Author Topic: Sjogren's diet tips the doctors don't tell you about.  (Read 16422 times)

SLEEPY101

Re: Sjogren's diet tips the doctors don't tell you about.
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 03:09:18 AM »
@Liz about your questions about the potatoes I would try to limit those because they turn into to sugar.

Healthy carb are good for you so try brown rice.

I have a book called a pain free diet. It suggested that all veggies need to be cooked. I am not sure what the benefits of that would be. I have just skimmed through some parts.

LizPetillo

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 07:33:35 AM »
I'd rather die than restrict my diet like that!
I'm forced to restrict my diet AND I'd rather be dead.
But that's a discussion for another thread, I'm sure.   :(

LizPetillo

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 07:38:22 AM »
Thanks for telling me about the potatos.  I was wondering.
Also .. brown rice and not white rice?  Right?

Anyone know any high calorie foods I can eat that is NOT full of carbs or sugar, etc?
I really need the calories. 

Dr. Andrew Weil has a anti-inflammatory diet that allows a little more variety. His website is drweil.com.
THANK YOU.  I'll look it up.  I only eat a little food now in order to take the plaquinel. 
Otherwise, I obviously don't want to be bothered eating.
In addition to anti-inflammatory, we have to be acid free.  That cuts out the citrus fruits, coffee, soda, etc.

bob212

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 07:48:12 AM »
I've been on an (almost) gluten free diet and one low on processed carbs for about a year and I do think it has made a positive difference. Certainly not a cure but positive.  And BLAND.   I miss bread and sometimes cheat on that.    That frozen brown-rice bread in health food stores is hideous.  There's one brand that's not frozen called "Ener-G" that's OK.  The issue for me is getting enough calories through protein.  So I eat soy yogurt during day (made by Silk-its terrific) and have added more meat and fish.  We are all different but this diet, even absent SJS, is healthy so I really think that those who haven't tried have nothing to lose.

LizPetillo

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 08:37:19 AM »
The issue for me is getting enough calories through protein. 
Me too.  That's why I really need to know what high calorie foods are out there that we can eat. 

God I miss spaghetti!

puccini914

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 09:07:49 AM »
Found this site a while back when looking up Inflammatory foods.  Thoght you might find it interesting.  Of course I don't follow any of this.  Bad me.

[urlhttp://nutrition.about.com/od/dietsformedicaldisorders/a/antiinflamfood.htm][/url]

Kerrikins

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 04:07:29 PM »
There are a lot of gluten free "carb" type products out there, especially pasta, cookies, etc, and they can be quite tasty.  The rice bread is awful but Earth Fare has a millet zucchini bread that is wonderful and I also eat a lot of gluten free cornbread and oatmeal. Amy's frozen meals are a staple for me too, they have so much flavor...with being allergic to wheat, yeast, barley, sesame seeds, avocado,  apples and carrots, I'd probably kill myself if I had to restrict my diet more. Tomatoes are one thing I eat everyday (fresh out of my garden!) and I love coffee and potatoes. For me though, my food allergies were caused by my SJS and being allergic is what causes the inflammatory reaction in my body. Eating things I'm allergic to makes me flare big time, especially the joint pain! Other than avoiding what I'm allergic to though, I try to vary my diet as much as possible. The more often I eat the same thing, the bigger the likelihood I will suddenly become allergic to it. These past few years since I developed clear cut symptoms of SJS, my body has gone haywire.  :o 

Hypermobius

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 04:16:26 PM »
There are a lot of gluten free "carb" type products out there, especially pasta, cookies, etc, and they can be quite tasty.  The rice bread is awful but Earth Fare has a millet zucchini bread that is wonderful and I also eat a lot of gluten free cornbread and oatmeal. Amy's frozen meals are a staple for me too, they have so much flavor...with being allergic to wheat, yeast, barley, sesame seeds, avocado,  apples and carrots, I'd probably kill myself if I had to restrict my diet more. Tomatoes are one thing I eat everyday (fresh out of my garden!) and I love coffee and potatoes. For me though, my food allergies were caused by my SJS and being allergic is what causes the inflammatory reaction in my body. Eating things I'm allergic to makes me flare big time, especially the joint pain! Other than avoiding what I'm allergic to though, I try to vary my diet as much as possible. The more often I eat the same thing, the bigger the likelihood I will suddenly become allergic to it. These past few years since I developed clear cut symptoms of SJS, my body has gone haywire.  :o 

Now that you mention it...I had the same thing happen to me. In my case it was peanut and tree nuts. Peanutbutter cups were my favorite candy for the longest time. As long as I can remember I didn't have any problem at all with any kind of nuts, but now after the SJS hit I suddenly am confirmed allergic to peanuts. I was really shocked when I saw the allergen test positive, although slightly, to peanuts. Now I totally avoid them since they seem to cause major flare ups. I'll have to try that bread you mentioned, too. The rice bread I had tried before that was just awful.

Kerrikins

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 04:58:05 PM »
There is a very strong link between autoimmune disorders and food allergy/intolerance, from what I've been reading. Something about how these diseases make the digestive system more permeable and food protein gets into the blood. It stinks.so.bad. I never know when my body will decide a food I've been enjoying is the enemy :( ...I am 32 years old and was also just Dx in June, what a coincidence. I started getting the allergies when I was 29 though.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 05:03:00 PM by Kerrikins »

LizPetillo

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 07:55:57 AM »
What about bananas?  They have high natural sugar.  So would they be a trigger?  Anyone know?

SLEEPY101

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 07:58:22 AM »
Yep in the book I read foods that fight pain. It said to avoid banana they also cause inflammation.

amk922

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 08:36:18 AM »
I think there is some value in recognizing that there are many foods that can cause inflammation, but for most people, I think going to the extreme is probably not necessary.  I've heard of doctors putting patients on elimination diets where they basically stop eating everything on that list and probably more - then introduce one thing at a time and monitor their symptoms to see what foods actually give them a reaction.  As people have said, for some it may be gluten, for others, nuts, and for others, it may be fried food.  If you believe food is probably a cause of some of your flare ups, it would be worth discussing the elimination diet with your doctor to develop a plan to track down just which ones bother you.
SJS Diagnosis Feb 2006 (age 26)
Fibromyalgia confirmed June 2011 (age 31)
ANA: 878
Anti-Ro SSA: 741

Managing with 400mg Plaqenil per day and 500mg Naproxen up to 2x/day.  Other medications: Clarinex, Singulair, Cymbalta 30mg, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Lunesta.

Calli66

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 10:03:34 AM »
If you live in the Mountain West, USA, go get some UDI'S gluten-free bread. It's the best!

I have been doing really well with Quinoa. I cook up a big pot every week, so that I can have an easy breakfast---a bowl heated in the micro for 2 minutes with "butter" and tamari sauce. My belly is really sensitive, but this grain really seems to agree with me. Easy to cook, too, not gooey or sticky, has balanced protein, fiber, etc. It satisfies my craving for carbs.

Calli

Hypermobius

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010, 12:00:32 PM »
Yeah, I can remember one time in particular when I was working in the lab and had taken a banana with me as a snack. Eating that banana gave me a wicked dizzy spell. It was confusing to me at the time because it was before I was diagnosed. It was like the room whipped around as I was about to sit down. Haven't touch a banana since.

I'm still on the quest for some good gluten-free bread. Unfortunately there are no Earth's Fare or UDI's here in town so I'm been trying to hunt down a millet zucchini bread. Closest thing I found was tapioca bread which will probably be the same tasting as the rice breads  :'(
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:04:12 PM by Hypermobius »

LizPetillo

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 12:37:25 PM »
Bumping this because apparently some folks out there don't know about the anti-inflammatory diet that we should be on.