Author Topic: SSDI Has Ordered a Mental Examination  (Read 7205 times)

Rhonda

SSDI Has Ordered a Mental Examination
« on: August 18, 2010, 02:38:39 PM »
I applied for SSDI June 30th.  I must say I am amazed and impressed by how quickly they are acting on it.  I hired a local disability firm to assist me in the paperwork.   Social Security (SS) sent me several forms in July asking me for more information - of course I completed them and sent them back. 

Today, I got a letter from the SS telling me they need me to have a "Mental Evaluation" before they can further process the claim.  My doctor has ordered me Cymbalta for the Fibro and Trazodone for the sleep difficultly and depression.  In more than one doctors' notes, it is listed that I have "anxiety and depression." 

I phoned my disability rep and they said the mental exam is normal for these diagnoses.  Of course I will go for the exam but I must admit I am a bit unnerved by it.  Who wouldn't be depressed with all of this going on?  I mean, I have gained 30 lbs, can't work, can't sleep, take 2 handfuls of medications daily, had to leave a good paying job and now have no income - so we are forced into financial ruins... who wouldn't be depressed?

Anyone had a Mental Evaluation?  I don't really know what to expect?    Thanks!

eyeamdry

Re: SSDI Has Ordered a Mental Examination
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 05:36:52 PM »
Rhonda--
I'm glad they are processing your claim with speed, or so it seems.  I got SSDI several years ago before I knew I had SS and fibromyalgia.  I did have a lot of eye problems including dryness and other eye/vision problems caused by Lasik surgery a few years before.  They take all of your illnesses, doctors and treatment plans into the mix while trying to finish your case.

You can't imagine what SS is going to do ahead of time.  The best thing to do is remain calm and do what they ask of you.  Usually, they have you see a doctor of their choice.  I know one lady who had serious SJS and they sent her to see a chiropractor.  I filed because of my eyes and they sent me to a psychiatrist.  Honest.  I could not fathom a connection and a psychiatrist knows zippo about eyes and vision. 

They actually make arrangements with the lowest bidder for these services.  It may be a psych, foot doctor, chiropractor etc.  When I went to my psychiatrist for checking out my eyes, he asked me....1.  the name of the current president...2.  count from 100 backwards by 7s, 3. spell "crowd"....4...spell "crowd" backwards.....5.  name two former presidents...............

Nothiing had a thing to do with my eyes.  I was able to answer everything but that didn't give him a notion of my vision.  I got my SSDI  in 10-12 weeks.  I filed myself.  I wouldn't be too concerned about the type of doctor.  Lucky we didn't have to go to a proctologist!  Sounds like your case is moving along.  Lucy

Pisces24

• Hashimotos, Reynards, SJS 03/09; Lymphoma 4/12
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 06:14:48 PM »
I have been on an anti-anxiety med for years.  My gp said it was situational. Well DUH!  At least 90% of the time you can't change your situation.  And changing the way you react to it is a heck of a lot harder than it looks.

Well gosh with what is going on , it is no wonder it bothers a person.
Don't worry about the "mental evaluation".  Gosh we've had to get "mental" on drs to get any results especially the "duh" ones.  A gal finally doesn't want to take the "dr runaround" anymore and she is **itchy but a guy does it and he is 'being proactive". HaHa.
Of course it affects you when then drs tell you it is:  a bug you picked up, all in your head, cancer but you are not sick enough, your cat gave it to you and a host of other excuses when you feel like heck.

Gosh I figure if you don't have some sort of worry, anxiety or depression with SJS you have a mental problealm.  So you are normal.

Rhonda

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 08:56:40 PM »
Thanks guys!  I will let you know how it goes - Appointment is September 3rd!

harlin

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 09:02:27 PM »
Rhonda
I was ordered to undergo an spych eval also. Now I tried to get a copy from the doctor and they tell me they can't release my records to me. I am suppose to call SSDI to see if they will give me a copy. I don't know even what was said on the eval. This stinks, It is about me and I can't get a copy.
Good luck with yours, Harlin

binx

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 10:44:47 PM »
hi rhonda,

i also underwent a psych evaluation for SSDI and it was very much like lucy's experience with the psychiatrist.  i was asked basic questions about who the president is, who wrote 'romeo & juliet', who is martin luther king, etc..  i answered them all, and i was denied.  when i talked to my therapist about it, she said that it is very difficult to receive disability assistance for depression unless you have been basically bedridden with the covers over your head.  i guess in their minds, truly depressed people don't know who shakespeare is or something which i find ridiculous. 

anyway i appealed and was again denied.  i am actually going to my administrative hearing on 8/27 in my third and final attempt at getting them to understand how ill i am and how desperately i need this assistance.  i wish you luck with your appointment!

blessings to you,
binx

eyeamdry

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 11:36:11 PM »
It's odd that my ailment was NOT depression.  It was chance I got a psychiatrist assigned to me.  I imagine people with bad backs get a psychiatrist assigned.   We have heard that from others on this forum too.

Your "test" may be much like mine.  I've heard others say that was their test too.  I don't know how they would rate if you passed it or not.  Just because someone does/does not know the current president does not give one a clue about depression.

I'd just try and stay calm and DO NOT imagine all  sorts of advanced testing.  I think they pay the chiropractor, psych, MD, podiatrist or whomever about $25 to test you and the tester doesn't care as long as he gets his $25.  Wishing you the best.

Rhonda

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 07:43:55 AM »
Thanks all!  I am not trying to get disability for depression - the doctors have listed in in the diagnosis section.  I guess I will go for the exam and take it as it comes - and pray for approval!  Thanks!

LizPetillo

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 08:32:30 AM »
The doctors have me diagnosed with 'anxiety' too.  But the reason I was so upset was because THEY kept misdiagnosing me and THEY giving me the wrong freak'n meds!  All that time I had no idea what was wrong and no one was helping.  Of course I'm going to be upset!

Frustration.

BTW - we had to go to a psychologist to get the 'all clear' when we adopted.
He said we were boring.  No drugs.  No violence.  And we liked to read books for fun.  ha ha

Rhonda

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 08:34:58 AM »
I think I would be considered boring too- don't work, don't have a car at home during the day, so I go nowhere, don't know any neighbors so I don't "neighbor", kids are grown and gone - so it's just me and the dogs!  lol   Boring....  yeah... that would describe me!

navydad

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 11:54:13 AM »
I didnt have to go to any (appts) with SS when I applied,, and truthfully,, I dont know if you have to atend this or not,, I have seen on other forums that you might be able to have your own doctor conduct the Meeting,,, but i am not sure of this, so dont take it for Gospel,, I was fortunate to get approved the first time

Rhonda

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 05:25:07 PM »
Unfortunately, my letter said the appointment is "mandatory and failure to attend will result in the SSDI basing eligibilty on the information we currently have available."  So, I guess I am going!  Glad you got approved first thing - I am nervous - afraid they have already made the decision NO on the SJS, RA, and Fibro - and are now having this to see if I am depressed enough or not.... I don't know - trying not to second guess them and just doing as I am told.  lol!

eyeamdry

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 05:58:31 PM »
Thanks all!  I am not trying to get disability for depression - the doctors have listed in in the diagnosis section.  I guess I will go for the exam and take it as it comes - and pray for approval!  Thanks!

Rhonda, you have come this far and believe SS is moving along quickly on your claim.  Don't do anything to throw a wrench into the mix now.  Go see the psychiatrist like they asked.  I did, even though I was not filing under depression or mental health.  I didn't care if I had to speak to a traffic cop as long as i WAS APPROVED.  I didn't question the psychiatrist, just did as he asked and it took about 10-15 minutes.  I have heard from others they had the same type of questions from a psychiatrist.  I do know that SS has sent me a paper that said "since you are visually impaired...."  This came about 3 years since my disability was approved.  Frankly, I didn't care what they used to approve me.  I did not have SS then. Or I didn't know I had it.

Don't overthink this, just go along with what they want, unless your gut tells you they are way off.  I'm not saying you should walk naked down the street if they want you to.  I could have questioned SS to death about why I was seeing a psych.  I didn't really care.  In the end, it didn't matter, AS I WAS APPROVED WITHIN 10-12 WEEKS.  Good luck and let us know what happens.  Lucy

Rhonda

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 07:20:24 PM »
Thanks Lucy.  I am going to do what they say - and as you said - I don't care what they approve it on - just so it gets approved.

Thank you all for your support.  I will be glad when this is all over....it's nerve racking!

eyeamdry

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 11:08:45 PM »
Rhonda--everyone including my eye doc (who messed up my eyes) told me I'd never get SSDI.  Well, I sort of believed them and thought I'd never know unless I tried.  So, I was dumbfounded when I got it, and got it right away, by myself, with no hearings.  In fact, I got my first check before notification by phone.  May yours come the same way!!

Please quit second guessing yourself.  Listen to others and just smile.  Lucy