Author Topic: Sjogren's diet tips the doctors don't tell you about.  (Read 15893 times)

LizPetillo

Sjogren's diet tips the doctors don't tell you about.
« on: August 17, 2010, 10:39:33 AM »
Diet Tips from the Summer Sjogrens Foundation Newsletter to avoid inflammation and to avoid becoming drier.

- Avoid packaged foods with long list of ingredients.
- Avoid fried, barbequed and highly-processed foods
- Avoid trans or hydrogenated fats. 
- Avoid refined oils such as safflower, corn and canola oils.  These become inflammatory
- Avoid common food allergies such as milk products, eggs, gluten from wheat and peanuts. 
- Avoid sweeteners and preservatives.  These tend to promote inflammatory reactions.
- Avoid High Glycemic or Processed foods. 
- Basically NO CARBS such as breads, pastas, cakes, candy, fruit juice or corn syrup.  These quickly turn to sugar which  causes an ?inflammation cascade? because of the insulin.

DO Select raw, fresh, steamed or broiled.
- Pick colorful whole fruits and vegetables
- Pick healthy fats such as fatty fish, avocados, extra-virgin olive oil
- Fiber.  A few tablespoons of ground flax seeds daily
- Pick moderate amounts of organic meat. 
- Pick garlic, ginger, and tumeric which are anti-inflammatory

Diet tips from the Sjogren?s Guide for the Patient  (from the FMS Community Org.)

Avoid Chocolate, nuts, undissolved salt, vinegar and vinegar prepared foods, strong cheese (swiss, cheddar, bleu, Roquefort), high acid foods (tomatoes, citrus fruit and juices) and alcoholic beverages.  Avoid wheat derived products because of the GLIADIN.  This glaidian triggers an ?antiviral? response in the body.  So again .. no breads, pastas, pastries,

Coffee, tea, and sodas have strong acid so they are to be avoided.  Citrus fruits as well.
No oranges, tomatoes, etc.  No orange juice, tomato juice, tomato sauce, etc..

Any big sugar items .. Ice cream, candy, chocolates, Ding-Dongs, Ho-Hos, etc .. are to be avoided.  Same with snack items with carbs or wheat such as cookies and crackers, etc

Some sites say to stay away from processed meats because the additives and the sugars that are added also contribute to inflammation, which also contributes to more dryness. 

So what does that leave us??

Fresh veggies such as carrots, green beans, broccoli, peas. 
Some salad fixings like lettuce and black olives. 
Chicken, turkey, fish, pheasant.
Plain burgers without any additives or fillers.
Steak on occasion is okay.
I think ham and bacon might be okay.  They are processed but I?ve been okay with them.

I?m wondering about potatoes, or French fries.  And I?m wondering about rice too. 
Those are a starch, but they are carbs, right? 
Carbs mean sugar which means insulin which is inflammatory which means pain and dryness.

If Rice is Okay does that mean Rice Krispies are okay?  I really want some cereal.

Anyone know anything else we can add to our ?okay to eat? list.
After 4 months I?m freak?n tired of chicken and lettuce.

bloodless

Re: Sjogren's diet tips the doctors don't tell you about.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 10:56:32 AM »
Geese Louise! I'm not a rabbit. Everything listed we're not supposed to eat are my favorites! No chocolate? Kill me now. Needless to say, I'm not gonna do well with that diet.

All jokes aside, Thanks for the list. I was completely unaware foods could cause inflammation. I will try to incorporate some of them into and out of my diet. I do use flaxseed, so my diet's not all bad.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

gsmraxe

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 11:19:23 AM »
Oh wow, I think I'll take my chances with the carbs.

I bake a lot, I love chocolate chip cookies, and I just can't bring myself to give `em up.  I also make quick bread with fruit pulp from my fresh juicing, I can't give that up either.   :D

LizPetillo

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 12:40:28 PM »
I have found I have no choice.  I HAVE to follow what they said.

If I try to eat spaghetti .. even plain without sauce ... or any kind of bread, then for the next 2 days my tongue is swollen and I'm extra, extra dried up.   My submandibulars get inflammed and they shut down what little they are working.

Dagnabit .. I want some spaghetti with meat sauce and some garlic bread to go with it.

heck .. I'd settle for a coffee and a hersheys bar. 

Sheltiemom

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 12:55:16 PM »
Liz,

Well thanks for posting this - have no doubt it is the right thing to do.

Everything I live on is in the "no" column.  All dairy products, wheat, oats, eggs, hate salad anymore but eat green leafy veggies, fish, love dairy products, chocaholic, cookiecakeaholic, icecreamaholic, Italian food. 

For a non-meateater, where is the necessary daily protein supposed to come from?  Fish, chicken maybe and what else?  Can anybody answer this.

Bummer,

Sheltiemom

bloodless

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 02:31:45 PM »
ok Liz, gmrxae, now I'm hungry. I want spaghetti with meatballs with garlic bread and chocolate chip cookies for dessert.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

season

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 05:20:41 PM »
Fruits and Vegetables?   NO Way.

Hypermobius

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 06:37:03 PM »
I follow this to a tee. Like LizPetillo I do it because I have to otherwise I get major flare-ups. Actually it's working quite well for me.

ohiolady

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 06:50:02 PM »
Dr. Andrew Weil has a anti-inflammatory diet that allows a little more variety.   He is a Harvard trained MD who practices integrative medicine blending tradtional medicine with alternative medicine.  Diet is a very important part of his treatment.  Most doctors recommend the Mediteranean diet.  His website is drweil.com.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 59

drylady

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 07:37:12 PM »
Hi,

I definitely think about changing my diet. I need to lose weight and have PCOS , so I am pre-diabetic. Hypermobius I see in your sig that you are gluten free. How has changing your diet helped you? I am curious. Thanks.
33 years old. Plaquenil 200mg (2x), Evoxac 30mg (3 x).

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 08:01:15 PM »
Hi  :)

I'm one of the lucky ones who simply does not feel ill enough to even try to abide by that diet. Food is one of life's pleasures and I'd rather die than restrict my diet like that!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

chelle

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 08:12:18 PM »
I used to think Gluten-free was insane. There's be nothing left to eat?!? I'd starve to death!

My reflux started getting worse,despite Zoton. I was getting stomach pains, indigestion, bloating (if one more person said "Are you expecting a 4th child?" !!). Had an endoscopy to rule out any nasties like celiacs (An autoimmune condition that is common with SJS). It all came back clean. So I bit the bullet and went Gluten-free as an experiment just to see if it was possible, to see what would happen to me.

Well, my bloating disappeared, I haven't had a stomach pain or any indigestion and I'm now considering cutting out my Zoton. Its been nearly 6 months and I haven't felt better. My gastro doctor said I was probably either gluten intolerant or wheat intolerant. It doesn't kill you but can make life distinctly uncomfortable!
Not to mention I've really enjoyed discovering gluten-free food. There's heaps of it around. I've discovered millions of healthy new recipes. The whole family is pretty much gluten-free (They haven't noticed yet!) as I'm the cook.

I've also since learnt that gluten intolerance is not uncommon if you have any celtic ancestory, which I have in spades!

Hypermobius

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 10:31:06 PM »
I'd have to agree with everything chelle just mentioned. I had almost constant nausea, stomach/abdominal pains, and dizziness before I switched. Sometimes after a gluten heavy meal I would have what seemed like two huge knots in my abdomen. Now a month into it, I think I'm starting to see the benefits. The real kicker for me was the dietary supplements, especially the acetyl L-Carnitine and fish oil. My sister emailed me the other day saying how trendy gluten-free dieting is haha! I noticed that a few of the restaurants here are starting to incorporate a gluten-free selection in their menus now, which makes eating out a lot easier.

My only word of caution in going gluten-free is the nearly doubled cost of gluten-free foods sold at the supermarket. As I've learned through trial and error, double the price doesn't mean twice as good tasting..as some of the overpriced items I've tried were horrible. On the other hand, there are some really tasty things I never would have guessed were gluten-free. 

I'm happy to say, I've been doing much better. The motion sickness I used to get while driving is finally starting to subside as well as a lot of my other symptoms. It's a tough change, but for me so far it's been worth it.

SLEEPY101

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 10:49:10 PM »
It sad because before I got sick I had all the will the power ito diet and eat right. I was phyically fit and lost 70 pounds and kept it off 1yr and a half before I got sick. But now that I am sick it is harder to keep to a diet. I think one reason is because I am tired and stick to things that are easy and don't get to the gocerery very often anymore.

Have you heard of a high Alkaline diet? I have a male  cousin who suffered with Fibro for 15 years. He found out that he was had Lymes not Fibro. He had to be a IV treatments for several months. The Dr put him on this diet so his body would absorb the meds better. He also lost 50 pounds in a few months. He continues on this diet. I have considered trying this.

Suzie

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 02:13:15 AM »
I followed a very similar eating program 7 years ago after getting Hashimoto's Throiditis. I had 40 pounds to lose and horrible gut symptoms.

I was really motivated to stick to it - the gas situation was beyond awful and after many nights spent in the garden in the cold so as not to inflict it on my famiy, I was ready to try anything.

It worked beautifully. I lost weight, gained energy and normalised my gastro-intestinal function.

After a year, I fell off the wagon. And the weight crept back on.

But if you have the will-power, I can attest to the health benefits of eating a Plant-Strong diet.

I'm going to start easing back into it. Thank you for flagging this up for me. I really need to do it.

Suzie