Author Topic: SSDI Has Ordered a Mental Examination  (Read 17614 times)

LeoLady

Re: SSDI Has Ordered a Mental Examination
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 11:45:51 PM »
Rhonda:

Mental evaluation, huh?  Just walk-in crying, wearing a bunny suit with a cigar in one hand and a beer in the other.  No Problem.

Hugs,

LeoLady

Rhonda

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 06:30:23 AM »
too funny! 

Rhonda

SSDI Has Ordered a Mental Examination
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 01:09:52 PM »
So.... I had the Mental Exam yesterday.  It lasted about 30 minutes.  Basic questions about me and my work history; marriages, kids, etc.  I had a serious case of brain fog yesterday.  She asked me to count backwards from 100 by 7's - I swear I could NOT do it... at least not to her satisfaction!  So, she asked me to count backwards by 3's - which I could do, but I had to stop and think about it. 

I apologized to her but explained that I have these brain fog days that I just can't think straight.  She then gave me 3 words to remember and we talked about other things.  When she asked me those 3 words - I could NOT for the life of me think of them!  I was SO embarrassed.  I still don't know what those three words were!  I think one might have been carrot - but I wouldn't bet my life on it!

It is so depressing to think that just 2 years ago, I was bright and energetic and felt like I could tackle the world - and now I am making lists to remember to do all the things I planned to do that day. 

So, I don't know if I passed or failed - if I am mental or depressed!  She did say she thought I had an awful lot on my plate and a lot of diagnoses going on and that she felt bad for me.  She even said she was sorry I was having so many problems. 

Now, I wait some more.  I will be glad to get some sort of answer.

Just wanted to share with you all.

Epson

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 03:24:16 PM »
I never had to do any of this for my SSDI, is it that obvious that some of us are so crazy an exam isn't needed ???

SLEEPY101

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 05:13:10 PM »
Wow,
  Those questions were hard. I would have a hard time answering those also.

Just like even if I am sober I cannot walk a straight line:)

eyeamdry

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 05:35:47 PM »
I had to do these tests and my disability is because of my eyes.  I didn't have a thought about having Sjogrens syndrome until a couple of years later.  I couldn't figure out what this had to do with my eyes, but I answered the questions.  I think I got them all right.  It is hard to count backwards by a certain number when you are told to do so under pressure.  Hope the SSDI is successful for you.

newhorizons

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 05:42:50 PM »
Rhonda, Sounds like you 'aced' your test.... ;)

CK

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 02:49:42 PM »
oh my goshness ! I would so totally fail this test -- I canno count backwarrds by 7 or 3 nor can my brain spell crowd backwards etc -- I forgot who wrote Romeo & Juliet and i was lost on the president lol...obama took me awhile to remeber -- but this has been happening to me a long time...losing words to express myself and terrrible memory esp short term --- but I am also having a harder day in some ways then normal --started taking cymbalta -- this will be night 4 -- nausea is bad and I am so tired. the depression just got to be too much for me -- I hope the cymbalta works good and that the salagen will start to work soon !!! GOD Please let me make saliva ! :(

marilyn143

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 12:16:17 AM »
I had a whole day of those tests and I swear it has been 7 years but I remember the 3 word thing and I'm sure 1 was carrot! I think I failed or maybe it was passed ::) either way i had enough other conditions that I got ssi ssd  good luck with things

LizPetillo

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 03:23:58 AM »
Considering all the misdiagnosis .. considering all the drugs ... considering all the drug reactions .. considering we feel like crap .. considering our futures will just have this disease progress ... considering that 50% of sjogrens patients develop other autoimmune diseases ... considering that no one really understands the disease or what we go through .. considering the attitude of the doctors towards us ... considering how our lives have had to change because of this ... considering we can't even eat comfort foods anymore or do the 'usual' stress reliefs of going on vacation,etc ... considiering that even our friends say stupid things and don't understand ... considering we don't know what awful feeling each day will bring ... considering _______ (fill in the blank) ...

.... WHO WOULDN"T BE UPSET or anxious or sad ??? 

navydad

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 07:59:12 AM »
I had those test,, although I think they were just done to show if I was even alive,, remember three words,, count backwards by 7,, I have no idea what there looking for,, look,, its tough enough even if your well to try and do that stupid test,, and they think we should be able to do it while were trying to stay in the seat without falling out,, I swear the things they do are so archaic and should have been tossed out of usse years ago,, exactly what good are they when your suffering from neuropathy,, what good are they when your eyes look like two dry holes in your head,, and when you try to speak you sound like you have bread stuffed in your mouth,, if you werent mental before you got this disease,, you sure will be in a while,,

Rhonda

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 07:39:50 PM »
My disability representative said they order those mental examinations for applicants who are taking antidepressants and/or list depression on their application.  As stated in previous posts - who wouldn't be depressed with this awful disease and all it offers? 

Ultimately, I still don't know how I did on the examination - SSDI denied my first claim and we are now appealing the decision.  I am requesting copies of the exam - but they want to send it to my PCP first and let them give it to me.   Apparently, this is the norm with mental examinations.  Stupid.  I have Sjogrens - that does not make me dangerous. 

eyeamdry

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 08:32:42 PM »
Rhonda, I never asked or tried to find out what my "psychiatric" test said.  When I got approved in 10 weeks without any trouble, I didn't care what they said on my records.