Author Topic: Hair we go . . . .  (Read 8529 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Hair we go . . . .
« on: August 21, 2010, 11:20:27 AM »
I've got a hair appointment on Tuesday and I'm trying to decide what to do with my hair.  I've got long hair (below my shoulders) and I really like my hair, except for the thinning in the crown area.  It is very, very thin there. 

I'm trying to decide if I should get a shorter layered cut this time to try and give me some "volume" on top.  Part of me says . . "no . . it's taken such a long time to get my hair all one length".  Another part of me says . . . "yes, it won't drag down so much on top and you'll be able to curl it and fluff it up to help mask your thinness along with using my new hair powder".

Any thoughts?  (besides get a wig or hair piece)

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Shani

Re: Hair we go . . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 11:49:55 AM »
I have really long hair, like past my waist/hips pretty much- to bottom =).It's pretty thin on the crown aswell and has gotten a lot thinner in general.I was thinking of getting a haircut too, a bit shorter and in layers.But I love my hair way too much to get it cut, I've always had long hair.It's your own choice which you prefer really.But you can always ask a hairdresses what would be best to keep your hair healthy and good looking.

Hopefully other people on here can help you with this.=)

Sheltiemom

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 01:14:05 PM »
Bucky,

Next week must be get a haircut week, because I also have an appointment.  It'll be a short bob again.  Which means:  Cheekbone length at the front, very gradually angled shorter along the sides and then leveled off at the back with what they call a wedge at the base to give the hair above it volume.  IMy hair is thinnish near the top in back, so this style is good for me. 

Plus I love it because it's a great 1920's-1930's look, and I have pictures of my mother wearing that style in the 1930's.

Sheltiemom

Katybarstool

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 02:33:40 PM »
Sheltiemum

Your hair sounds like mine. I've had it very short fo years, but grown it this past year os so, and I love it -except for the thinning bits just behind my fringe. I think this style is good for giving an impression of having thicker hair.

Bucky, you could join us - we would be triplets :)

Kathyx

Daisy1234

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 02:43:44 PM »
Just wanted to add something...  Has everyone who has thinning hair had their Estrogen levels checked along with their Thyroid levels?

Both of these can cause thinning of the hair.  Its worth it to check it out to see if its just not plain old Sjogrens.

susanr

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 04:04:12 PM »
I just had mine cut yesterday, was a few inches below my shoulders, now layered and above my shoulders, so I can still put it behind my ears (I hate those pieces of hair poking me in the eye!) with an angle cut front to back. I am letting the gray grow in so I wanted to cut it and I really like it.

I have been having problems with my scalp along with everything else, feels like sores, but nothing really there except redness. It itches/burns/hurts and I am sure chemicals don't help...so time to go salt and pepper.

And mine is thinning too, so I kept my bangs as much as I would love to grow them out. But yes, the cut has given the appearance of more body, volume and fullness. Yay!

Anyway, Bucky I hope this makes it easier to go for it!

Sheltiemom

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 04:24:04 PM »
Katybarstool,

How funny - we'd be the three bobketeers - or something. 

But seriously, a bob-type style ALWAYS looks good.  And, if one feels like pulling it back a bit, just two little and you have a different look because it's not layered.

Let us know what you decide, Bucky, and how you like the new look after it's been done.

Cheers,

Sheltiemom

Sheltiemom

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 04:26:27 PM »
somehow, the word "clips" didn't take.  .......two little clips ......

Typo!

Sheltiemom

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 05:02:21 PM »
Sheltiemom & Kathyx - I don't know . . . I don't think I'd look good in a "bob".  Growing up I always had a "pixie" - then I hated them and let my hair grow out.

I go through these fazes where I wear it short, I wear it long . . . I wear it short, I wear it long.   ::)

I don't think having a bob will give me the fullness I need on the top of my head where it's the thinnest.

Many years ago, (15+), I went to this place where they did a "Styles on Video" with hairstyles.  (a friend of mine got a VCR tape of her styles, I only got a printed sheet of my styles).   It was fun!  You could virtually try on hairstyles and colors before actually cutting your hair.  They offer that on the web, but I'm leery downloading my "mug" to something like that.  The local place that used to do that, doesn't have it any more.  >:(   Of course, some of the styles I picked out wouldn't work for my baby fine hair unless I wanted to use a whole can of hair spray or gel each time.  (I don't use hair spray - it makes me ill).

Usually, what I do is look through hair sites on-line and print out styles I like or cut them out of magazines.  They have selections of hair styles based on the shape of your face.  I asked my hairdresser what she thought my face shape was . . . and she didn't know!!   :o  I think it's oval . . . or it could be heart shaped.

Are "shags" in these days?  I'm not sure what the difference (if there IS any) between a layered cut and a shag cut - are they one in the same?

High ho, high ho off to look at hair styles I go . . . . . .

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 05:30:23 PM »
Bucky,
  When I wore a "shag" cut :), it had really long layers.   You might try a bob style, as suggested - turning under just at or under your chin, for example.   It can still be layered to help with volume.  You just wouldn't want really short layers.   Keeping bangs helps to hide the thinning, too.  Let us know what you decide to do!  (Doing that video thing would be fun!)
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

Patze

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 05:40:07 PM »
Hi Bucky, when I had to cut my half way down the back hair very short because of this mess; had it layered and it was easier to "hide" the thinness if you know what I mean.  I had it cut to way short, but now have it a bit below the jaw line, and it works for me.

Take care -

Patze
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:11:02 PM by Patze »
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

eyeamdry

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 05:45:26 PM »
I've had my hair at about the same length for a long time except for a time or two.  I had my hair cut into a spiky do that normally would have looked good on me.  Nothing extravagant.  My scalp showed and my roots came out grey/white and it made the scalp show up more.  I almost cried after that one.  I've been asking my hairdresser and others.  

My hair is thin on top, sides and crown.  I have grown it just a tad longer than I normally would have to see if longer hair (with a perm/body wave) would look like more hair.  (More hair for a comb-over)lolol.  Hair is very brittle and like straw.  I thought if I could grow it long enough to pin it up on the sides and some sort of small twist in the back, it might help. I am seriously tired of people with hair telling me what I'm doing wrong. Also, I may visit a beauty salon that handles wigs, falls, pin ons etc.  

I am tired of looking like a witch when someone comes to the door.  I don't do anything to my hair unless we are going away and then I do the curling iron routine and the hair is straight again as soon as we are outdoors.   The hair in front is just below my ears and behind that is a little longer.  (I am trying to get the sides the same as the back into one length.  It sounds like a MULLET, but iti' not. lUCY

Kerrikins

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 06:57:03 PM »
My hair has been on the thin side for about 8 years, I suffered with autoimmune type symptoms for years before being finally diagnosed w/ SJS. It's an overall thinness, especially on the sides, with no bald spots. It happened within just a few months, it actually fell out so much that it broke my vacuum cleaner! I had to cut it off of the rollers and it was shocking, it could have been a hairpiece there was so much! I went to Dr after Dr in my 20's and...nothing. It's weird though, I lose hair like a maniac but it grows fast too, so it stays consistent. Over the past 3-4 years I have developed mal-absorption and my hair gets very brittle and dry especially if I grow it out or dye it and anything other than a short cut makes my hair look stringy so if it's long I can't wear it down. Right now I have a short layered cut, it looks like a pixie cut that is on the longish side, the top layer is almost jaw length. I have to say I feel better about my hair than I have in years, it doesn't appear thin right now and I use Burt's Bee's shine shampoo & conditioner and it really helps the texture.  I use Giovanni hair thickener before blow drying, and I add a bit of the Burt's conditioner mixed with water as a leave-in when my hair is almost dry. One mistake I was making for years was only buying the volumizing products, it was turning my hair into poofy straw. I also have the hair powder and I have to say it goes great with short hair, I only use it on the part. It didn't do me a lot of good having my hair on top looking good with stringy thin hair hanging down!  :D It may only be my imagination at this point but I feel like it's falling out less since starting Plaquenil 3 weeks ago, I have my fingers crossed!

harlin

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 07:14:39 PM »
Hi Bucky
My hair is about shoulder length but layered. I have an apt on Friday to have it colored and cut. My hairdresser is thinking that if I go one length it would seem thicker. Mine is thin around the hair line all around. My crown is still thick. I need another perm but she is hesitant about it. She thinks it will break off. I don't know what to do. The bob really did work for me for years but it is so thin now I don't thing it would hold. I probably will beg for a perm we will see.
harlin

eyeamdry

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 11:16:05 PM »
Harlin, I always try and go without a perm as I know it's bad for my hair.  I also color my hair.  However, without a perm my hair is just fine and flat and looks like I'm almost bald.  The perm does make my hair dry and brittle, but I can use a curling iron and work down the frizz and end up with something decent with a little power on the curling rod.

I have tried to go without the perm, but I can't.  And forget leaving off the coloring, I'd die before that happens.  Or at least be bedridden.  My sister died a year ago after being sick with cancer.  She had her beautician come in and put some color in her hair just about a week or 10 days before she passed.  She looked fabulous for her funeral.  I told my hairdresser she will have to do me when the time comes.  Lucy