Author Topic: Feet swelling? & Methotrexate?  (Read 2542 times)

Karen

Feet swelling? & Methotrexate?
« on: August 19, 2010, 07:25:42 AM »
Hi Everyone, I had a strange thing happen to me when I was away on vacation at the beach, now this has never happened to me ever before.  Last week
we were vacationing at the beach and of course my favorite thing to do is relax on the beach and read, but this year my feet were swelling, mainly the
top of my feet near my toes, as I noticed it the first couple of days I did start to get up several times and walk to try and work it out but it just made it worse,
after we would get off the beach it would take several hours for the swelling to go down.  Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Also, my rheumy is thinking of starting me on methotrexate in the fall, she said she wants to start treating me more aggressively in the fall,winter months
for my lupus/rheumatoid arthritis since those months seem to be my worst.  The more I read about this drug it scares me, I'm only on plaquenil and evoxac
and I've been on these drugs for 4 years.  I will say my symptoms are getting worse and the fall/winter time is very difficult on me and I have a hard time
getting through most days is this the only drug out there or are there others?
thanks!
Karen

harrigan

Re: Feet swelling? & Methotrexate?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 07:49:29 AM »
Can't help with the feet Karen, but the MTX is certainly the standard drug to add to Plaquenil for starters.  The other alternatives are probably more expensive or have greater side effects still.

I took MTX between Feb and July and did feel very tired and sickly the day after my weekly dose, but other than that, nothing else alarming.  Unfortunately it did not work at all for me and I'm now on one of the aternatives, Leflunomide.  If the priority is to get your RA etc under control the side effects may well be worth putting up with.  Good luck and let us know how you get on - hope your feet swelling settles too XX Ailsa
Female, 54
Diagnosed with Sjogrens March 09; Rheumatoid Arthritis February 2010
Meds: abatacept, Methotrexate injections , Folic Acid, Amitriptyline, Ozepramole, Tramacet, Glandosane & Viscotears.

bjnc

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 09:15:32 AM »
MTX did wonders for my psoriatic arthritis for 11 years,  However, I could only tolerate the lowest therapeutic dose.  So eventually I needed something more, but every time they increased it, my white cell counts went low and I got sick, got skin infections, etc.  So I switced to Enbrel for 4 years, now am trying other things.  MTX gave me the aiblity to function and raise three small children, which would have been very, very difficult otherwise.  It also took 4 monts to start working for me, which is much longer than for most people. 

I'd recommend trying it.  Make sure the dr. does frequent bloodwork, etc.  It was definitely worth it for me.

Becky
Female 56, diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis 1986; also have Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease (in my case, a combination of Lupus and Sjogren's), Grave's Disease. Remicade, (a biologic for Ps. Arthritis), Arava, Cymbalta, Evoxac, Trazodone, Synthroid; Miralax

syng4hym

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 10:36:18 AM »
I would think the swelling was due to the extra salt in the air.  If it hasn't happened since getting home, I wouldn't worry about it. 

Methotrexate is an awesome drug modifying medicine.  I also have a terrible time in winter because of the cold.  I wouldn't go off it (I'd even go up on it) for anything.  As you can see from my meds, I take everything.  It's the only way to get through the day, keep working, and do what I have to do. 

Plaquenil has been a miracle drug for me.  No, hasn't taken away ALL my pain, but makes me less fatigued and has taken the edge off the pain so I can get through the day.  Don't know if you're on it, but it's worth a try.