn
Sjs
LDN, Plaquenil, Evoxac, Prednisone, Restasis..
Vit B complex, calcium, Vit D
Female - 50ish

inga

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 04:58:32 PM »
I feel at times I can smell the inside of my nose.  I usually don't share this info with others, lol.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 07:35:37 PM »
Hi  :)

I don't get a nasty smell in my nose but I have a permanently horrible taste at the back of my mouth.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

cmclien

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 07:56:02 PM »
Sometimes I get this awful taste in the back of my mouth too!  It will last a few days and then disappear and I have no idea why!  But its bitter and drives me a bit nuts while its there.  I think its something coming from my sinuses or something but really have no idea if thats valid or not.

Gerty

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 08:15:31 PM »
Yes I get weird smells all nasty. Not so long ago my partner served up a meal I could swear it smelt like lambs kidneys but I know we did not or don't have any lambs kidneys and deff was not part of the meal. I was thinking about this and the next day when I opened up the fridge I opened up the container of the left overs from the night before and there it was again sheep kidneys I don't like kidneys at all I think but not sure it was the corn that was in the meal I normal love corn and love the smell of it but Ive got to admit the meal did not taste like corn it smelt like kidneys we have not had anything with corn in it since so I guess I wont know until he cooks with corn again. And I will quiet offten smell things that are not there but that is odd because my sense of smell and taste is pretty bad and has been for years. I also  have a bad taste in my mouth all of the time could this be what its from I wonder.

eyeamdry

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 09:25:52 PM »
Mine is definitely not from sinus or nose cavity.  It's breathe or some organ down the hatch.

SLEEPY101

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 11:27:35 PM »
I smell a musty,moldy smell sometimes. I always ask my family does it smell in here or is it just me? It is always just me

LizPetillo

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 03:15:49 AM »
Sometimes phantom smells in a house are spooks.  Really.  (yes, I"m into the 'strange and unusual'.
You might have spooks if you only smell it in the house.  Try smudging.  White sage.  Kick 'em out.

Daisy1234

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 05:44:51 AM »
Well I have the same problem as the rest of you, phantom smells up the ying yang.  I believe this is called Phantosmia or Parosmia depending on what is triggering the problem.  What helps me get rid of the issue or at least minimize it is the use of a Neti Pot.  Sounds a bit gross but it helped me.

Hugs,
Daisy
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 05:46:22 AM by Daisy1234 »

Cricket

• My Cancer Journey
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 07:55:50 AM »
Yes, I get the same smoke smell in my nose and have found if I use a saline spray in my nose it does help.  I thought it might be that the sinus is to dry and the moisture helps.

Good luck
Cricket
Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

Kerrikins

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 08:08:14 AM »
Yes I get phantom smells too! I smell something like a chlorinated swimming pool, it's weird.

I get a nasty rotten taste/smell in the back of my throat too, it comes from my stomach and I used to have it all the time. I started taking digestive enzymes and betaine HCL and now I hardly ever have it. It comes from food not being digested properly, from what I have read. It seems to be true for me since those supplements really improved things. If anyone has that and also suffers from heartburn you may want to look into hypochlorhydria.

LizPetillo

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 09:38:20 AM »
I get phantom tastes. Yesterday, during a flair, it was like soap.